Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S - Underchassis clunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dmurphy

Supporting Member
I know there've been more than a fair share of suspension clunk/bump sounds, but this one is fairly unique to me.

I can't tell exactly what's clunking; anyone recognize this particular clunk sound? It almost sounds like a "bouncing" metal on metal sound.

I've been waiting for my round steering wheel to be installed so I can get this looked at by service - can only have one service ticket open at a time, and don't want to add this to the same ticket as my wheel....

So I figured I'd ask the Hivemind and see if anyone recognizes this bouncing-metal-on-metal sound?

edit: Check :11-20 seconds and then :32-36 seconds in the video.

Sounds sway bar endlink, ish.

Can you see anything out of place when turning the wheel side to side and looking at the suspension / struts?

Everything “looks” good under there - I don’t see anything obviously loose, but that doesn’t mean much as the sound isn’t consistent either. It doesn’t reproduce as loudly on rainy days, for example.

Sounds sway bar endlink, ish.

Can you see anything out of place when turning the wheel side to side and looking at the suspension / struts?
My thoughts as well. Can remove a wheel and see if the endlink fasteners are tight. If they are, give it a good yank back and forth to see if it moves/rattles.

Could also be a swaybar mount, though that's not particularly accessible on the S.

• Helpful
Reactions: dmurphy
My thoughts as well. Can remove a wheel and see if the endlink fasteners are tight. If they are, give it a good yank back and forth to see if it moves/rattles.

Could also be a swaybar mount, though that's not particularly accessible on the S.

Thank you both @beatle and @buckets0fun! I'm with you -- 95% sure it's the sway bar. Checking other videos and sounds and yep -- that's very much what I'm hearing.

I'm just stuck right now waiting for mobile service to finish the steering wheel swap... then I can open a new ticket for this.

Really appreciate the guidance and direction - sure sounds like a bad link. I've got a crazy-busy weekend coming up, but if I get some time next week, I'll throw the car up on stands and play with the links - see if I can hear something.