Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 vs 23/24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been a fan of Tesla since the Lotus days, but now feels like a good time to buy one. I was leaning towards a new Y as the price is literally half the cost of the X. After a couple of test drives I determined it wasn't going to work. Seats 6 & 7 are practically unusable and the stuff I usually keep in my Mini Countryman doesn't fit any better in the Y. Additionally, getting my disabled daughter in and out of the Y is actually harder than the Countryman.

So Im looking at an X.
My question comes down to whether one should by a slightly used X (pre-refresh) or a new X. Either way I'm looking for 7 seats and the tax rebate won't be an option. The only reason I have to do one over the other is that I prefer the vertical screen and I can save $20k with a 2020/2021 over a new order.

The only other changes I'm aware of are the swap to vision only and the addition of the heat pump. I would love to hear everyone's knowledge, experience, and opinions!

I'm struggling with the same question, older vs new X. Similarly we test drove Y and X this past weekend, and the wife refuses to consider the Y. Really wants a usable 3rd row.

The new X has the latest hardware ("hardware 4"), faster charging times, faster computer, better (?) audio system, and the new glass is dual layer for soundproofing.

Another big one, perhaps, is that the older X's were built on the S platform and could suffer from wheel alignment issues depending on whether you were riding in low/normal/high.

I'm considering a new X, partly because I can transfer my free supercharging to it, but also because of all of the above. It's probably a dumb money move, especially because the 7 seater can't get the tax credit. Though prices are low, so either way it's a good time to be a buyer... used or new. If rates go lower, the prices will probably go back up 10k or more (esp for new). If buying used, though, I'd wait until all the tax credit buying folks start selling their used X's in Dec/Jan/Feb.

When did the wheel alignment issues stop?

I'm not very knowledgeable on that subject. Something to do with the fore and/or rear 'camber links', which led to shuddering upon acceleration (due to wear in a certain part, I believe) and the rear tires wearing too quickly on the inside due to their angle during driving.

More knowledgeable forum members can hopefully chime in as to whether it's been fixed. There are 3rd party replacement parts one can buy to compensate, if you end up with one.

There has not been a lot from Tesla about suspension engineering on the X. From everything I've read the front half-shafts still have the awkward geometry for the front driveshafts and when in low, still have the huge negative camber at the rear that wears tires out.

Have driven a pre refresh, Raven and the current build Model X's. The older cars were noticeably looser and louder. The worst were the creaks and noises from the far back of the X. It was like driving my Mother's minivan with flat tires. (The Toyota Sienna does a lot better on properly inflated tires :) )

The current Model X is the best handing of the bunch and that impression is probably reinforced by the reduction in cabin noise that helps the entire vehicle feel smaller. IMHO very few vehicle with all wheel drive "handle" well. The extra forces on the front wheels take away from steering feel and introduce all the wrong motions unless calibrated very well (some models of the GTI were passable and the OG Focus SVT was good).

Anyway, the 2023 is the best of the bunch, but even with a new one I could detect a little of the front axle shudder under acceleration.