Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I noted, plaid sport is 0 to 60 in 3.5 and LR insane is 3.1.
I ordered a Plaid and a Long Range model S Jan 28 2021. We also put a deposit on a 2nd long range on 1/29/21 incase we changed our mind about the Plaid. We still haven’t gotten the 2nd long range order (reservation 1144) I got the Plaid early August and the 1st long range the end of Sept. Here is the experience I had. The yoke. I got used to it in about 2 weeks but I have never driven on a tight curvy road where my hands rotated very quickly. The Plaid is scary above 60 mph but both vehicles will give you tunnel vision during full acceleration. After I scared a half a dozen people in my Plaid I got my wife’s Long range and I can say the plaid is not worth the extra money. I could barely tell them apart. I got MSM for both and black interior. The long range handles better (feels a little lighter) rides better (I have 19”tires on the long range and had 21’s on the Plaid) and brakes a little better. (same brakes but lighter car)
The long range has gone up 15k and I’m not surprised because the plaid is not worth $50k more. That was the price difference when I ordered. Tesla is laughing all the way to the bank selling the Plaid for 50k more than the long range. I’m laughing too as I was able to sell my Plaid for $24,000 more than I paid and that was after paying 11k in CA sales tax on that car. I love the Model S LR and I feel strongly that it’s the better deal. I really feel like I dodged a bullet being able to get my money back and then some on the Plaid. It’s only advantage was pulling like a jet aircraft from 60. You really need some smooth large sections of asphalt to pull it off safely. Yes it was amazing but the long range still wows me every time I accelerate beating even Charger hellcats easily.
I can say from my Draggy that the Plaids average 0-60 was 2.41 and the long range was 3.11.
People who think they can feel a difference of 7/10 of a second from zero to 60 are crazy.
The long range will do 11 second quarter miles
at 125mph. That’s crazy.
If you get a Plaid the only reason is not the zero to 60 time it’s the 60 to 150 time. That is where it feels like you are being catapulted off an aircraft carrier. The long range still moves after 60 but the plaid motors seem to spin up faster.
I wish everyone had a chance to try both for a few months because if they did they would be thrilled with their decision to get the long range.
I think it’s the secret Tesla doesn’t want you to know.

I ordered a Plaid and a Long Range model S Jan 28 2021. We also put a deposit on a 2nd long range on 1/29/21 incase we changed our mind about the Plaid. We still haven’t gotten the 2nd long range order (reservation 1144) I got the Plaid early August and the 1st long range the end of Sept. Here is the experience I had. The yoke. I got used to it in about 2 weeks but I have never driven on a tight curvy road where my hands rotated very quickly. The Plaid is scary above 60 mph but both vehicles will give you tunnel vision during full acceleration. After I scared a half a dozen people in my Plaid I got my wife’s Long range and I can say the plaid is not worth the extra money. I could barely tell them apart. I got MSM for both and black interior. The long range handles better (feels a little lighter) rides better (I have 19”tires on the long range and had 21’s on the Plaid) and brakes a little better. (same brakes but lighter car)
The long range has gone up 15k and I’m not surprised because the plaid is not worth $50k more. That was the price difference when I ordered. Tesla is laughing all the way to the bank selling the Plaid for 50k more than the long range. I’m laughing too as I was able to sell my Plaid for $24,000 more than I paid and that was after paying 11k in CA sales tax on that car. I love the Model S LR and I feel strongly that it’s the better deal. I really feel like I dodged a bullet being able to get my money back and then some on the Plaid. It’s only advantage was pulling like a jet aircraft from 60. You really need some smooth large sections of asphalt to pull it off safely. Yes it was amazing but the long range still wows me every time I accelerate beating even Charger hellcats easily.
I can say from my Draggy that the Plaids average 0-60 was 2.41 and the long range was 3.11.
People who think they can feel a difference of 7/10 of a second from zero to 60 are crazy.
at 125mph. That’s crazy.
If you get a Plaid the only reason is not the zero to 60 time it’s the 60 to 150 time. That is where it feels like you are being catapulted off an aircraft carrier. The long range still moves after 60 but the plaid motors seem to spin up faster.
I wish everyone had a chance to try both for a few months because if they did they would be thrilled with their decision to get the long range.
Lol I saw your exact comment on the "Poor man's Plaid" long range review on YouTube. Thanks for letting us know your thoughts. It's rare to find someone who has both LR and the Plaid.

at 125mph. That’s crazy.
Awesome assessment!
Wondering how much your opinion on the MSLR changes at current pricing?

I waited too long and didn’t order until after all the price increases 😭…still debating if it’s wiser to save the money and get a MYP or M3P instead?
I hate the thought of compromising and missing out on a lot of additional features though.
I’ve been eyeing the MS for a long time and am finally in a pretty good financial position to be able to afford one, but have never bought a car this expensive before.

Yes, but I was wondering what's your opinion on the difference between plaid in sport mode and insane mode? Is it a huge difference or just minuscule? I saw on YouTube this guy in the comments who own both models and he said he could barely tell the difference. So because of that he just sold the plaid and kept the long range.
Couldn't tell you. I only drove it in sport mode. Next time, I'll try it in sport and plaid modes to see the difference. I may have my long range by then, so I'll be used to it in insane mode.

Well finally got an EDD again. I had a VIN assigned back at the end of Nov but it was going to come while out of the country so I pushed it this year. Today I just got my new EDD of 2/10-3/10. The timing works out great now and can't wait. Maybe I'll get the refreshed taillight but after waiting so long, I don't really care.

Reactions: chrisdh79
Awesome assessment!

I waited too long and didn’t order until after all the price increases 😭…still debating if it’s wiser to save the money and get a MYP or M3P instead?
I hate the thought of compromising and missing out on a lot of additional features though.
I’ve been eyeing the MS for a long time and am finally in a pretty good financial position to be able to afford one, but have never bought a car this expensive before.
The model three performance gives you an acceleration experience that gives you the tunnel vision like the long range does but the long range model S doesn’t slow down after 60 like the performance does. The handling is the Model 3 performances strength. The S handles really well but the tighter the turns the better the 3 is. The ride on the S is better for road trips and feels a little more luxury. The suspensions ability to raise and lower is really nice.
I think that Tesla raise in the pricing on the model S long range and not on the plaid brings it more in line because now it’s $35,000 more for the plaid whereas before it was 50 and that just didn’t make any sense after driving them both.
The S to me is more unique than the 3 and when it was $79,995 it was easy to choose over a model 3 performance. Now a bit more difficult.
I would still choose the S. The Yoke while not perfect is cool. The stereo is amazing but still impressive on the 3. The rear seat room. The front seat comfort. The range on the long range with a full battery is about 335 (19”) The plaid was 280 (21” wheels) that’s my experience with a lot of 75-85 mph highway driving.
Like you I have never bought a car this expensive. There is a law of diminishing returns. As you spend more you get more just not in the proportion of the money spent. I might have to try doing a you tube video on the long range S because it’s the Diamond in the rough.

at 125mph. That’s crazy.
Thanks so much for sharing. Your empirical experience aligns with my gut reaction regarding going with either the Plaid or LR. When I originally looked at the specs, Tesla was quoting (and still is) 670HP in the LR. That amount of HP coupled with all the instant on torque made me pretty sure that it would make for a very fun street car even if not as quick as the Plaid. I have a lot of hyper quick motorcycles and I can't tell you how rarely I can really exercise their potential on the street and the Plaid would be the same. I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

The times you quoted for Draggy on the LR, was that with our without rollout? Tesla is claiming 3.1 without rollout. Which if compared to how you they measured the M3P and the Plaid, should put it about 2.8-2.9 or so w/rollout. I've posted Motortrend's 2019 quickest AWD sports cars below (pretty similar to R&T's list). The LR fits in with some very quick and expensive supercars quite nicely. Not bad for a 4 door sedan. I think the LR is far and away the best bang for the buck of the Tesla lineup. WIth the money I saved by not buying a Plaid, it paid for our Model Y LR. I can tell you I'll use the capabilities of the MY far more than I would the extra acceleration of the Plaid. Still respect the Plaid a lot but the LR is an awesome street car for the $$$. Diminishing returns always show up at some point.

Quickest AWD Sports Cars 0-60 MPH​

1. 2019 Jaguar XE SV Project 8: 3.2 seconds
  2. 2017 Acura NSX: 3.1 seconds
  3. 2017 Porsche 911 Targa 4 GTS: 3.0 seconds
  4. 2014 Nissan GT-R Track Edition: 2.7 seconds
  5. 2005 Bugatti Veyron 16.4: 2.7 seconds
  6. 2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus: 2.6 seconds
  7. 2018 Lamborghini Huracán Performante: 2.6 seconds
  8. 2019 Lamborghini Aventador SVJ: 2.5 seconds
  9. 2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S: 2.5 seconds
  10. 2015 Porsche 918 Spyder: 2.4 seconds

Another update since yesterday:

My EDD has tightened to a 6 day window, from a 4 week window. It was Jan 21 - Feb 18. It is now Jan 18 - Jan 24.

I wouldn't normally report this, but what is significant is that I also got assigned a new VIN (NF464).

I hope this is a positive sign for other East Coast people. And I hope that my VIN doesn't disappear again. Fingers crossed.
Woah i hope this means something for me too. Has there been a pattern for East Coast deliveries? Starts getting assigned from North to South maybe???

Well finally got an EDD again. I had a VIN assigned back at the end of Nov but it was going to come while out of the country so I pushed it this year. Today I just got my new EDD of 2/10-3/10. The timing works out great now and can't wait. Maybe I'll get the refreshed taillight but after waiting so long, I don't really care.
Wonder if they still honor the original price if you reject a Vin?

guys already 300+ on my new MSLR. today while driving I was talking to a friend of mine one blue tooth and he commented that the call quality was horrible compared to when I was in my BMW yesterday. Has anyone heard of issue with blue tooth call quality??
My 2018 MS100D had poorer audio quality over BT compared to other vehicles. People cannot hear me well when I was using BT.

DAMN! i just called to get matched to a LR Red/White i saw in the inventory in LA and someone beat me to it... To whomever that secured a Red with White Interior LR 19" congrats on getting a quicker person on the phone.
I was even willing to pay the 2k trasport fee...

Side note: the guy i spoke to on the phone didn't even try to look into my account. He just gave me a token "when you look into your account, there will be a delivery Estimate." I had to push him to get him to do anything.

Awesome assessment!

Every time my head goes there I remember why I wanted the S, air suspension and rear seat leg room