Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inches Of Water in Trunk After I drove through water

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I could use some input on this. I hit some standing water on the drive home two weeks ago (losing my bumper) in my brand new Model Y 2023 Performance (<800 miles). Water was 2-3 inches high. I understand why Tesla would not cover the bumper under warranty (despite 25 other cars driving through the same water with no damage). But I'm struggling with why Tesla will not cover the below issue.

I believe the two situations do not relate to each other. As seen from the photo, the trunk section is filled with water, as is the cover, and all other spots in the trunk. As you can also see, plenty of water has passed through the trunk seal. The Tesla rep said the water entered the trunk through the bottom of the car. My ask is can water even enter through the bottom of the trunk? This photo was taken 24 hours after the incident. Even if water can get through the bottom of the car it would not explain why the top of the trunk was wet or why water passed through the trunk seal.

20230628_195806.jpg

Hey everyone,

I could use some input on this. I hit some standing water on the drive home two weeks ago (losing my bumper) in my brand new Model Y 2023 Performance (<800 miles). Water was 2-3 inches high. I understand why Tesla would not cover the bumper under warranty (despite 25 other cars driving through the same water with no damage). But I'm struggling with why Tesla will not cover the below issue.

I believe the two situations do not relate to each other. As seen from the photo, the trunk section is filled with water, as is the cover, and all other spots in the trunk. As you can also see, plenty of water has passed through the trunk seal. The Tesla rep said the water entered the trunk through the bottom of the car. My ask is can water even enter through the bottom of the trunk? This photo was taken 24 hours after the incident. Even if water can get through the bottom of the car it would not explain why the top of the trunk was wet or why water passed through the trunk seal.

View attachment 955004
So what happened? Battery okay? Interior dried and saved?

A couple of things. First, I agree, somewhat, with @EdJack. Two or three feet may be a bit much: A foot to 18 inches sounds believable. In any case, the car was making like a bot with a wake, no question.

Recently, had some front-end work done on a Model 3 (squeaky upper control arm), and so got a Look in there. With the wheel off and this-and-that removed so the mobile tech could do his thing, one gets a very clear view of the outside of the frunk. Given that there's a wheel there, this implies that when there's water splashing around, it's definitely hitting the outside of the frunk. which is likely waterproof for that reason.

So, a little splashing around isn't going to do it. But if one is going through, say, 18" of water, at speed, which is a heck of a lot of force, and the bumper gets ripped off as a result, one is going to have a ka-chung of surface water heading right into the entire front end, with the front end of the car acting as a scoop.

My suspicion is that anything that is anywhere in the front end under these conditions is going to have solid piles of water everywhere. I'm surprised that water didn't come out of the vents. And a couple of inches of water in the frunk.. something minor.

Sure hope that the water was fresh and not salt.