Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MYP Trunk Leak - bad service experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for following up. I suspect that's going to be what's going on with all of them where the symptom is water fills up inside the interior of the liftgate. It's a very different kind of problem than bad window adhesive or a defective trunk seal.
Exact service notes

Concern: Customer states: Other · Interior - Water leaks continue after being told it’s due to lights I added. Lights were resealed issue is now worse. I’d like a real resolution to this.
Verified customers concern, upon water test found water ingress present. Found water to be coming from rear trunk. Upon further inspection found water ingress to be coming from right rear reverse light. Preformed an interior adjustment to rear trunk. Removed and replaced right rear reverse light. Water tested vehicle several times. Water ingress is no longer present at this time. Verified proper operation of vehicle.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Test To Confirm Water Ingress No Longer Present
Correction: Clean Up Water Ingress
Correction: Light - Fog/Reverse - Rear - RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
LAMP ASY, LIFTGATE, 1.00 RIGHT HAND(1502089-
00-B)
Correction: Interior Component/Trim/Seal Adjustment - 0.3

Reactions: gemee
Exact service notes

Concern: Customer states: Other · Interior - Water leaks continue after being told it’s due to lights I added. Lights were resealed issue is now worse. I’d like a real resolution to this.
Verified customers concern, upon water test found water ingress present. Found water to be coming from rear trunk. Upon further inspection found water ingress to be coming from right rear reverse light. Preformed an interior adjustment to rear trunk. Removed and replaced right rear reverse light. Water tested vehicle several times. Water ingress is no longer present at this time. Verified proper operation of vehicle.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Test To Confirm Water Ingress No Longer Present
Correction: Clean Up Water Ingress
Correction: Light - Fog/Reverse - Rear - RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
LAMP ASY, LIFTGATE, 1.00 RIGHT HAND(1502089-
00-B)
Correction: Interior Component/Trim/Seal Adjustment - 0.3
Very helpful. Thank you. I hope Tesla notifies all the SC's about this problem so they can stop wasting our time making repeated trips for the same thing.

Reactions: ECCtechguy
Same issue with 1 month old Model Y from Fremont. Didn't realize that water had run all the way into the deep trunk section. It's all wet down there. Gross. I didn't think all the rumors were really true about Tesla quality, but so far, I gotta say I am also not impressed.

Reactions: J Neptune
Sorry to read you’re having the trunk leak issue with a Fremont model Y. I figured all this time it was allowed to happen because of new people building the cars in Austin and not being fully trained.

Make sure you pull out the drain plugs at the bottom of your litigate so water cannot collect inside it until they can fix the root cause.

• Informative
Reactions: tmartin
Thanks for your immediate support. The drain plugs let out a bit of water. Tesla service didn't seem alarmed when I informed them that there is water sloshing around and did not come out to immediately to dry out the car. Instead, I proceeded to myself disassemble the trunk liner and soak up, maybe half cup of water that had run into the trunk. I let it dry out in the sun the next day (yes, occasionally it's sunny in Seattle) and luckily did not find mold. Tesla resealed both (!) taillights 2 days later and will replace the broken plastic covers that I caused with Mobile Service next week. I tend to believe that I am not special, and neither is this particular Model Y - which makes me believe there are thousands of Model Y's with leaking taillights out there.

Reactions: SWIPE
I think you’re right. My model Y was at the SC for 8 weeks while they tried to figure out what was leaking. They ended up ordering a new lift gate, sending it to a body shop to be painted, installed it with new glass, AND IT STILL LEAKED. I took it to a different SC after this and they just pulled out the tail lights, sealed up the two seams, and I was on my way in under 2 hours. Not a drop of water in the trunk since…

What are the odds both the factory-installed lift gate and the replacement both leaked the same way? There must be some fine print in the assembly guide telling the installer to apply sealant, but nobody’s reading it…

• Funny
Reactions: tmartin
I discovered the same issue on my 2023 MYLR Austin build. Originally I thought it was only water dripping in from outside when I opened the tailgate but last weekend after driving in heavy rain I noticed significant pooling of water inside the seal along the bottom of the back opening, and water dripping from the rubber stoppers on the hatch. I pulled off the rubber drain plugs as described above and large amounts of water streamed out.

I have a service appointment next week in Peabody (Boston area) so hopefully they will seal the seams behind the tail lights. Will report back.

Reactions: Choncho
I just found a new service bulletin for this issue! I hope this means Tesla has changed their manufacturing process to permanently resolve this before shipping the cars.

1682966727130.png

Attachments

• SB-23-10-003_Reseal_Liftgate_Assembly_to_Prevent_Water_Ingress_R2.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 193
I think I just started having this problem a few weeks ago. The right hand bin was soaked after we drive through torrential rains between Atlanta and Charlotte on 4/8. Then again this past Friday coming back home from Chambersburg PA. I tried taking it through a touch-free car wash and I had no problems. I have been waiting for it to dry so I can isolate where the water is coming in becuase it seems like the bottom of the bin get wet, but none of the side.

So my question is: For those of you that have had this problem, did you notice is in the bins as well, or just under the sub-trunk?

Also, I'm thinking of not working on isolating it but telling service about the problem and referencing the service bulletin? Thoughts on that?

Same issue with 1 month old Model Y from Fremont. Didn't realize that water had run all the way into the deep trunk section. It's all wet down there. Gross. I didn't think all the rumors were really true about Tesla quality, but so far, I gotta say I am also not impressed.
Probably the reason Tesla doesn't fix stuff. Because literally most people don't believe that the build quality is really far below industry standards.

The more attention drawn to this, the more it will become an issue for the company and the sooner it will get fixed once and for all. Not just this one problem, but the multitude of them that still remain.

(And yes, fanboys, before you chime in I ordered another Tesla to replace our 6-year-old Tesla.)

Reactions: J Neptune
Thanks JohnyWiFi !
Awesome timing as I just noticed this a couple weeks ago after some heavy rains in Virginia.
‘22 MYP. Fremont build.
Strange in that I did not notice it till recently. No issues last year and I use my liftgate everyday when I go to and from work, so must be new.
Coworker has a ‘21 MYP and said to put the Service ticket and thought it was a seal too.
This pdf is VERY useful, I’ll do the video tomorrow too.

I discovered the same issue on my 2023 MYLR Austin build. Originally I thought it was only water dripping in from outside when I opened the tailgate but last weekend after driving in heavy rain I noticed significant pooling of water inside the seal along the bottom of the back opening, and water dripping from the rubber stoppers on the hatch. I pulled off the rubber drain plugs as described above and large amounts of water streamed out.

I have a service appointment next week in Peabody (Boston area) so hopefully they will seal the seams behind the tail lights. Will report back.
Following up on my earlier post. I brought my MYLR in to service to resolve the tailgate leak issue yesterday at 9:30am. Originally was told it would be a four hour appointment, but was quickly told it would take all day, and that they would keep me updated via the app. No loaners are given for one day service appointments so was given $100 Uber credit to get me home and back. Minimal annoyance but no big deal.

I did not receive any notifications all day. At 7:00pm I messaged on the app asking about status (service is open until 8:00pm). No response, and no responses to two further messages later in the evening. Two more messages and three phone calls today, two with voicemails left and one that was answered and they promised that a service advisor would call back. No response. Finally got through to a sales advisor who was more helpful, but no resolution. Was told that service couldn’t replicate the issue and did not observe leakage. No explanation for the lack of contact. I asked if they had complied with the service bulletin for leaking tailgate and was told it did not apply to my VIN (despite it being clearly intended for 2020-2023 Y from Fremont and Austin). After further discussion it became clear that service had not looked at the videos of water draining from the tailgate that I had uploaded to the service ticket. Explanation- “service department is pretty busy”. Hmmm.

So, they now are going to repeat the water test with someone in the car looking for leakage and then wait 24 hours for the water to “filter“ down to see if it is actually leaking. Shouldn’t they have had someone looking for that the first time? If they still can’t replicate, they will send it to a body shop (because apparently that will change the result?), which will take a minimum of one week. Was offered a loaner but wait, none are available, but they promised to message me by 5:00pm to let me know when one will be available.

It’s now 5:30pm and nothing yet from them.

Incredibly frustrating experience so far. No communication, no apparent willingness to troubleshoot or go beyond a minimal attempt to diagnose, no ability to apply a clearly applicable service bulletin about the exact same symptom/issue and proactively try to solve the problem.

Will post again with updates.

My car, which is a Fremont build picked up on 2/22 of this year has this problem. It has been in the shop 3 times for a total of 19 days for this issue. it was last there a week ago for third visit. They resealed the seams again on the liftgate and also replaced both tail lights on the liftgate. It rained here all day and did not leak. Crossing my fingers this is fixed! I printed out the service bulletin to bring in if it happens again.

Westyear, hopefully they fixed it. I took mine in and uploaded the TSB pdf along with a photo prior to the appointment. The Tech said they’ve seen a lot of Teslas for this issue, that it was an easy fix and they completed work within 4 hours. I haven’t noticed any leaks since.
It’s rained pretty good here lately and I’ll check in the AM again.
Best of luck.

No resolution yet. Service center saI’d it is the tailgate window seal, so they are ordering a new window and set up an appointment to replace in mid June. More than a month from original appointmen, and no mention of the service bulletin.

In the meantime I am continuing to get leakage in any rain, even minor drizzle. Response: “sorry, just don’t drive in the rain.” Great solution.

I have travel planned where the car will be parked outside for a week with rain in the forecast- expecting a wet moldy mess when I return.

Swipe, thanks for the info. I will have them do the service bulletin fix at the same time they replace the window.

My car, which is a Fremont build picked up on 2/22 of this year has this problem. It has been in the shop 3 times for a total of 19 days for this issue. it was last there a week ago for third visit. They resealed the seams again on the liftgate and also replaced both tail lights on the liftgate. It rained here all day and did not leak. Crossing my fingers this is fixed! I printed out the service bulletin to bring in if it happens again.
Just wanted to update this. The car is still dry. The service center in Sterling,VA may have figured out how to fix this problem.

Reactions: bugek