Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So any idea on when you need to have insurance in place for delivery in Texas? Just got a text saying I needed to have it in place for the 27th and my EDD is Sept 2-5. Seemed weird to have to pay for insurance for two weeks when i don’t own the car.
Get insurance, but tell them to not set it to active till 9/2. Then as your date approaches and it’s solidified, move the date with insurance. You will have proof of coverage with your VIN, which is what Tesla requires.

Get insurance, but tell them to not set it to active till 9/2. Then as your date approaches and it’s solidified, move the date with insurance. You will have proof of coverage with your VIN, which is what Tesla requires.
Thank you. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t need it as of 8/27, which is what I was arguing with the guy about.

Thank you. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t need it as of 8/27, which is what I was arguing with the guy about.
Nope. They just want the insurance with the VIN. I had to do the same in 2019 - remove my current car (trade-in) and ‘activate’ the policy on my new car all in the same day.

PS. What did you order? Westchase has three or four Plaids as of this morning.

Reactions: feixingyuan
On Friday I got a VIN. White/Black/19s/No FSD. EDD updated to 8/29-9/3. Ordered pre-refresh. VIN ending in 439XXX. Delivery at Peabody MA.

Today, my SA called to schedule my delivery for Sept 2. He said the car is scheduled to be delivered to the SC on 9/1 and they'll prep it within 24 hours. Fingers crossed!

Super exciting to hear MSLR coming to the same Tesla store I am waiting to take my delivery! Any chance you'd be willing to let others see the it?

Exactly, I have an M3 and was thinking of Taycan (a bit of a financial stretch for me) or Mach E GT due to long delays and poor customer service (Rn1148). But I could never have gone to Tahoe, Yosemite or the Sierras in anything other than tesla. Would like to get away from Tesla but can't. I seriously doubt they will open up SCs, another elon empty/false promise
I've been considering a Taycan all along. I own Porsches. I decided that I wouldn't be able to take it on long trips due to the woeful charging infrastructure. If I thought Superchargers were really going to be opened up by the end of the year, I might change my mind - but that ain't happening.exact same

To help resolve the model year question, check the 10th digit of your VIN. It identifies your car's official model year per the manufacturer. Here's a table for easy reference.
View attachment 700011
Here's a question for Tesla owners who received their cars in the Oct. - Dec. time period during the past couple of years. Did your VINs show a model year for the current or upcoming calendar year?

Also, here' a little more info about what's included in the VIN.
1629685537340.png

So any idea on when you need to have insurance in place for delivery in Texas? Just got a text saying I needed to have it in place for the 27th and my EDD is Sept 2-5. Seemed weird to have to pay for insurance for two weeks when i don’t own the car.
Do you already have a car currently insured in Texas ? If so, you can use that policy to buy the new Tesla. There is a grace period in Texas where new car purchases are covered by your existing insurance. You might call your agent to see how it works. I’ve done this about 10 times, and called in my new VIN when I had the car in hand. Check your policy, you have 4, or 14 days depending on the coverage you want. Tesla has accepted this coverage for the 3 cars I’ve purchased from them in Texas.
71660DD8-C3A8-4531-BFF6-05126FB327E2.jpeg
F71F8318-9BF4-43EA-A437-A8DEAFBF6D80.jpeg

Last edited:
Estimated delivery dates moved up to just 2-3 weeks away, 11-day window — anxiety about the car is going down. I was prompted to look when someone with the same EDDs had their's moved out a month; life isn't fair. But now I'm hunting for one-inch EMT conduit fittings for the new Wall Connector. Yes, I do my own electrical work. Butch Cassidy: "You're worried about bad wiring? Are you crazy? The battery fire will probably kill you."

RN1144 / ordered January 27, 2021 / Long range / Red / Cream / 19-inch / I’ll drive, thank you / Est. delivery: September 5 - September 16 , Mt. Kisco, no VIN.

To help resolve the model year question, check the 10th digit of your VIN. It identifies your car's official model year per the manufacturer. Here's a table for easy reference.
View attachment 700011
I just used this chart to look at the 2 Volvos I own. A 2019 and a 2021. My 10th position letter corresponds to this chart, for both vehicles. Useful information, thanks. Now, as soon as I get my VIN, I'll know what model year I'm getting.

I ordered in late May 2021 (5/28/21) and received RN1150XXXXX – Refresh 2021 Model S Long Range, white exterior, black interior, 19" Wheels and FSD...

My EDD was updated on 8/10/21 to 11/28/21 - 12/18/21 and then...
updated to 11/17/21 – 12/7/21 on 8/13/21
updated to 11/22/21 – 12/12/21 on 8/14/21
updated to 11/21/21 – 12/11/21 on 8/15/21
updated to 11/22/21 – 12/12/21 on 8/17/21
updated to 12/7/21 – 12/27/21, today, on 8/22/21
This whole process confuses me. I’ve never sat in a Tesla or even an EV. Never bought a car I wasn’t at least familiar with. Not in a big yank to get one quick, but Tesla sets expectations to which you get excited about. Then move the goal.

Your order confuses me yet again. I ordered mine on 6/27 with the exact same build. My EDD has been steady for the last week at 10/27-11/16. Changing from September to October November and December.

They say it’s worth it. We’ll see.