Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got to drive my son in law's plaid. It's black black with graphite and 21 inch wheels. My ordered LR has 19 inch wheels.
Since the day I placed my order I have been driving as if I had the yoke and controls of the new S. I even go so far as to swipe my dashboard for forward and reverse. I find that easier than my cars actual shifter which is console mounted. I have been driving with 9 and 3 hand position for a long time anyway.

I found driving the real thing to be instantly comfortable and familiar as a result. On a local traffic circle that requires my reaching for the turn signal stalk with a wheel, my hand never leaves the yoke to signal the exit from the circle. The yoke is a total non issue and I love it.

The horn button....press it and the horn beeps. Do a quick emergency press covering the entire right spoke of the yoke and the horn gives 3 quick beeps. This is the only extra muscle memory i will need to reinforce.

I then set his suspension to comfort mode with suspension set to high, which is where I will be on our local horrible roads at speeds below 40 mph or so. I also wanted to soften the harsher 21 inch wheels to try ro simulate the 19s on my car. The ride was very pleasant and not harsh at all. Most road imperfections simply vanished.

While doing a 3 point turn in an empty parking lot, the proximity alert went off when I was about to drive into a large pot hole. I was going slowly and was able to steer around it, which silenced the alarm. I didn't know it was looking at the road surface that way. I have driven a GM vehicle with magnetorheological shock absorbers that does scan the road for changes that it adjusts the shocks for in real time. I guess the Model S does something similar.

The ARNR system was on and when we first started out it said calibrating, then switched to calibrated for front seat passengers. The only audible sound in the cabin was the tires which started out as a hiss that became a noticeably quieter hiss as the system calibrated. Don't know what the 19s will sound like, but they have a larger internal cavity, so it will be a bit different. Absolutely no other noise was noticable, including the back up sound as I backed into his driveway. It's amazingly quiet and smooth.

Finally, I did a few acceleration runs from 20 to 60 with it in sport mode. This gives a 3.5 second 0 to 60 compared to the LR 3.1 second time. This level of performance never gets old.

All in all I think it was a good simulation of what my LR will be like to drive. I had grown a bit complacent with all the delays but I am again crazy excited to get it.
I see why everyone says it's worth the wait.

P.S. his car had no defects on delivery, all parts were present and he does not have the center of the yoke worm.

I finally got to drive my son in law's plaid. It's black black with graphite and 21 inch wheels. My ordered LR has 19 inch wheels.
Since the day I placed my order I have been driving as if I had the yoke and controls of the new S. I even go so far as to swipe my dashboard for forward and reverse. I find that easier than my cars actual shifter which is console mounted. I have been driving with 9 and 3 hand position for a long time anyway.

I found driving the real thing to be instantly comfortable and familiar as a result. On a local traffic circle that requires my reaching for the turn signal stalk with a wheel, my hand never leaves the yoke to signal the exit from the circle. The yoke is a total non issue and I love it.

The horn button....press it and the horn beeps. Do a quick emergency press covering the entire right spoke of the yoke and the horn gives 3 quick beeps. This is the only extra muscle memory i will need to reinforce.

I then set his suspension to comfort mode with suspension set to high, which is where I will be on our local horrible roads at speeds below 40 mph or so. I also wanted to soften the harsher 21 inch wheels to try ro simulate the 19s on my car. The ride was very pleasant and not harsh at all. Most road imperfections simply vanished.

While doing a 3 point turn in an empty parking lot, the proximity alert went off when I was about to drive into a large pot hole. I was going slowly and was able to steer around it, which silenced the alarm. I didn't know it was looking at the road surface that way. I have driven a GM vehicle with magnetorheological shock absorbers that does scan the road for changes that it adjusts the shocks for in real time. I guess the Model S does something similar.

The ARNR system was on and when we first started out it said calibrating, then switched to calibrated for front seat passengers. The only audible sound in the cabin was the tires which started out as a hiss that became a noticeably quieter hiss as the system calibrated. Don't know what the 19s will sound like, but they have a larger internal cavity, so it will be a bit different. Absolutely no other noise was noticable, including the back up sound as I backed into his driveway. It's amazingly quiet and smooth.

Finally, I did a few acceleration runs from 20 to 60 with it in sport mode. This gives a 3.5 second 0 to 60 compared to the LR 3.1 second time. This level of performance never gets old.

All in all I think it was a good simulation of what my LR will be like to drive. I had grown a bit complacent with all the delays but I am again crazy excited to get it.

P.S. his car had no defects on delivery, all parts were present and he does not have the center of the yoke worm.
Thanks for your very informative review. You made my day and make me exceptionally excited to get my LR MS. Can't wait, and thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm curious on what the long range feels like vs the plaid and how much of a difference it makes. From what I've gathered plaid sport mode has the same acceleration/speed as long range insane mode.

Reactions: MEL-22
I'm curious on what the long range feels like vs the plaid and how much of a difference it makes. From what I've gathered plaid sport mode has the same acceleration/speed as long range insane mode.
I typically drive my 2022 Tesla Model S Long Range in Sport mode and it is very exhilarating. Insane mode is...aggressive and fast... I've learned a few things in my short driving experience. Always put the car in Chill mode for new, valet or test drivers...and likely wifey too. Use Insane mode to show off and then switch back. Remind people that drive your Tesla, ten times, that although it will go 0-60 in 3.1 seconds, you can't stop the car in 3.1 seconds at 60 MPH, so be SMART!

My car had one minor issue on delivery and some missing trunk parts, but as of yesterday, all have been addressed. The Tesla Service experience is different...but if your car needs time to service, they either get you a loaner, or in my case, an Uber voucher to leave and return when the service is complete.

My impression so far? The car is amazing and the technology is distractive and a bit overwhelming until you spend some time with it...and after that, the Tesla is cool as *sugar*...and I spend a good amount of time telling people that when they ask...

For all those waiting...I believe it is definitely worth it, even given the Tesla delivery experience...

Last edited:
Good news, everyone! I just got hired as an SA for Tesla! I completed their training, and as a favor to all of you, I reviewed your orders, and can provide you with the following updates:

1 - All Tesla orders are now marked as a priority. Of course, since everyone is a priority, your EDD remains the same.

2 - You all should get your car before the end of January. But our system has a bug and is hiding the year value for now.

3 - I have validated that the EDD is eventually 100% accurate.

4 - For a limited time, I can offer you a great deal on a Tesla Plaid. Just pay the original price, and you've got your deal.

5 - I have found soft matches for all of you, closely matching your configuration. Except the VIN number is earlier than 2021, and the car will have a tad more miles than what you're expecting. And there's no yoke. Nor any noise cancelling system. Nor any ventilated seating. And less range. But it's a soft match!

Good news, everyone! I just got hired as an SA for Tesla! I completed their training, and as a favor to all of you, I reviewed your orders, and can provide you with the following updates:

1 - All Tesla orders are now marked as a priority. Of course, since everyone is a priority, your EDD remains the same.

2 - You all should get your car before the end of January. But our system has a bug and is hiding the year value for now.

3 - I have validated that the EDD is eventually 100% accurate.

4 - For a limited time, I can offer you a great deal on a Tesla Plaid. Just pay the original price, and you've got your deal.

5 - I have found soft matches for all of you, closely matching your configuration. Except the VIN number is earlier than 2021, and the car will have a tad more miles than what you're expecting. And there's no yoke. Nor any noise cancelling system. Nor any ventilated seating. And less range. But it's a soft match!
Sounds amazing

Curious as to why you have a Nov order of LR on hold?
My EDD has basically stayed at June 2022 since my order, but last week got a call from an SA saying a matching vehicle was available if I picked it up the next day. Unfortunately, I was out of town, had not set up insurance, transferred money, etc. so I had to decline the offer. Never even found out if it was a MF or NF VIN. The SA put my order on hold until Jan 16th. I'll be back in town a couple days before that, so I'll take the order off hold and see where the chips fall.

Reactions: chrisdh79
If someone is interested in the existing inventory then there is something available in the Bay Area for Blue Model S LR - 21"wheels. Black interior.

I keep an eye on the inventory too and these go so quick. They sell out in hours. I've also noticed the number of Plaids available keeps dropping and more and more LR show up. I think this is a good sign that they are building more LR now.

As I noted, plaid sport is 0 to 60 in 3.5 and LR insane is 3.1.
Yes, but I was wondering what's your opinion on the difference between plaid in sport mode and insane mode? Is it a huge difference or just minuscule? I saw on YouTube this guy in the comments who own both models and he said he could barely tell the difference. So because of that he just sold the plaid and kept the long range.

• Informative
Reactions: jackk