Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MS LR+ rattling sound upon hard acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a mid-2019 MS Perf Raven (i.e. the early Ravens) with this issue?

Fort Worth SC reports that "I already have the -B half-shafts," so no replacement while they await the arrival of the -C half-shafts . . . ."

What has me confused is that others with early Ravens have had theirs replaced with the -B's and the problem was solved, thus having me wonder when that part was introduced on the assembly line--may have to jack it up and check myself.

Any inputs appreciated.

Does anyone have a mid-2019 MS Perf Raven (i.e. the early Ravens) with this issue?

Fort Worth SC reports that "I already have the -B half-shafts," so no replacement while they await the arrival of the -C half-shafts . . . ."

What has me confused is that others with early Ravens have had theirs replaced with the -B's and the problem was solved, thus having me wonder when that part was introduced on the assembly line--may have to jack it up and check myself.

Any inputs appreciated.

You will benefit from taking the hands on approach.

First, if you have not already, peruse the applicable SB. The problem is the clevis, worn halfshafts are the result of improper shimming of same.

There is no excuse for the SvC not to be following the SB to the letter.

I don't have this problem since I have an older car that stays in Chill Mode, but there is no reason you should have to live with this...

You will benefit from taking the hands on approach.

First, if you have not already, peruse the applicable SB. The problem is the clevis, worn halfshafts are the result of improper shimming of same.

There is no excuse for the SvC not to be following the SB to the letter.

I don't have this problem since I have an older car that stays in Chill Mode, but there is no reason you should have to live with this...

AFAIK, that SB doesn't apply to Ravens, although it is remarkably unclear on that topic--I don't even think it provides a VIN range?

Also, my production date is July, 2019, and the date on the SB posted earlier is May 28, 2019. As a stockholder and owner, I sincerely expect Tesla to NOT be producing cars on the assembly line in need of an SB the minute they roll out the factory door--that's just too stupid.

Just thinking out loud . . . have to get the car back and crawl under it to see what my half-shaft part numbers are. (I wonder if that clevis has an easily visible part number?)

The bigger question: Why am I having to do all this on a six-figure car that's under warranty, with under 5k miles?

Answer: lack of sufficient durability testing and "not great" customer service at Tesla.

I may have to visit another SC.

Come on Elon, get on this embarrassing problem.

Last edited:
Update

While still not a VIN-range listing, Page 9 (of 9) of the SB reads as follows:

Affected Model S and Model X vehicles built between approximately December 15, 2013 and May 15, 2019.

Thus, a July, 2019, production MS Perf Raven should already have the SB parts installed. This suggests that the new "new" half-shafts might have solved the problem, had the SvC installed them. Fixing this shouldn't have been this hard--why isn't there another SB for Ravens yet?!?

So frustrated that they've had the car since Friday, today is Wednesday, and the problem will still be there when I pick the car up.

Correct, should not be a service charge IF the rattle is determined to be a warranty item. The pessimistic side of me says there are 2 ways they can charge me 1) they cannot reproduce the noise 2) they reproduce it but it is not classified as warranty.

The SC in Plano, TX is generally pretty good though.

Repeat after me... vibration...vibration...

Not noise...

Update

While still not a VIN-range listing, Page 9 (of 9) of the SB reads as follows:

Affected Model S and Model X vehicles built between approximately December 15, 2013 and May 15, 2019.

Thus, a July, 2019, production MS Perf Raven should already have the SB parts installed. This suggests that the new "new" half-shafts might have solved the problem, had the SvC installed them. Fixing this shouldn't have been this hard--why isn't there another SB for Ravens yet?!?

So frustrated that they've had the car since Friday, today is Wednesday, and the problem will still be there when I pick the car up.

As I've posted previously, my SC was preparing to fix the rattle (better not say noise!) on my June, 2019 Raven MS and had preordered the latest half shafts. I'm not entirely clear if the preordered parts are different than what's already on my car, but it implies they have some version of a SB on the issue for Ravens.

I was unfortunately turned away after they decided on a test drive that my issue did not meet their threshold to fix, telling me the rattle is "normal", occuring during a shift in weight under acceleration. Total nonsense.

This is MCU emmc nonsense all over again but the mechanical version. My bet is eventually a recall will be forced and they will need to fix this. Another reason to wait before ordering refreshed S - if the new design still has this flaw it will be pretty sad.

Reactions: aerodyne
FYI:

Got the car back; not fixed as our July, 2019, MS Perf Raven already has the latest halfshaft part numbers (listed previously). Thus, replacing the halfshafts with the same part numbers was deemed unwise while Tesla engineers are seeking a permanent solution (perhaps a third part number set of even higher quality/capacity halfshafts).

I may look under the car later just to 100% confirm the part numbers as all this was based on the SvC's database search of what part numbers were installed on which cars, according to the Big Tesla Computer in the sky:)

YMMV, but a disappointing outcome.

• Informative
Reactions: vapor trail
FYI:

Got the car back; not fixed as our July, 2019, MS Perf Raven already has the latest halfshaft part numbers (listed previously). Thus, replacing the halfshafts with the same part numbers was deemed unwise while Tesla engineers are seeking a permanent solution (perhaps a third part number set of even higher quality/capacity halfshafts).

I may look under the car later just to 100% confirm the part numbers as all this was based on the SvC's database search of what part numbers were installed on which cars, according to the Big Tesla Computer in the sky:)

YMMV, but a disappointing outcome.

I guess we're in similar boats (well, similar cars maybe). At least your SC potentially showed more integrity by admitting there isn't a permanent fix at this point. I've read others report the rattle returning after having half shafts replaced, so that's not a stretch. I just hope that the Tesla brain trust is actually working towards a permanent repair and we're not being given lip service.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Well after driving all the way to the service center and letting the tech hear the sound I was told that this sound was completely normal with hard acceleration from a complete stop especially if the car is cold. He said it’s not bad for the vehicle and he then went into a long physics explanation about torque, horse power, and pressure. Said nothing could be done to avoid it.
Looks like it’s been awhile… I’m way out of warranty so if they come up with something I hope it fixes it because I’m sure whatever it is will be expensive! Lol

I am talking about Model S in general. It’s their legacy product. It’s low volume. They want to launch 5 more models.

I am sure all the A players have been moved to all the other more strategic products, so even though they are still working on it, I have to imagine the S is their lowest priority.
Agreed...I was snarkily referring to EM's comment about sunroofs on investor day, that 99% of owners never used them, which I seriously doubt.

Also stated by EM is MS is made "Mainly for sentimental reasons"

If I had to pick another product with lower priority, besides the MX, it would be Solar Roofs.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I'm getting exactly this problem with my late 2022 MX Plaid. It's a different sound and feel from the half-shaft issue I got on the previous XP100DL+, that was deeper sounding and with a real physical sensation, this is higher pitched and you don't really feel it

I queried this with service and of course they said it was "normal when cold", but how to define "cold"?

This happens under very moderate acceleration, I recorded a couple of instances and looped it:

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I'm getting exactly this problem with my late 2022 MX Plaid. It's a different sound and feel from the half-shaft issue I got on the previous XP100DL+, that was deeper sounding and with a real physical sensation, this is higher pitched and you don't really feel it

I queried this with service and of course they said it was "normal when cold", but how to define "cold"?

This happens under very moderate acceleration, I recorded a couple of instances and looped it:

Yeah, no.

You'll need to document this better (date and time stamp your video, and add some video as audio isn't sufficient IMO).

Then give Tesla multiple opportunities to address.

Document EVERYTHING.

Then, if not repaired, review Lemon Law statutes in your state or province.

Reactions: aerodyne