Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Refresh - white interior thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How sad; based on your posted information, it's amazing the company is still in business and continuing it's shameful actions. I do hope your end result is satisfactory to you!!
The company is in business because of the crazy awesome product :) eventually all this pain will be forgotten and I’ll have a huge smile :)

tesla money = 100% engineering, 0% anything else

actually come to think of it, more money can be put into engineering if they fire all the SAs. Those poor fools are useless :)

No one "guessed" the right color interior. It is what they ordered. Sorry there is a pandemic and supply chain nightmares. Or quality issues producing the white seats.

He is not "willing" to pay the extra $10,000. That is the price at which they ordered at.

Sure, they did not "say" it, but they might not have know that white seats would be delayed? Much less the entire car. But as soon as it became apparent, the designer was updated. I think @doubleshot has the screenshot that says "White interiors will ship in September" per the designer. Could Tesla have done better to either 1) communicate to orders? Sure. 1000%; or 2) offer a one-time change sans price increase? Sure. But when has Tesla ever done that? What other car manufactures do that?

I can certainly agree that this process sucks. But not much we can change about it. And Tesla is not out to get you or rub it in your face that they are delivering to your neighbor to give you a virtual middle finger. They are trying to deliver cars as fast as they can make them with the parts available, balancing routine quarter logistics. I do not envy the planners job because I am sure they recognize that there are people waiting eight months for a car while delivering a car that someone ordered two weeks ago.
A point of clarification: When I say he is “willing to pay” I am referring to folks who already have a car reserved but don’t want to wait, so they pony up an extra $10 to get it now. That’s a jerk move on Tesla’s part.
Also to your point about other car manufacturer and change orders: seriously none of the big manufacturers charge you more if a car comes available and it isn’t exactly what you ordered. NOT ONE! They will all give you the option to accept the available car without taking a price increase. In fact, until about 3 months ago, Tesla did this. They just don’t anymore. They are more interested in $10 than keeping their commitments to early reservationists. Crappy business model. And again I want to clarify I don’t think it should be illegal. The government should not get involved when businesses like this act like jerks. But as customers need to stand up against them and call out bad behavior when we see it or they’ll just keep doing it and eventually this type of behavior mixed with stronger competitors puts them out of business. And I love Tesla. So I certainly don’t want to see that!!

• Disagree
Reactions: doubleshot
WARNING: THIS POST IS GOING TO BE CYNICAL!

So let’s say you’re Tesla. And let’s say you have (pull a number out of the air) 10k chips and you don’t have any idea when more will become available. And let’s say you need to maximize profits lest your stock drops. How do you do it?

Here’s one way:

Produce white interiors LAST and here’s why why/how.
Step 1: Buy yourself time. Deliver lots of tan (the least ordered interior) and black. As you buy yourself time, you feel out what the next six months will look like as far as chip production.

Step 2: Incrementally increase price. Existing reservationists are happy because they feel like they are getting a deal and potential buyers get a fire lit under them to pull the trigger on buying.

Step 3: Put chips in and deliver your higher margin products like Plaid and 21” rims. All while claiming it is a supply issue on wheels, and deny it is a chip problem.

Step 4: Increase prices again, so as to increase margins, and stop allowing existing reservationists to get the lower price when they make a change to their order in hopes they’ll just pay the extra $10k charge.

Step 5: Slowly begin releasing 19” rims and white interiors in hopes that chips come in.

Step Have a system that keeps people guessing through false dates and or black EDD pages. Give zero info to your workers on the ground so as to allow for major changes to the heretofore steps mentioned.

Final Step: Anger your most loyal base of fans and apologize later through a poorly written unfeeling email, all while not owning up to evil plan.

So let’s say you’re Tesla. And let’s say you have (pull a number out of the air) 10k chips and you don’t have any idea when more will become available. And let’s say you need to maximize profits lest your stock drops. How do you do it?

Here’s one way:

Step 1: Buy yourself time. Deliver lots of tan (the least ordered interior) and black. As you buy yourself time, you feel out what the next six months will look like as far as chip production.

Step 2: Incrementally increase price. Existing reservationists are happy because they feel like they are getting a deal and potential buyers get a fire lit under them to pull the trigger on buying.

Step 3: Put chips in and deliver your higher margin products like Plaid and 21” rims. All while claiming it is a supply issue on wheels, and deny it is a chip problem.

Step 4: Increase prices again, so as to increase margins, and stop allowing existing reservationists to get the lower price when they make a change to their order in hopes they’ll just pay the extra $10k charge.

Step 5: Slowly begin releasing 19” rims and white interiors in hopes that chips come in.

Step Have a system that keeps people guessing through false dates and or black EDD pages. Give zero info to your workers on the ground so as to allow for major changes to the heretofore steps mentioned.

Final Step: Anger your most loyal base of fans and apologize later through a poorly written unfeeling email, all while not owning up to evil plan.

Well thought out!

I would add...

Final final step- Deliver a superior product so that everyone forgets the above experience immediately after taking delivery.

Then repeat cycle 5 years later

Here’s one way:

You’ve thought a lot about this, haven’t you? :)

You’ve thought a lot about this, haven’t you? :)
I’ve had seven long months of thinking about it. And it Appears I have a couple more
Well thought out!

I would add...

Final final step- Deliver a superior product so that everyone forgets the above experience immediately after taking delivery.

Then repeat cycle 5 years later
oh my gosh!! I know! Seriously, at this point that is all I have to hang on to. I’ve owned three Tesla’s and LOVED THEM ALL! So I take the abuse

Ditto. Meanwhile my local service center in Atlanta has so many Plaids on the lot waiting delivery. A couple with white interiors too. Makes me wonder - where did I go wrong in life?
You see them with white inteiors in ATL? Couple of days ago was just white and black exteriors with only black interiors.