Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An update from my end.

I’m an RN151. I put in my order back in June but wasn’t too sure if I would move forward with the car. I eventually decided to do so End of Nov 2021. Finished my financing profile etc. after 60 days expired, I resubmitted again but this time it pushed my EDD back. I’m down to a 2 week window from March 17-31. I called Tesla and told them I was afraid if my profile gets kicked to incomplete, my edd could be pushed back. So the rep changed it to cash for me so that my profile remains complete. With that said - can someone please send me a referral for DCU
They have suspended referrals currently

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
So the delivery for my new MSLR has been pushed by another 2 days (from Monday to Weds of this week) due to a transportation delay in moving the car from Chicago to KC. This is just giving me more time to stew over several things I've been agonizing about lately. I thought I'd vent here a bit while I'm waiting...

My two main "stewing" points are: 1) Should I reject this VIN and hope to get quickly reassigned a VIN for an updated MSLR with the new lights? and 2) Should I cancel the FSD I had ordered originally as a "place-holder" in case FSD actually got better while I was waiting.

I've followed this forum for months, and I know opinions vary somewhat on the updates being pushed out now. I'm in the camp that does prefer the old back end style with the bar running through the tail lights (to make the S unique from the 3 and Y). I'm fairly indifferent to the tail lights themselves, as I never actually see them when I drive and I only just noticed my wife's Model Y's tail lights that do light up very uniformly compared to the MS with the visible LEDs. I like the look (and the light output) of the new headlights, but I honestly never had a problem with the old lights in my 2020 MSLR (that I sold last June). I don't drive at night much. I'm torn by the elimination of the Radar in favor of pure "Tesla-Vision." It seems like I'd be better off having a car that has both systems in place, but if Tesla simply shuts off the radar portion of the system via software to support the move to Tesla Vision in the MS, perhaps it's a moot point? I've been waiting over 8 months, and I REALLY am ready to pick up my MS. If I had some assurance that my delay would only be 2-4 weeks if I opt to wait for a new VIN, I'd go for it, but I fear my VIN would be delayed for a couple of months.

Regarding FSD, I've gone back and forth over the past few months of waiting. My old MSLR had FSD (I paid $7k at the time), and I did use some of the features pretty much every day. I REALLY liked being able to change lanes via turn-signal with AP engaged. I had occasional success with Navigate on Autopilot on the interstate, though it was sometimes just annoying. I would Summon my car at times, but mostly just to impress people new to Tesla (it really blows people's mind seeing the car drive itself). I liked the fact that my car would stop at stop signs and stop lights automatically. So the question is, are those features enough to justify $10k? At this point, I've decided they are (to me). My logic is that these small added features take an insanely amazing car and put "the icing on the cake." They make the car just a bit cooler, more drivable, and more unique. I've always been an early adopter, and I do remember the excitement I felt with my 2020 MS whenever an update would hit that improved FSD. As for the current FSD Beta, I honestly don't think I'm going to bother opting in at this point. Driving my car carefully enough to obtain a score of 98-99 would negate the whole point of having such an amazing, fast car. I'll let others be the testers for this Beta version, and will happily (one day in the distant future) welcome the full FSD package, if it ever gets released to all owners of FSD.

Okay, vent complete. I welcome other opinions on these two issues as I anxiously await my car's arrival on Weds.

So the delivery for my new MSLR has been pushed by another 2 days (from Monday to Weds of this week) due to a transportation delay in moving the car from Chicago to KC. This is just giving me more time to stew over several things I've been agonizing about lately. I thought I'd vent here a bit while I'm waiting...

My two main "stewing" points are: 1) Should I reject this VIN and hope to get quickly reassigned a VIN for an updated MSLR with the new lights? and 2) Should I cancel the FSD I had ordered originally as a "place-holder" in case FSD actually got better while I was waiting.

I've followed this forum for months, and I know opinions vary somewhat on the updates being pushed out now. I'm in the camp that does prefer the old back end style with the bar running through the tail lights (to make the S unique from the 3 and Y). I'm fairly indifferent to the tail lights themselves, as I never actually see them when I drive and I only just noticed my wife's Model Y's tail lights that do light up very uniformly compared to the MS with the visible LEDs. I like the look (and the light output) of the new headlights, but I honestly never had a problem with the old lights in my 2020 MSLR (that I sold last June). I don't drive at night much. I'm torn by the elimination of the Radar in favor of pure "Tesla-Vision." It seems like I'd be better off having a car that has both systems in place, but if Tesla simply shuts off the radar portion of the system via software to support the move to Tesla Vision in the MS, perhaps it's a moot point? I've been waiting over 8 months, and I REALLY am ready to pick up my MS. If I had some assurance that my delay would only be 2-4 weeks if I opt to wait for a new VIN, I'd go for it, but I fear my VIN would be delayed for a couple of months.

Regarding FSD, I've gone back and forth over the past few months of waiting. My old MSLR had FSD (I paid $7k at the time), and I did use some of the features pretty much every day. I REALLY liked being able to change lanes via turn-signal with AP engaged. I had occasional success with Navigate on Autopilot on the interstate, though it was sometimes just annoying. I would Summon my car at times, but mostly just to impress people new to Tesla (it really blows people's mind seeing the car drive itself). I liked the fact that my car would stop at stop signs and stop lights automatically. So the question is, are those features enough to justify $10k? At this point, I've decided they are (to me). My logic is that these small added features take an insanely amazing car and put "the icing on the cake." They make the car just a bit cooler, more drivable, and more unique. I've always been an early adopter, and I do remember the excitement I felt with my 2020 MS whenever an update would hit that improved FSD. As for the current FSD Beta, I honestly don't think I'm going to bother opting in at this point. Driving my car carefully enough to obtain a score of 98-99 would negate the whole point of having such an amazing, fast car. I'll let others be the testers for this Beta version, and will happily (one day in the distant future) welcome the full FSD package, if it ever gets released to all owners of FSD.

Okay, vent complete. I welcome other opinions on these two issues as I anxiously await my car's arrival on Weds.
Congrats on getting your car soon. Really, both questions are completely up to you.
1) Having an updated car with new lights is personal preference at this point. Do you want to wait longer or take a perfect car with the old back that you already like.
2) Personally after all the advice and opinions on TMC, I would take that 10k and invest it and have it work for you. I've never used FSD, so I don't have anything to say about the practicality of it. But I enjoy driving my cars, not having them driven for me. Again, it's personal preference and what you want to do with your $.

Good luck with your decision and hope your car is in perfect form on Wednesday.

Reactions: Rikster
I just noticed that my car (picked up 2/23) also has the rear glass distortion in the bottom 1-2" of it. Anyone else have this when looking in their rear view mirror and have successfully had it replaced? I'm hoping I won't be told that it's "normal". Previously only drove it at night when I didn't see it.
100% normal. They’re all like this.

Reactions: GrnSqrl

I think only you can make that decision yourself. Personally, I will not take delivery of old lights and would be willing to wait, but that's just me. From this point forward, model S with old lights would be associated to the older models even prior to the initial refresh. So if that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

In terms of radar, I think it is only a matter of time when it will be software turned off as autopilot/FSD will be vision only. 3/Y are Tesla's mass market products with largest user base and those cars don't have radar anymore, so why spend resource/time to continue working on radar version?

I kept FSD on the S (but did not get it for our Y) as I do like the lane change and summon out of spots at times. But is it worth $10k? No. Not in its current state. But I am a technology geek and like seeing the progress of the FSD Beta, so it is more just a splurge.

Good luck on your decision!

Last edited:

if you dont take it, tell them to give it to me :).

The new headlight is sexy! 😄
model-s-headlights-768x512.jpg

Finally picked up my MSLR on Wednesday! No noticeable panel gaps or fitment issues. Mine came with the parcel shelf and covers, interesting to see that some cars with similar vins didn't get those with delivery. Brought it Dropped it off right after delivery for a full 20% tint & ceramic coating, as well as 35% PPF on the taillights.

View attachment 774114
Also from MA , same exact build with 21s. EDD of April. ..Let me know how the wheels are holding up here in the northeast and ride quality. I plan on grabbing 19" winters for next year but am worried about the potholes in the summer.

For your second item on FSD- I went thro that decision making 24 hrs before taking delivery and getting my cashier's check. Finally I decided to get the FSD. I had EAP on my first 2017 MS 75 and EAP and then FSD on my recent 2018 MS 100D. Compared to my 2017 my 2018 MS EAP first and and FSD worked very well. I did use it and enjoyed on highway drives even tho the entrance to highway never worked where I live. I liked it mostly for my local 3 lanes busy roads where the traffic is bumper to bumper and it worked very well. With this refresh MSLR if you have insane mode selected it is very difficult to control the speed in my opinion when I am on bumper to bumper traffic without any FSD as I don't have to worry about suddenly pressing the accelerator and hitting another car. My 2c. So, that was the reason i finally decided to get the FSD even tho I know fully well I could have swapped the money for my full PPF, ceramic coating, tiny etc... I may never get the 98 or 99 score or even keep that score. I am mostly interested in using it for my safe driving in my clogged local and beltway driving.

Hope you get to decide depending on where you live and what the drive is like.

Reactions: Rikster
if you dont take it, tell them to give it to me :).
I'd totally do that!

I guess this tells me where you'd fall in this decision, #2MuchLala!

I will likely accept the car and never look back, as long as it's not a total wreck. I'm not pleased that it's been sitting outside in Chicago in a winter storm for the past 5 days, and am a bit worried about how well the KC Tesla guys will be able to detail the car prior to delivery (think swirl marks in my black paint!). I keep going back and forth on the FSD decision... Without that, the car will cost a total of $85k, which means I'll actually have equity in the car for the first year or so (my local Lincoln NE used Tesla specialist would pay $100k for the car right now). If I do go for the FSD at $10k, I'll still be in decent shape ($95k invested, current replacement cost = $112k), but if I trade it in next year for "the next shiny object" from Tesla, it will mostly be wasted money. Decisions...

Reactions: JakesterMcZap
For your second item on FSD- I went thro that decision making 24 hrs before taking delivery and getting my cashier's check. Finally I decided to get the FSD. I had EAP on my first 2017 MS 75 and EAP and then FSD on my recent 2018 MS 100D. Compared to my 2017 my 2018 MS EAP first and and FSD worked very well. I did use it and enjoyed on highway drives even tho the entrance to highway never worked where I live. I liked it mostly for my local 3 lanes busy roads where the traffic is bumper to bumper and it worked very well. With this refresh MSLR if you have insane mode selected it is very difficult to control the speed in my opinion when I am on bumper to bumper traffic without any FSD as I don't have to worry about suddenly pressing the accelerator and hitting another car. My 2c. So, that was the reason i finally decided to get the FSD even tho I know fully well I could have swapped the money for my full PPF, ceramic coating, tiny etc... I may never get the 98 or 99 score or even keep that score. I am mostly interested in using it for my safe driving in my clogged local and beltway driving.

Hope you get to decide depending on where you live and what the drive is like.
Great points, #bhakan! I'm admittedly a VERY distracted driver! I drive all over town every day as a real estate guy, so I am a heavy user of AP/FSD, and I find it definitely makes me a safer driver. My wife pretty much refuses to ride with me unless I use FSD to the maximum extent possible, because she knows how distractible I am ;-)

Reactions: bhakan
Great points, #bhakan! I'm admittedly a VERY distracted driver! I drive all over town every day as a real estate guy, so I am a heavy user of AP/FSD, and I find it definitely makes me a safer driver. My wife pretty much refuses to ride with me unless I use FSD to the maximum extent possible, because she knows how distractible I am ;-)
Yes, we all drive with our brains on AP all the time and not pay attention sometimes to traffic lights or stop signs or traffic cameras where I live. Using the FSD on my local alone saves me from unnecessary heart burn.
Enjoy your car! It is a great car. The car had Insane mode selected when I took delivery. After coming home the next day I noticed I had to change to chill mode when I leave my driveway as it is a busy street with children on their bikes or people walking dogs on the road or neighbors walking on the street. Every situation is different.

Reactions: gbailey
A lucky someone got a re,refresh:

I'd totally do that!

I guess this tells me where you'd fall in this decision, #2MuchLala!

I will likely accept the car and never look back, as long as it's not a total wreck. I'm not pleased that it's been sitting outside in Chicago in a winter storm for the past 5 days, and am a bit worried about how well the KC Tesla guys will be able to detail the car prior to delivery (think swirl marks in my black paint!). I keep going back and forth on the FSD decision... Without that, the car will cost a total of $85k, which means I'll actually have equity in the car for the first year or so (my local Lincoln NE used Tesla specialist would pay $100k for the car right now). If I do go for the FSD at $10k, I'll still be in decent shape ($95k invested, current replacement cost = $112k), but if I trade it in next year for "the next shiny object" from Tesla, it will mostly be wasted money. Decisions...
Yeah, I guess my impatience would get the best of me. Do i like the new headlights? Absolutely. But have been waiting so long, like you, and as long as the vehicle is built well, i would take delivery. If i just ordered in December/January than maybe i would push because i havent been waiting for almost 10 months. But at this point, i want me car. lol

I think you mean $12k

And No, most feel it's not worth $12k. But to each his own

After a few inquiries I would like to share a couple of data points. My MSLR was assigned a vin# on Wednesday 2/23 evening after 5pm est. EDD changed from 3/1-3/29 to 3/9- 3/15. I was told on Thursday 2/24 it was still in production. I was then informed the gate date or build complete date was 2/25. Vin # 4724xx.
My Vin does not have radar and the headlights are listed as "Global". The lights before were "premium". So very likely I have the updates. Will know for sure in ~10 days or so when I pick the car up, its currently on a train to Chicago, then to MI. Only sad part is 80mph on MI highways is too slow and therefore autopilot will not be as useful. Even 90mph on the M3P sometimes is not fast enough. Speed limits are 70mph and 75mph and its not uncommon to be passed doing 90mph.