Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery a week or so ago and dropped the car off for front PPF plus lower rockers and rear fenders as well as a couple applications of ceramic….and….installed Martian forged wheels. I really like the way it came out…my photography skills are pretty weak but here are a couple pics.

Tires: I was given a choice of either Conti AS tires or Pirelli P Zero Summer Performance Tires. I don’t like the Contis (personal pref for Michelins for AS and winter tires here in the Northeast). I definitely wanted the Pirellis for Spring and Summer and I’m not planning on much/any driving for the next couple weeks so I took delivery with Pirellis. Spring can’t come to NY soon enough!

Delivery: Flawless. Mt Kisco SC has done a good job every time in my experience (fifth car I’ve purchased there).

Build: Very good. No issues. I’ve driven less than 200 miles so far so I’m really just commenting on fit, finish, aesthetics at this point. Hopefully mechanically equal to or better than the fit and finish. Drive has been great initially so we shall see.

Other stuff: Installed the Tesla F&R mats. I’ll put the Tesmanian trunk, trunk well and frunk set in this weekend. Also, bought the RPM matte carbon fiber spoiler. That’ll be a weekend install too. Got the Snap plate.

Yeah, so here it is…..
I hope Tesla does not charge me for the Continental AS on Mar 11th when they said they can swap the tires. i don't have anything in writing from them.
Does the Snap plate work for MS cars? Are you planning to attach the Snap plate by adhesive? Can it be left there permanently? I just want to attach and leave it as long as it does not ruin the car paint. Or can you attach to the PPF? Thx
Have fun with the car!

I have a quick question.
I am planning to install the precut ppf on my Model S. The precut ppf provider said if I use the ppf without the cut for sensors in the ppf, the sensors work fine once the ppf dry's up. Is this true? Any idea?

Installers I discussed with did it both ways. I went conservative and had them cut out on all our T's so far (3). No issues. Will also do same on Plaid when she arrives.

Reactions: skeva
For those getting Pirelli summers living in cold weather climates? May want to go to Pirellis website to see their warranty policy.
Driving on or even storing the summer tires immediately voids ANY warranty on the tires...
Thank you.

You are absolutely right that the Pirelli P Zero tires are unsafe for driving in the northeast at this time of year. (I did sneak in one little trip on the rare 60 degree day last week). I am not worried about the warranty. I’ve never tried to collect on a tire company’s warranty but storing tires indoors in a garage located in the Northeast shouldn’t have an impact (otherwise no Pirelli warranty would apply to any such tire after it has been stored for the winter in the northeast awaiting the next Summer).

I do care a lot about safety and it’s a bad idea to drive those tires on cold roads and it is straight-up reckless to drive them even in light snow or sleet so your focus on the point is well placed.

Reactions: JakesterMcZap
No decision yet. My car arrives at Tysons tomorrow, and I'm hoping to pick it up Thursday or Friday. I will definitely have the windows tinted, but I'm not sure yet about the wrap.
Have you picked up you car yet? I decided to go get the PPF work done with AAPP in Rockville as they can give my car in a reasonable time. Capitol Shine wanted to keep the car for 3 weeks and also probably has one person trying to do more things. So my third Tesla MS will be protected by some other party. They wanted 50% of the total as deposit even before I know when I am taking delivery or dropping it off for three weeks.

Have you picked up you car yet? I decided to go get the PPF work done with AAPP in Rockville as they can give my car in a reasonable time. Capitol Shine wanted to keep the car for 3 weeks and also probably has one person trying to do more things. So my third Tesla MS will be protected by some other party. They wanted 50% of the total as deposit even before I know when I am taking delivery or dropping it off for three weeks.
Yes I picked up my car. I'm not going to get the ppf work done right away. Thanks for the update I'm Capitol shine.

Reactions: bhakan
I hope Tesla does not charge me for the Continental AS on Mar 11th when they said they can swap the tires. i don't have anything in writing from them.
Does the Snap plate work for MS cars? Are you planning to attach the Snap plate by adhesive? Can it be left there permanently? I just want to attach and leave it as long as it does not ruin the car paint. Or can you attach to the PPF? Thx
Have fun with the car!
They should not charge you for those tires. To put it differently, Don’t let them charge you!

However, we are so close to Springtime (or am I just too optimistic?)!

I’m not a fan of the Contis. The appearance, noise level, treadlife never seemed as good in my experience as Michelin. (I also generally like Goodyear tires but that’s not currently an option for the 19” Tesla setup that I have).

I am a fan of the Pirellis for the Spring and Summer. They’re really good tires IMO. The Michelin AS tires are on back order nationwide right now I believe, so Contis are the only game in town. If you can holdout and admire your garaged car for a couple more weeks you’ll have really good summer tires. Then you’ll have plenty of AS options at tire rack in September/October. Anyway, that’s my approach FWIW.

Enjoy your awesome car!

Have fun with the car!
Legally..that would not hold up. Meaning, car mfr puts tires on a brand new car and that new car is delivered where the temps are currently low enough where the mfrs warranty on that tire, is killed. And in temps where the mfr clearly says on their website to NOT use those tires in those temps.

So I suspect Tesla will not charge you a dime as they know..they have no leg to stand on...

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond and bhakan
Have fun with the car!
Snap plate has a design that is fitted for our model.

If you plan to leave the plate on all the time then I’d probably leave the OEM bracket which is attached with adhesive because it’s a cleaner, better integrated appearance (but still not great compared to no plate at all).

If you do PPF, they will remove the bracket, apply PPF and re-attach the bracket (at least I think that’s the case).

I plan to only snap the plate on if I’m parking on a city street which is the only place I’m aware of people actually getting a ticket.

Snap plate has a design that is fitted for our model.

If you plan to leave the plate on all the time then I’d probably leave the OEM bracket which is attached with adhesive because it’s a cleaner, better integrated appearance (but still not great compared to no plate at all).

If you do PPF, they will remove the bracket, apply PPF and re-attach the bracket (at least I think that’s the case).

I plan to only snap the plate on if I’m parking on a city street which is the only place I’m aware of people actually getting a ticket.
Yes. I am doing full PPF and the guy told me he is going to remove that license plate holder to put film and then put that plate holder again or if I get the Snap plate or something he said they can install that as well. In my urban areas where I park and visit places it is city and street parking mostly. Maybe I should just reattach the OEM plate holder.

Reactions: rdmdriving
Legally..that would not hold up. Meaning, car mfr puts tires on a brand new car and that new car is delivered where the temps are currently low enough where the mfrs warranty on that tire, is killed. And in temps where the mfr clearly says on their website to NOT use those tires in those temps.

So I suspect Tesla will not charge you a dime as they know..they have no leg to stand on...
I mean Tesla can absolutely deliver summer tires in winter...they are doing this out of goodwill (and I support it), but they dont have to. Otherwise there would be no LR or Plaid with 21" wheels delivered anywhere its below 45 degrees for the entire winter...

Also...the tires that come on the car from the mfg typically do not have a tire mfg warranty.

After 10 months of wait, picked up my LR yesterday afternoon. Did not see any issues at all. Not a BMW for sure, but not bad at all.. (maybe I was expecting the worst based on the feedback from others). Had A/S conti's and good all the way around. 2 things I am not sure of is the noise of the heat pump and how the center console box light is supposed to operate (i.e shuts off when I keep it fully open and on when partially open.
All pieces were there (privacy cover for trunk included). And boy does it drive awesome.. Was little bit annoyed I was the last batch of the old headlights, but not going to dwell on it and move on.
Still debating the need for PPF and will explore ceramic in the next few weeks. AWESOME car and perverbial "Worth the wait... Folks".... Hope you get your vin's soon.. BIG THANKS to all, to keep my sanity and interest in the car over the past 10 months and learned a lot..... Will lurk around for a week of so to detox from the past 10 months of checking this forum 10 times a day and will fade away join y'all in other groups.
I put in a service request for my one week old MSLR for the center console light just like yours.

I mean Tesla can absolutely deliver summer tires in winter...they are doing this out of goodwill (and I support it), but they dont have to. Otherwise there would be no LR or Plaid with 21" wheels delivered anywhere its below 45 degrees for the entire winter...

Also...the tires that come on the car from the mfg typically do not have a tire mfg warranty.
They CAN do anything they desire. (some large companies rely on customers not pushing back). But when their internal memos state that 19" wheels on LR's of certain regions are supposed to come with all seasons, and yet those same cars are delivered with summer tires? Trust me..there is a reason why there are numerous reports of Tesla swapping the summer tires with all seasons in some regions, for no charge. And no, its not because Tesla is generous/giving great customer service all of a sudden...

Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero (PZ4), like all summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Reactions: JakesterMcZap
They CAN do anything they desire. (some large companies rely on customers not pushing back). But when their internal memos state that 19" wheels on LR's of certain regions are supposed to come with all seasons, and yet those same cars are delivered with summer tires? Trust me..there is a reason why there are numerous reports of Tesla swapping the summer tires with all seasons in some regions, for no charge. And no, its not because Tesla is generous/giving great customer service all of a sudden...

Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero (PZ4), like all summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
my take here is it’s because all LR w/19” wheels were intended to have A/S tires and due to shortage summer were used so they replace when requested (albeit with pushback sometimes). But I don’t hear any argument that they should be delivering A/S tires on 21” wheels in cold climates?

The only reason this is an issue to me is because you don’t know what you are getting when you order and sometimes until you show up at delivery. There’s no issue delivering summer tires in the winter if that’s what someone wants & orders, but if they are told they are getting A/S and expect them…then summers show up, it’s a problem.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I took delivery a week or so ago and dropped the car off for front PPF plus lower rockers and rear fenders as well as a couple applications of ceramic….and….installed Martian forged wheels. I really like the way it came out…my photography skills are pretty weak but here are a couple pics.

Tires: I was given a choice of either Conti AS tires or Pirelli P Zero Summer Performance Tires. I don’t like the Contis (personal pref for Michelins for AS and winter tires here in the Northeast). I definitely wanted the Pirellis for Spring and Summer and I’m not planning on much/any driving for the next couple weeks so I took delivery with Pirellis. Spring can’t come to NY soon enough!

Delivery: Flawless. Mt Kisco SC has done a good job every time in my experience (fifth car I’ve purchased there).

Build: Very good. No issues. I’ve driven less than 200 miles so far so I’m really just commenting on fit, finish, aesthetics at this point. Hopefully mechanically equal to or better than the fit and finish. Drive has been great initially so we shall see.

Other stuff: Installed the Tesla F&R mats. I’ll put the Tesmanian trunk, trunk well and frunk set in this weekend. Also, bought the RPM matte carbon fiber spoiler. That’ll be a weekend install too. Got the Snap plate.

Yeah, so here it is…..
What size martians did you get.....link? They look sweet. Is your range any better with them. I had some on my M3P and lived them.

Yes. I am doing full PPF and the guy told me he is going to remove that license plate holder to put film and then put that plate holder again or if I get the Snap plate or something he said they can install that as well. In my urban areas where I park and visit places it is city and street parking mostly. Maybe I should just reattach the OEM plate holder.
Now, in your situation I probably would stick with the OEM bracket (remove, PPF, replace). The snap plate looks kinda goofy but complies with all local laws and ordinances. Then you hide it in your trunk til next time you need to avoid a ticket.

Well this sucks! Due to the nasty winter storm moving through Chicago now, my delivery in Kansas City that was scheduled for tomorrow won't be able to happen! DOH!!!

I had my SA "ping" my car to see exactly where it is now, and it's sitting in a Transport Company's parking lot waiting for the storm to pass (apparently).

I had a call from Tesla of KC letting me know my delivery will need to be pushed until at least Monday at 3 pm... This increases my urge to pass on this car and wait for the next one (hopefully with the updated lights). However, I REALLY want my car, and am not 100% sold on the new tail light and charge port setup anyway.

Brighter headlights would be nice, but I really don't drive much at night and I never noticed a problem with my 2020 Model S... I actually prefer the "old" rear end styling to the "new and improved" styling that looks identical to my wife's 2021 Model Y.

I'll probably just bend over yet again and try to be patient until Monday. I definitely am itching to get my new car!

Well this sucks! Due to the nasty winter storm moving through Chicago now, my delivery in Kansas City that was scheduled for tomorrow won't be able to happen! DOH!!!

I had my SA "ping" my car to see exactly where it is now, and it's sitting in a Transport Company's parking lot waiting for the storm to pass (apparently).

I had a call from Tesla of KC letting me know my delivery will need to be pushed until at least Monday at 3 pm... This increases my urge to pass on this car and wait for the next one (hopefully with the updated lights). However, I REALLY want my car, and am not 100% sold on the new tail light and charge port setup anyway.

Brighter headlights would be nice, but I really don't drive much at night and I never noticed a problem with my 2020 Model S... I actually prefer the "old" rear end styling to the "new and improved" styling that looks identical to my wife's 2021 Model Y.

I'll probably just bend over yet again and try to be patient until Monday. I definitely am itching to get my new car!
I was scheduled to pick up my car in KC Saturday. Haven’t had a call yet but wonder if mine is on the same transport as yours and will also be delayed….

I was scheduled to pick up my car in KC Saturday. Haven’t had a call yet but wonder if mine is on the same transport as yours and will also be delayed….
I wouldn't be surprised! You can call and have the SA "ping" your car to find it's precise location. If it's still in Chicago, not much chance you'll be able to pick it up on Saturday... I think our cars all get shipped to Chicago via rail and then trucked down to KC...

Reactions: gbailey
What size martians did you get.....link? They look sweet. Is your range any better with them. I had some on my M3P and lived them.
I got these……

I love the way the look. Several strong reviews on YouTube. I went with 19’s in gunmetal. They offer 20’s and also a satin black. Anyway, I can’t comment on range yet bc I haven’t had a chance to run up some miles to see. I can tell you they are a lot lighter than OEM’s, although you give up that aerodynamic advantage that only the plastic Tesla Tempest wheel caps can guarantee. So we shall see….