Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 TPMS display & reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need the help of a fellow 2021 owner. I've looked and read and searched but can't resolve what I'm seeing. I'm within my first 100 miles and am trying to determine if I'm seeing a "feature" or a Due Biil issue to report.

My TPMS pressures display fine when I'm driving. They do not display any tire pressure values when I get into the car whether it's in Park or Drive, seat belt on/off, etc. until I drive the car. Yes, I've sat in it for 10+ minutes in hold mode and they don't display values. Only after driving. Do any other 2021 owners See this? Also the TPMS Reset is missing from my service menu. See image. This does not match the manual so I'd appreciate it if one of you could check yours.

Seems like you should be able to see if you have a low tire without having to drive it first.

My software version is 2020.48.10. Yes the image below shows a high battery %. I was doing a charge test.

20201218_081213a.jpg

So I guess the ability to reset TPMS has been removed on the 2021's? I know most of the service items are grayed out when driving, but it's just gone in any mode on mine. Not even a blank space.

It updates after about 50ft or so on mine. Agreed seems like a step back?

Thanks for your trouble. Yes, that seems like a definite step back.

This has been the only issue I've seen in two days of looking. Everything else looks great. I sent a message with the image to the delivery center as a "hey this is broken on delivery" type of theme. I'll see what they say but it was a long shot try.

I think what you’re seeing is normal. TPMS sensors sleep when the car isn’t moving for a while to extend the battery life. You have to start driving to wake them up and have them start reporting. At least that’s how they’ve worked on any car I’ve owned with TPMS.

I can’t tell you anything about the reset function though; I have a 2019.

At least that’s how they’ve worked on any car I’ve owned with TPMS.

My last vehicle would periodically check. If the tire went flat at 4.30am, I would get a notification on my phone.

It's nice to know you have a flat before pulling out the drive to get to work / an appointment. It's kind of strange, the bluetooth has to be "alive" most of the time for key detection, why wouldn't they also poll the tire sensors? I wonder what kind of life we're going to see from the sensors in the wheel stems. Do you think they added some kind of kinetic cutoff for sensor power management?

I think what you’re seeing is normal. TPMS sensors sleep when the car isn’t moving for a while to extend the battery life. You have to start driving to wake them up and have them start reporting. At least that’s how they’ve worked on any car I’ve owned with TPMS.

That's what I though so I put it in drive (hold mode on) to try and wake it up without driving to see if they'd kick in. I gave up after 15 minutes.

It’s the sensors that are controlling the sleep, not the car. They have to rotate to wake up and start transmitting the pressure signal.

Hmm, perhaps a change due to the new Bluetooth sensor? I'd love to see some documentation on this. I'll dig around.

Every other car I've ever owned the TPMS was alive and transmitting non-stop and was available as soon as the vehicle went into on or run mode (not accessory) .

• Informative
Reactions: jmbloom_m3p
Hmm, perhaps a change due to the new Bluetooth sensor? I'd love to see some documentation on this. I'll dig around.

Every other car I've ever owned the TPMS was alive and transmitting non-stop and was available as soon as the vehicle went into on or run mode (not accessory) .
In every car with TPMS I have driven (BMW, VW, Honda, and our 2018 and 2019 Model 3s) I have had to start moving to see the tire pressure.

They do not display any tire pressure values when I get into the car ... until I drive the car.

I got my M3 a year ago (2020), the TPMS never shows PSI until I have driven a short distance. I think what you are seeing is normal?

Also the TPMS Reset is missing from my service menu.

Can’t comment on that, never thought to look for TPMS reset.

I got my M3 a year ago (2020), the TPMS never shows PSI until I have driven a short distance. I think what you are seeing is normal?

Can’t comment on that, never thought to look for TPMS reset.

My 2018 model year model 3 performance, that has been sitting in my garage plugged into my wall connector for the past 60+ hours. It was woken up to take this picture

Also, as others mentioned, every car I have had with TPMS (the past 15 years or so, pretty exclusively BMW before I got my model 3) you had to drive a bit to wake up the tpms. the BMWs, until recently, would not even display tire pressure readings, just green, yellow, red colors, even though the car knew the pressure.

I suspected that they didnt want BMW owners driving to get the tires filled at the dealers when they were down 1 or 2 lbs of pressure, so didnt display it at all. You could turn it on with coding but it didnt even display pressure without that.

( note, my TPMS work just fine, if I drove around the block it would show me pressure just fine).

So, I am agreeing with @house9 and others who say "this is expected behavior".

IMG_0617.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: jmbloom_m3p
Regarding my screenshot above, this is with me entering the car, but not "starting" it by putting it in drive. When put in drive, I had the dashed lines next to the readings, just like the bluetooth one.

As for TPMS reset, I havent looked for it, I will take a look to see if its there on my 2018.

EDIT:

TPMS still there on my 2018 Model 3 performance
IMG_0618.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark57