Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MYLR full-self driving beta disable 3 of 5 while holding wheel and watching road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have FSD beta and use it a lot, daily. I drove long ranges so I’ll have hand on the wheel and be focusing on road but allowing the car to do its FSD duties. Well I keep getting flagged for not having my hands on the wheel or paying attention. Which I am focusing on the road and I have both hands on the wheel.

My question is can I appeal or argue these 3 marks on my and prove that I was focused on road with hands on wheel? It is completely an error and it happens a lot where I have to disengage the autopilot due to it not sensing my hands on the wheel. It is incredibly frustrating and annoying.

• Love
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Remember, you have to provide torque (turning force) — it does not detect your hands.

One problem is the use of the term “hands on the wheel”. If you do use both hands, it is very difficult to apply torque and you then get nags which then annoys some people to the point of using a defeat device.

I use one hand and simply never get nags. Have been driving Teslas since 2013. I use my right hand at about 5 o’clock partly resting on my knee in my 3 (in my X, my knee is too far away.) I simply hook my thumb and forefinger and provide a slight continuous torque. I have never disabled autopilot this way. I also occasionally switch hands. I apply about 1 pound of downward force at the 5 o’clock position.

As for an appeal, I think you are out of luck.

My question is can I appeal or argue these 3 marks on my and prove that I was focused on road with hands on wheel?
Nope.

Just wiggle that wheel and become accustomed to using peripheral vision to detect the nags. They are hard to miss (though it could be even harder; they should add an optional beeping mode for those who struggle with this).

Nags are super mild now in general.

Hard to get strikes unless you are not looking at the screen out of the corner of your eye. Torque is required.

I usually apply no torque and then just nudge the wheel lightly to clear the warning. This seems to work better and is easier to manage than trying to apply torque all the time for some reason. (Applying constant torque still results in nags requiring opposite direction torque or at least a 0 torque to applied torque transition, so what is the point?)