Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is complete false advertising. I am not sure why there is not a bigger fuss being raised about them completely missing the EDD marks on every single order and not by a little. I am sure this mostly applies to S/X orders but Tesla does not care at all. It has definitely soured my experience.
To be completely fair, each car requires like 10,000 parts, each with its own supply chain, from all over the world. You only get the car built when you have all 10,000 parts in one place (fremont). Any issues with any vendors, for any reason, will affect the timing of the final product - you are only as fast as the slowest supplier. And that's to say nothing about quality control, unexpected disruptions, the scale which Tesla operates, immaturity of supply chain overall given the infancy of EV, current global supply chain issues, etc.

In the past I have worked at Apple supply chain, which has a world class reputation under Tim Cook, and I can tell you it's got nothing on Tesla, in terms of shear complexity.

So, if you are Tesla, what options do you have regarding EDD? 1) stick with the original parts and wait, even if they are in shortage, as new qualification and internal adjustment processes add to the complexity of the supply chain further (basically the GM/F route), 2) provide the most pessimistic EDD and have customers pleasantly surprised, 3) provide the most update to date EDD based on what Tesla knows about the supply chain real time. Note 2) would still create disappointments at times, as some supply chain disruptions will still happen, furthermore, not sure getting an Oct EDD and all of the sudden being told to pick up the car in March is good for everyone either.

I am not trying to defend everything Tesla does - their customer service could definitely be better - but I do want to point out when it comes to EDD it's not all up to Tesla and their hands are tied somewhat due its huge dependency to its suppliers - and to a certain extent, their own agility, as qualifying new suppliers to replace unavailable ones adds complexity, uncertainty, and execution risk.

To be completely fair, each car requires like 10,000 parts, each with its own supply chain, from all over the world. You only get the car built when you have all 10,000 parts in one place (fremont). Any issues with any vendors, for any reason, will affect the timing of the final product - you are only as fast as the slowest supplier. And that's to say nothing about quality control, unexpected disruptions, the scale which Tesla operates, immaturity of supply chain overall given the infancy of EV, current global supply chain issues, etc.

In the past I have worked at Apple supply chain, which has a world class reputation under Tim Cook, and I can tell you it's got nothing on Tesla, in terms of shear complexity.

So, if you are Tesla, what options do you have regarding EDD? 1) stick with the original parts and wait, even if they are in shortage, as new qualification and internal adjustment processes add to the complexity of the supply chain further (basically the GM/F route), 2) provide the most pessimistic EDD and have customers pleasantly surprised, 3) provide the most update to date EDD based on what Tesla knows about the supply chain real time. Note 2) would still create disappointments at times, as some supply chain disruptions will still happen, furthermore, not sure getting an Oct EDD and all of the sudden being told to pick up the car in March is good for everyone either.

I am not trying to defend everything Tesla does - their customer service could definitely be better - but I do want to point out when it comes to EDD it's not all up to Tesla and their hands are tied somewhat due its huge dependency to its suppliers - and to a certain extent, their own agility, as qualifying new suppliers to replace unavailable ones adds complexity, uncertainty, and execution risk.
I think providing ANY sort of EDD based on reality would be fine. What they are currently doing is just placeholders that get bumped forward endlessly based on a calendar. Ive had a 1 month range since 9/x-9/30 that moves back 1 month every time I enter it. Thats not supply chain. Thats lazy programming.

I think providing ANY sort of EDD based on reality would be fine. What they are currently doing is just placeholders that get bumped forward endlessly based on a calendar. Ive had a 1 month range since 9/x-9/30 that moves back 1 month every time I enter it. Thats not supply chain. Thats lazy programming.
I decided to call BOA to setup financing and the loan officer cautioned me. She said she has done hundreds of Tesla loans and more often than not, people get the car sooner than they expect. I stopped her short and said yeah- that is not the case for this....

Exactly. It is deceiving, dishonest, misleading. Any number of words you want to use. They need and can do better they just choose not to. You literally have zero clue when your car is going to arrive and then when it does you have 72hrs to pick it up lol. It's wild.

For those who have been provided a soft match date, how many times has it changed before receiving a VIN. Last week I was told a build date of 2/3. Then earlier this week my EDD Went from 2/10-2/24 to 5/1-5/29. Today received an updated soft match of 3/1. Trying to figure out if the car I ordered in June has any potential of arriving anytime soon.

For those who have been provided a soft match date, how many times has it changed before receiving a VIN. Last week I was told a build date of 2/3. Then earlier this week my EDD Went from 2/10-2/24 to 5/1-5/29. Today received an updated soft match of 3/1. Trying to figure out if the car I ordered in June has any potential of arriving anytime soon.
How did you receive a soft match? Did they call it a soft match?

You are underestimating the complexity of Tesla supply chain, especially in the face of the unprecedented post-covid global supply chain shortage.

We all see your point about newer RN's getting delivery with no rhyme or reason and this being an opportunity. Honestly there's nothing that will guarantee you a problem free car even if you wait for your original order to come through. Your MF430 has probably had a lot of inspection in it's short life. Who knows, it could be perfect now.
Best of luck with whatever you decide.
So I caved in and decided to get it, I managed to get to 3k discount and I am talking delivery on the 21st. The unfortunate part is that I am talking delivery in Chicago due to Michigan stupid laws about how you can buy cars at dealerships loans wise. I’ll update when I see it.

Odd, I have credit score over 800 and they just sent me an email saying they can only do 75k, will call them to see what's up.
They did same with me few months ago. (I ended up submitting my app too soon, and will need to resubmit.

BUt I think thats all negotiable. Next time I plan to submit additional statements from other financial instituions showing more of my net worth to see if I can get the full amount. I was told that the reason I didnt get approved for the full amount (last time) was due to no recent history of me having large consumer debt/loans. Only a morgtage (I previously paid cash for my cars and dont carry revolving debt)

Wanted to share some updated pictures as I just got it back from being wrapped. Love the new S. Was it worth the 11 month wait? I would only say yes because I had my 3 so it kept me satisfied.
IMG_0985.jpg
IMG_0979.jpg
IMG_0980.jpg
IMG_0983.jpg

How did you receive a soft match? Did they call it a soft match?
I don’t know. For the last 3 weeks I received an estimate of late Jan early Feb. Last week I was provided with an estimated build date of 2/3 which was the 1st actual date provided which lined up with the 2/10-2/24 EDD and today heard the term soft match. Thought someone who has actually received a VIN and had been provided information from a SA about the soft match build date may provide some insight.

So I caved in and decided to get it, I managed to get to 3k discount and I am talking delivery on the 21st. The unfortunate part is that I am talking delivery in Chicago due to Michigan stupid laws about how you can buy cars at dealerships loans wise. I’ll update when I see it.
Michigan making you work hard for that EV!
Let's hope everything goes smoothly for you in Chicago.
So do you still pay Michigan tax when you pick up in another state? Is that correct? It would make sense.
My thought ideally would be Michigan needs to get shorted on tax income for their lock step alignment with the legacy auto manufacturers.