Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whistling Noise Above 40mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bv2000

Feb 18, 2023
I just bought a used 2021 Model 3 SR+ and I'm having this annoying whistling noise when going above 40mph. It sounds like it's kind of all over. It didn't make the noise when it was raining, though. I tried using painter's tape to cover the gap between the windshield and the roof glass and the roof glass to the rear glass, to no avail. I'm trying to ask here before I get Tesla service on this.

Hey man, when I first bought mine, I had a very similar whistling noise. It ended up being one of the side mirrors. Check the side mirrors to see if on the bottom part there is a plastic part of anything that seems to be out of place and just tap it back into place if that makes sense.

Reactions: adayley
Upvote 0
I just bought a used 2021 Model 3 SR+ and I'm having this annoying whistling noise when going above 40mph. It sounds like it's kind of all over. It didn't make the noise when it was raining, though. I tried using painter's tape to cover the gap between the windshield and the roof glass and the roof glass to the rear glass, to no avail. I'm trying to ask here before I get Tesla service on this.
Put that painters tape at the gap where the front door and windshield meets.

Upvote 0
I have the same noise. Let me know if you figure out what it is. I think it's coming from somewhere near my passenger side mirror
Check this solution out

Upvote 0
Did you manage to identify the specific cause of yours?

I have the seals in the other solution already

Upvote 0
Hey man, when I first bought mine, I had a very similar whistling noise. It ended up being one of the side mirrors. Check the side mirrors to see if on the bottom part there is a plastic part of anything that seems to be out of place and just tap it back into place if that makes sense.
This was my solution.

My 2020 Model 3 started making a whistle noise at over 40 MPH or so. I thought it was a window seal problem. Then, one day the weather was nice and I drove with the window down. The whistle was louder. I could reach up and over the arm holding the side mirror and the whistle would stop. Turned out that a bottom plastic cover of the arm was loose. I gently and easily pushed it back in place, no more whistle!

Reactions: enemji
Upvote 0
All I can say is that it is not supposed to be like that.

Sounds like wind getting in somewhere. Could be the doors. The side windows bit closing enough or being out of alignment with the seals. The service center will know what to look for.

Upvote 0