Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

23 MX vs 23 MXP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently waiting to receive my first Tesla, new 2023 MX. Today, I heard my friend is selling his a-month-old 2023 MXP at 'good price'. As I don't have much experience buying used cars (on top of having no good knowledge about car in general), I would really appreciate your advice on this. Here is the detail of two:

1. New 2023 MX - estimated delivery 10/7-10/28, Car Price - $80,630 (less non-Tesla fees. when included, $87,756)
20'' wheel, 5-seat, No-yoke streering, No-EP, No-FSD
2. Used 2023 MXP - my friend got it a month ago, about 1,000 miles, Asking price - $87,000
22'' wheel, 6-seat, No-yoke steering, Yes-FSD

Here is my question but please feel free to give me any kind of advice:

Q1. Is this a good deal?
Q2. If not, why?
Q3. If yes, what should I look out for? Any risk?

Thanks in advance.

That's a significant discount from new price - somewhere around $20k. If I had a friend that I trust selling a like new MXP for even a $5k discount from new., I'd probably would have bought that instead of my new one. But ultimately it is potentially $15k more than what you would pay for your ordered car assuming you qualify for tax credit.

Your friend’s MXP configuration would cost $107k new right now. So yes, I think him selling it at $20k under that price with only 1000 miles is technically “a good deal.” The biggest question I would have is why is he getting rid of it. Is he a friend that would tell you what is wrong with it?

And it is only a good deal if you like that configuration. I wouldn’t want the 22” wheels. I wouldn’t want 6 seats because being able to fold down the 2nd row is important to me.

I think the better angle to view it is the comparison to what you have ordered. Do you qualify for the federal tax credit or do you have state incentives that would bring down the effective price of the new one? That new one could potentially be $72k, putting a $15k delta between the 2 options. Is the plaid performance, wheels, 6 seater and FSD worth that difference to you?

Reactions: Breakthrough
That's a significant discount from new price - somewhere around $20k. If I had a friend that I trust selling a like new MXP for even a $5k discount from new., I'd probably would have bought that instead of my new one. But ultimately it is potentially $15k more than what you would pay for your ordered car assuming you qualify for tax credit.
Thank you so much for your input. And yes, my existing order on MX is qualified for the $7,500. So assuming there is no issue on my friend's used MXP, it would be a no-brainer deal to take it (since there is a significant discount) and cancel my exsixting order of MX, right?

Your friend’s MXP configuration would cost $107k new right now. So yes, I think him selling it at $20k under that price with only 1000 miles is technically “a good deal.” The biggest question I would have is why is he getting rid of it. Is he a friend that would tell you what is wrong with it?

And it is only a good deal if you like that configuration. I wouldn’t want the 22” wheels. I wouldn’t want 6 seats because being able to fold down the 2nd row is important to me.

I think the better angle to view it is the comparison to what you have ordered. Do you qualify for the federal tax credit or do you have state incentives that would bring down the effective price of the new one? That new one could potentially be $72k, putting a $15k delta between the 2 options. Is the plaid performance, wheels, 6 seater and FSD worth that difference to yoI heard he is in a situation that requires cash asap.

Sorry, I am new to this forum so I didn't know how edit my reply above with typos.

As of current, I am not 100% certain if there is any issue on his car or not as I haven't seen/test-driven it. (After I reading some issues about MXP that were posted by some owners in this forum, I suspect my friend's MXP might have same issue but I will confirm) The reason why he wants get rid of was I hear he is in a situation that requires cash asap.

I have no issue with bigger wheel and 6 seats (thank you letting me know about folding! I need to dig in more about this from youtube)

If there is any downside on MXP compared to MX, I would want MXP as two experience owners agreed that it is a 'good deal' assuming there is no issue on the car.

Sorry, I am new to this forum so I didn't know how edit my reply above with typos.

As of current, I am not 100% certain if there is any issue on his car or not as I haven't seen/test-driven it. (After I reading some issues about MXP that were posted by some owners in this forum, I suspect my friend's MXP might have same issue but I will confirm) The reason why he wants get rid of was I hear he is in a situation that requires cash asap.

I have no issue with bigger wheel and 6 seats (thank you letting me know about folding! I need to dig in more about this from youtube)

If there is any downside on MXP compared to MX, I would want MXP as two experience owners agreed that it is a 'good deal' assuming there is no issue on the car.
The only downsides are higher insurance for Plaid models, and you must love a 6 seater. Rear seats do not lay flat for those Home Depot and Lowe's runs. You state you qualify for the tax credit so only the 5 seat model meets the sub $80K. 22" wheels will have less range by about 10% vs the 20" wheels on the sub $80K MSRP model.

I am currently waiting to receive my first Tesla, new 2023 MX. Today, I heard my friend is selling his a-month-old 2023 MXP at 'good price'. As I don't have much experience buying used cars (on top of having no good knowledge about car in general), I would really appreciate your advice on this. Here is the detail of two:

1. New 2023 MX - estimated delivery 10/7-10/28, Car Price - $80,630 (less non-Tesla fees. when included, $87,756)
20'' wheel, 5-seat, No-yoke streering, No-EP, No-FSD
2. Used 2023 MXP - my friend got it a month ago, about 1,000 miles, Asking price - $87,000
22'' wheel, 6-seat, No-yoke steering, Yes-FSD

Here is my question but please feel free to give me any kind of advice:

Q1. Is this a good deal?
Q2. If not, why?
Q3. If yes, what should I look out for? Any risk?

Thanks in advance.
The main thing I dislike about the Plaid, is the carbon fiber interior trim. I am a wood grain fan myself, and despise the carbon fiber look. If you are okay with it, or even prefer it, go for it. The numbers look good.

If you don't intend to make use of the Plaidiness, then don't get the Plaid. It's more expensive to insure, tires wear out, wheels get rashed, less range efficiency.
I assume S and X prices will continue to discount through year-end as Tesla continues to focus on volume and has fat margins to trim till buyers tap the button on the app. : )
Plaid is great, but makes sense in the S more so than the X.
I have the six-seater and would much (much) rather the five-seat to be able to make use of the space and not have the deadweight useless third row (for my purposes.)
I have FSD, but I don't trust it, EAP is great for commuting. I don't use summon or autopark, etc.

The only downsides are higher insurance for Plaid models, and you must love a 6 seater. Rear seats do not lay flat for those Home Depot and Lowe's runs. You state you qualify for the tax credit so only the 5 seat model meets the sub $80K. 22" wheels will have less range by about 10% vs the 20" wheels on the sub $80K MSRP model.
Thanks for your advice. This would be our commuting car, and our first luxury car in our life as well. I don't I will like 22'' wheel when the time comes to replace it.

If you don't intend to make use of the Plaidiness, then don't get the Plaid. It's more expensive to insure, tires wear out, wheels get rashed, less range efficiency.
I assume S and X prices will continue to discount through year-end as Tesla continues to focus on volume and has fat margins to trim till buyers tap the button on the app. : )
Plaid is great, but makes sense in the S more so than the X.
I have the six-seater and would much (much) rather the five-seat to be able to make use of the space and not have the deadweight useless third row (for my purposes.)
I have FSD, but I don't trust it, EAP is great for commuting. I don't use summon or autopark, etc.
I hear you. I was only considering MXP because of the discount that my friend was offering. To me, MX is more than good enough since is this my very first luxury car.

For my current order of MX, I didn't even purchased EAP. Should I at least add EAP on my current order? If I don't, would I regret a lot?

My 2 cents on why Plaid over the non Plaid. Even for a Model X.
This reminds me when I was doing a part time job as a private driver of car dealership owner. One day, he asked me to pick his son up at the airport. His arrival time was in 15 min and the airport was 1.5 hours away. The car was BMW 760 and I was hitting 130mph. It was quite fun and exciting.

• Love
Reactions: Neon001 and Darmie
I hear you. I was only considering MXP because of the discount that my friend was offering. To me, MX is more than good enough since is this my very first luxury car.

For my current order of MX, I didn't even purchased EAP. Should I at least add EAP on my current order? If I don't, would I regret a lot?
I think that would push you out of rebate eligible pricing. But you can add that feature anytime in the future through the GUI in the car.

I think that would push you out of rebate eligible pricing. But you can add that feature anytime in the future through the GUI in the car.

Not a problem. Software not included in price of qualification.

1696358472664.png