Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS warning... but tire pressure not too low

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the colder mornings and one tire a couple pounds less than the others (I've been refilling it every couple weeks and it never gets more than 2 psi lower than the others) I am starting to get a yellow warning on that tire..... but it says 40 psi and the other 3 are 42-43. Even when it was really cold last winter and they were all below 40, I never saw a yellow TPMS warning light. Maybe a wonky TPMS? The loaner X I had from a service center long ago it only came on when 1 tire was much lower than the others. Reset TPMS option in the service menu? I'll see what my inflator reports when I get home.

MCU1 so software updates are few and far between.

Here's a pic of 38psi and no yellow warning from yesterday

Attachments

• 20231026_075319.jpg
    20231026_075319.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 72
MCU1 so software updates are few and far between.

Here's a pic of 38psi and no yellow warning from yesterday
IIRC my MCU1 system seemed to report the pressure issue at 47 psi. But my owners manual makes this a bit subjective:

The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) has detected that the air pressure in one or more of your tires is at least 20% lower than the recommended cold tire pressure. This recommended pressure should be displayed on the Tire and Loading information label.

Adjust tire pressures cold to their correct pressures, and Reset the TPMS. This will then fix in your preferred pressures into the system, and it will need to drop serveral pounds for the warning to illuminate. Sounds like your TPMS needs this recalibration.

With the colder mornings and one tire a couple pounds less than the others (I've been refilling it every couple weeks and it never gets more than 2 psi lower than the others) I am starting to get a yellow warning on that tire..... but it says 40 psi and the other 3 are 42-43. Even when it was really cold last winter and they were all below 40, I never saw a yellow TPMS warning light. Maybe a wonky TPMS? The loaner X I had from a service center long ago it only came on when 1 tire was much lower than the others. Reset TPMS option in the service menu? I'll see what my inflator reports when I get home.

The service center advised me that they could look at the tire that has the issue, with the 1 hour labor charge. In my case they did check the offending tire when they did a tire rotation at 12,000 miies the compromise to avoid the 1 hour charge if they found no issue. To me I felt that a ‘failing tire’ would be safer on the rear of the vehicle. The service department advised me that I was possibly being a bit a.. retentive about it. After adding two or three pounds here and there I finally gave up and put tape over the yellow indicator. In reality I finally purchased a 12 volt air compressor. When I replaced the second one, side node, they are not made for repleted use, I invested in a jug of the green tire repair fluidbecause

After being advised by the service center that the tires that Tesla uses have a special interior where it is advised that the service center should be involved as they are equipped to deal with these tires. The service center offered to check the tire, however there would be a 1 hour charge if they didn’t find an issue. However, they did humor me by offering to do a tire rotation at 12,000 miles and they would check the tire when it was off the car. After being advised that there was nothing wrong with the tire and tires can have a 1 to 2 pound variance, I was told that I may be being a bit a… retentive about the issue and there was nothing to worry about. With that being said, there was probably no reason to be adding the extra air.

After stopping at several service stations to top the tire off when they hit 35 or so pounds to the recommended pressure it seems like most every place I stopped, the air machine was out of order. After investing in a air compressor which lasted over the next 8 to 10 months I must have put in 400 or 500 pounds in the same tire, the one that was thoroughly checked. Eventually I had to get a second air compressor as the little 12 volt things are not an industrial tool. Finally with the third replacement, I picked up a bottle of the green liquid to squirt into the tire, which by this time would keep between eight and ten pounds after a seven to ten day period, which of course is not totally flat, so still no warranty assistance. So I put possibly an ounce or so ( the instructions state to use the contents of the bottle ) out of the bottle, as I did not want to disturb the special internal Tesla tire innards. Then the tire inflated up to the 42 pound recommended pressure. This allowed the tire to retain pressure, it would lose one or two pounds a week instead of ten or so a day. After following the guidelines to relieve the tire pressure, I added another minimal amount of the green stuff, put the valve back into the stem and inflated the tire to the recommended 42 pounds. There have not been any warning alarms since. I guess this is what the service department means when one is being a bit anal retentive.