Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+ Ownership Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello #TeslaFam,

I am in the process of acquiring a midnight silver Tesla Model 3 SR+ with black interior in October. I currently live in a condominium and will be installing a home charger. I hear it is quite expensive since my electric panel is far from my garage spot so I am in the process of getting electrician quotes.

I had a few basic questions that would really help me:

1) What are the must-have accessories to purchase?
2) I ran some mock-up road trip scenarios using Tesla's web-based map, but it shows me arriving at my destination with 10%. What's the point of that? I would have to look at a supercharger/Level 2 right away as I near my destination because leaving it parked would just deplete my battery to zero. Any way to circumvent this? I'm new to this so I might not know all the ins and outs. I will get to my destination fine I guess but then I have to worry about charging it....
3)For those who live in very cold climates like myself, is it recommended to go on roadtrips during minus 15-10 weather?

Reactions: hcdavis3
Hello #TeslaFam,

I am in the process of acquiring a midnight silver Tesla Model 3 SR+ with black interior in October. I currently live in a condominium and will be installing a home charger. I hear it is quite expensive since my electric panel is far from my garage spot so I am in the process of getting electrician quotes.

2) I ran some mock-up road trip scenarios using Tesla's web-based map, but it shows me arriving at my destination with 10%. What's the point of that? I would have to look at a supercharger/Level 2 right away as I near my destination because leaving it parked would just deplete my battery to zero. Any way to circumvent this? I'm new to this so I might not know all the ins and outs. I will get to my destination fine I guess but then I have to worry about charging it....
3)For those who live in very cold climates like myself, is it recommended to go on roadtrips during minus 15-10 weather?

Hello #TeslaFam,

Must have accessories:

1. Floor mats. I recommend the Tesla ones - thick, and as much coverage as you need (as they are designed for the car).
2. Heavy duty plastic mats for the frunk and trunk - I went third party because the Tesla price was way too expensive. Check Amazon. You should get the thick plastic ones so you never have to worry about spills or carrying dirty things around
3. Aero wheel cap kit, if you plan to drive without the aero wheel covers on
4. Center console organizer tray, if you want to drop your keys/coins/sunglasses in without having to dig in to fish them out

I also went with BougeRV pedal covers to give the pedals a faux-aluminium look like the Performance model - I thought the default ones looked a bit cheap. Hardly a must-have though!

Arriving at your destination with 10% assumes there's a charger there waiting for you. If you don't have a charger, and live in cold climes as you do, I recommend you arrive with enough to get you to the nearest charger next time you drive.

As for roadtrips in -10, -15 etc, watch this channel on YouTube,
the guy lives in Norway and takes it to areas as low as -25, very similar to what you would get in Canada!

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Must have accessories:

1. Floor mats. I recommend the Tesla ones - thick, and as much coverage as you need (as they are designed for the car).
2. Heavy duty plastic mats for the frunk and trunk - I went third party because the Tesla price was way too expensive. Check Amazon. You should get the thick plastic ones so you never have to worry about spills or carrying dirty things around
3. Aero wheel cap kit, if you plan to drive without the aero wheel covers on
4. Center console organizer tray, if you want to drop your keys/coins/sunglasses in without having to dig in to fish them out

I also went with BougeRV pedal covers to give the pedals a faux-aluminium look like the Performance model - I thought the default ones looked a bit cheap. Hardly a must-have though!

Arriving at your destination with 10% assumes there's a charger there waiting for you. If you don't have a charger, and live in cold climes as you do, I recommend you arrive with enough to get you to the nearest charger next time you drive.

As for roadtrips in -10, -15 etc, watch this channel on YouTube,
the guy lives in Norway and takes it to areas as low as -25, very similar to what you would get in Canada!
Thank you for the reply! Since I will be parking in my garage at night, will the tesla give accurate battery percentages while taking into account the climate? If I input a trip , it will factor in the weather right? Pretty basic question but is Tesla drive anywhere map smart enough lol

Hello #TeslaFam,

(moderator note)

Merged two threads cross posted in separate sections into one.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Hello #TeslaFam,

The more inconvenient it is for your electrician, the more expensive it will be (further from the main circuit breaker panel).
Be aware that Homelink is not included (free if you pay more for Model S / X).
2) I ran some mock-up road trip scenarios using Tesla's web-based map, but it shows me arriving at my destination with 10%. What's the point of that?
It's reasonable to be prepared since there are not as many chargers as gas stations.
I would have to look at a supercharger/Level 2 right away as I near my destination because leaving it parked would just deplete my battery to zero.
Correct. Especially, in cold weather: The sequence is to charge first and sleep next if you don't have a charger at your destination.

If you do the reverse in a very cold freezing night: You have 30 miles left at your hotel, and your supercharger is only 10 miles away, so you would sleep first. In the morning, that 30 miles could have gone down to 15 miles or 5 miles and you won't even be able to drive 10 miles away to your supercharger in the moring because the battery needs to be heated up too.

Any way to circumvent this? I'm new to this so I might not know all the ins and outs. I will get to my destination fine I guess but then I have to worry about charging it....
That's prudent until you can access a charger everywhere as if they are gas station.

Yes. People have been driving Tesla in the arctic regions which are much colder than where you are with no problems because they know the limitations and plan for them.

Range is King. Especially for cold regions. I would get the longest range that I can pay for.

Range is King. Especially for cold regions. I would get the longest range that I can pay for.

Since the OP is already asking questions about winter driving and range, they really should consider buying the LR /AWD model 3, NOT the SR+. The general guidance I have seen here around range loss is to plan for 30% hit in very cold weather.

The OP is also likely falling into the "this car has a 263 mile range, its fine" thought process that many do, not really grasping that for normal usage, you will charge to no more than 90% and discharge to no more than 20%.

In any case, I agree with this 100%, especially if you live someplace with actual cold weather and want to take trips etc in that vehicle.

Reactions: Ru55o-Bolt
The more inconvenient it is for your electrician, the more expensive it will be (further from the main circuit breaker panel).

Be aware that Homelink is not included (free if you pay more for Model S / X).

It's reasonable to be prepared since there are not as many chargers as gas stations.

Correct. Especially, in cold weather: The sequence is to charge first and sleep next if you don't have a charger at your destination.

If you do the reverse in a very cold freezing night: You have 30 miles left at your hotel, and your supercharger is only 10 miles away, so you would sleep first. In the morning, that 30 miles could have gone down to 15 miles or 5 miles and you won't even be able to drive 10 miles away to your supercharger in the moring because the battery needs to be heated up too.

That's prudent until you can access a charger everywhere as if they are gas station.

Yes. People have been driving Tesla in the arctic regions which are much colder than where you are with no problems because they know the limitations and plan for them.

Thank you for this. I guess part of these roadtrips is finding hotels that have Level 2 chargers as part of the amenity. But are you able to reserve the EV spot ahead of time? Imagine arriving at a hotel with 2 EV spots, and they're both taken.

Since the OP is already asking questions about winter driving and range, they really should consider buying the LR /AWD model 3, NOT the SR+. The general guidance I have seen here around range loss is to plan for 30% hit in very cold weather.

The OP is also likely falling into the "this car has a 263 mile range, its fine" thought process that many do, not really grasping that for normal usage, you will charge to no more than 90% and discharge to no more than 20%.

In any case, I agree with this 100%, especially if you live someplace with actual cold weather and want to take trips etc in that vehicle.
Right. But I would install a Level 2 charger in my indoor garage. I barely drive. I currently have a BMW 333i and I accumulated just 23,000 KM in 4 years.... I travel by air a lot and work from home. The goal is that my car will always be plugged in my condo and ready to leave the garage at 100% each trip. It's just for that occasional roadtrip that I have to do like drive to Quebec City, Toronto or Boston where I am kind of anxious, especially during winter time....

Reactions: Matt125
Right. But I would install a Level 2 charger in my indoor garage. I barely drive. I currently have a BMW 330i and I accumulated just 23,000 KM in 4 years.... I travel by air a lot and work from home. The goal is that my car will always be plugged in my condo and ready to leave the garage at 100% each trip. It's just for that occasional roadtrip that I have to do like drive to Quebec City, Toronto or Boston where I am kind of anxious, especially during winter time....
Fixed.

1) IMO, must have accessories to purchase are all weather floor mats, all weather trunk mat/liner, window tint, sunshades, jack pads stored in the vehicle (if you ever need service outside the Tesla network), and endurance MicroSD card with adapter for dashcam (sentry mode is a power hog btw). Organizers, phone holders, etc. are popular, but it's up to you in terms of what you need.

2) The point of the map is to take you to your destination in the shortest amount of time, which means (a) less charging time - hence the lower battery percentage at arrival, and (b) faster supercharging rates, which occurs when the battery is the most depleted - hence the lower battery percentage at arrival at the supercharger.

Right. But I would install a Level 2 charger in my indoor garage. I barely drive. I currently have a BMW 333i and I accumulated just 23,000 KM in 4 years.... I travel by air a lot and work from home. The goal is that my car will always be plugged in my condo and ready to leave the garage at 100% each trip. It's just for that occasional roadtrip that I have to do like drive to Quebec City, Toronto or Boston where I am kind of anxious, especially during winter time....

If you're driving between major Canadian and US cities you will be on the Supercharger network, and battery capacity should not be a deciding factor in your decision between SR+ and LR.

If, however, you like driving out into the wilderness then LR might be a good idea because you could be out of supercharger range and even slow chargers can be hard to get a hold of. I live in the UK, smaller than Canada by a huge and obvious margin, but I'm going for a LR after 2 years of SR+ leasing because I'm tired of trying to find EV chargers when I go to Cornwall, the Lake District or Scotland.