Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance All Season Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered a set of rims and tires from T-Sportline for winter. They have a laborday sale going on which includes free shipping and Michilan has a $100 rebate on cross climate 2's. I got a set of 18's and cross climate 2's for winter. Going to keep my Uberturbines for summer but no way I would use those rims and tires in the winter...

Just ordered a set of rims and tires from T-Sportline for winter. They have a laborday sale going on which includes free shipping and Michilan has a $100 rebate on cross climate 2's. I got a set of 18's and cross climate 2's for winter. Going to keep my Uberturbines for summer but no way I would use those rims and tires in the winter...
which rims did you get?

So I could really use some help here as I don’t really understand it and don’t want to get it wrong. So any help advice is appreciated.
I have a 2021 M3P. Has the OEM 20” performance tires. Living in Chicago I need all-seasons for winter. I am going to keep the 20’s and the Uberturbine wheels. With that said a few questions:

1) So does Tesla really have custom tires with sound deadening material in them?

2) If yes to #1, where can I buy the 20” all-season version of those tires? I’ve looked in the Tesla store but don’t see tires for sale.

3) If no to #1, then I’m planning to replace them with the Pilot Sport A/S 4 in 235-35-20. So my question here is: are these the best tire for quietness without losing too much range? Or is there another tire I should be looking at that has a better combo of quietness and minimal range loss.

Thanks for your help!

My first Chicago winter with my car I also didn't want to buy new wheels so I bought 20" Michelin Pilot Alpins and mounted them on the OEM 20" rims. Then later I bought another set of (rotary-forged, lighter) 20" rims for use in summer.

My question would be why buy all-seasons for winter driving? They're a compromise in all conditions - not great at anything...

In the end, you could probably source a set of 18" wheels and either all-season or winter tires for not a whole lot more than the cost of 20" winter tires alone...Talk to your closest Discount Tire store for recommendations and great service.

Reactions: afadeev
My first Chicago winter with my car I also didn't want to buy new wheels so I bought 20" Michelin Pilot Alpins and mounted them on the OEM 20" rims. Then later I bought another set of (rotary-forged, lighter) 20" rims for use in summer.

My question would be why buy all-seasons for winter driving? They're a compromise in all conditions - not great at anything...

In the end, you could probably source a set of 18" wheels and either all-season or winter tires for not a whole lot more than the cost of 20" winter tires alone...Talk to your closest Discount Tire store for recommendations and great service.
There's a reason they are called "no seasons"

These are what I'm planning on going with this winter.
PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON All-Season Radial Tire - 255/35R20 97V - $270/tire

For reference, I've used General Altimax RT43's in the past and been extremely happy with them. They're currently on my wife's car. They are pretty good at everything. They just don't make a size that fits our cars with 20's.

Anyways, get yourself some all seasons, then get a set of dedicated tract wheels/tires if you want to do autocross or track days.

which rims did you get?
I went with this package with the cross climate 2 tires. I wanted the smaller wheels and more rubber for winter. I went with the cross climate 2 because they are a all weather tire (not a all season confusing right). Warranty is 60k miles vs 45k for the x-ice. Don't have to worry about more wear if the temp is above 45 degrees. Plan on putting mine on sometime in October also don't want to do it on a crazy cold day in November or December. Wheels look like the Tesla arachnid wheels TSS 18" Tesla Model 3 Wheel and Tire Package (Set of 4)

Last edited:
So I could really use some help here as I don’t really understand it and don’t want to get it wrong. So any help advice is appreciated.
I have a 2021 M3P. Has the OEM 20” performance tires. Living in Chicago I need all-seasons for winter. I am going to keep the 20’s and the Uberturbine wheels. With that said a few questions:

1) So does Tesla really have custom tires with sound deadening material in them?

2) If yes to #1, where can I buy the 20” all-season version of those tires? I’ve looked in the Tesla store but don’t see tires for sale.

3) If no to #1, then I’m planning to replace them with the Pilot Sport A/S 4 in 235-35-20. So my question here is: are these the best tire for quietness without losing too much range? Or is there another tire I should be looking at that has a better combo of quietness and minimal range loss.

Thanks for your help!
The tires aren’t “custom” they are just AC (Acoutstic) for some sound absorption.

This is not accurate.

The 235 width PS4S that's been standard equipment on the Model 3P for some time is 0.5" wider than the "non-Tesla" version of the same tire, in addition to having the acoustic foam.

I'm not aware of a Tesla version of the Pilot Sport A/S...
The measurement of 235mm width at the tread is actually 240mm width? Did you take two side by side? Is the aspect ratio the same or does the rolling diameter stay the same?

This is not accurate.

The 235 width PS4S that's been standard equipment on the Model 3P for some time is 0.5" wider than the "non-Tesla" version of the same tire, in addition to having the acoustic foam.

I'm not aware of a Tesla version of the Pilot Sport A/S...
I’m on my second set of the OEM named tires and they are not special order nor are they custom. I specified the AC model which is standard available for EVs specifically for the sound dampening properties but not “custom” to Tesla.

Maybe I’m not reading your response right. We might be agreeing that they might be not as popular but aren’t “custom”. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The measurement of 235mm width at the tread is actually 240mm width? Did you take two side by side?

That's pretty common.
"Nominal" tire size varies from actual tread width, sometimes by 5mm, sometimes by way more than that (lots of reasons - long story).
Sites like tirerack.com list the actual tired tread width (and depth, and many other variables) for each and every tire brand, model, and size. Take a look, you'll see.

HTH,
a

Reactions: RemusBlack
I’m on my second set of the OEM named tires and they are not special order nor are they custom. I specified the AC model which is standard available for EVs specifically for the sound dampening properties but not “custom” to Tesla.

Maybe I’m not reading your response right. We might be agreeing that they might be not as popular but aren’t “custom”. 🤷‍♂️
My link didn’t work the way I intended - sorry about that. Go to Tire Rack’s website and you’ll see that there’s a Tesla-specific version of the PS4S, that it’s 0.3 or 0.4” wider than the non-Tesla versions of the same tire, and that it starts with 0.5/32nds less tread than those other versions as well.

Doesn’t mean that you can’t buy other versions or that they won’t fit your car, but there are reasons Tesla specs a specific version of the tire in the first place.

Last edited: