Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model X whistling noise at low speeds

caesartheday

Jan 10, 2018
Santa Clarita, CA
Just traded in my 2018 75D Model X for the 2021 Long Range + version and on the drive home noticed a slight whistling noise coming from the front window area. Mobile Service came over yesterday, he drove it around and in an instant told me that it's a "known" issue - at least for the service folks. Apparently a thin groove underneath the rearview mirror is the cause of it. The technician put a strip of tape over it and we tested it with and without and indeed it's the cause. Apparently the fix (which they will apply at the next in-person service) is a thin layer of sealant to basically even out that little groove. Any thin, transparent tape will do apparently.

Thought I'd post it as a PSA because while the noise isn't loud, it is certainly prominent enough, especially at speeds from 10-30 MPH, that it's annoying. In SoCal where Santa Ana winds blow daily in the winter - I can hear it when the car is stationary.

Attachments

• IMG_4253.jpeg
    IMG_4253.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 57

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC