Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.12.3.1 / Model 3 / Seat Warmer App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's all crap. It doesn't make much sense that we can choose which icons to display by pressing the ellipsis button, *except* for climate related controls.

To add climate related controls, we must long press one of the icons, which then brings up the *same* menu as the ellipsis button, albeit with climate controls.

Very unintuitive and inconsistent. How about long press for customizing, then get rid of the ellipsis button and all "recently used" slots?

Essentially, they should've just taken what we had in v10 and allowed long pressing for rearranging. No customization was needed because... everything was already there.

Reactions: DblOSmith
It's all crap. It doesn't make much sense that we can choose which icons to display by pressing the ellipsis button, *except* for climate related controls.

To add climate related controls, we must long press one of the icons, which then brings up the *same* menu as the ellipsis button, albeit with climate controls.

Very unintuitive and inconsistent. How about long press for customizing, then get rid of the ellipsis button and all "recently used" slots?

Essentially, they should've just taken what we had in v10 and allowed long pressing for rearranging. No customization was needed because... everything was already there.
The ellipsis is there in order to access/use other apps that you have not docked.

The process of customizing/editing those that you dock is straightforward - long press an app.

Simple.

P.S. I also think the recently used slots are dumb.

The ellipsis is there in order to access/use other apps that you have not docked.

I believe everything could be on the dock. There's a lot of wasted space right now. Music was better under one icon. Passenger volume seems unnecessary. Split temp could show a little card on the bottom right of the map. Camera and dashcam should be combined. Arcade and toybox should be combined. Call and text messages both require voice to actually use so they can go away... use voice to initiate them too (or your phone). Calendar... I've never used it. Does anyone use it? It could go to the same place as passenger lumbar if you ask me.

The process of customizing/editing those that you dock is straightforward - long press an app.

Simple.

P.S. I also think the recently used slots are dumb.
I think you're missing what we're saying. The ellipsis does NOT show all other apps that you have not docked as of the latest update. When you press the ellipsis, you don't see defroster, seat heaters, wipers, etc. Those don't appear until you long press one of the apps, like as if you're going to place them in the dock below. Once you do that, SUPRISE, look at all this other stuff you can place in the dock that was never here before when you just pressed the three dots. It's dumb.

I think you're missing what we're saying. The ellipsis does NOT show all other apps that you have not docked as of the latest update. When you press the ellipsis, you don't see defroster, seat heaters, wipers, etc. Those don't appear until you long press one of the apps, like as if you're going to place them in the dock below. Once you do that, SUPRISE, look at all this other stuff you can place in the dock that was never here before when you just pressed the three dots. It's dumb.
Not missing what you are saying at AT ALL.

Various people in this thread apparently can't read release notes that clearly state to "Long press any app icon to enter edit mode, then drag the desired control to the bottom bar."

Also, there is NO reason to use the ellipsis get to the seat heaters, steering wheel heaters or defrosters - dock them in the bottom bar if you use them.

WTF do you people do when you get a new phone ffs?

Not missing what you are saying at AT ALL.

Various people in this thread apparently can't read release notes that clearly state to "Long press any app icon to enter edit mode, then drag the desired control to the bottom bar."

Also, there is NO reason to use the ellipsis get to the seat heaters, steering wheel heaters or defrosters - dock them in the bottom bar if you use them.

WTF do you people do when you get a new phone ffs?
Very few people read the manual when they get a new phone. If the interface is intuitive, you can figure it out without reading the manual.

Reactions: DblOSmith
This isn't about knowing the icons are available, because the release notes pointed that out, and it isn't like anything I've seen with a smartphone update. For some reason, some functions that can be on the dock are available by clicking the ellipsis when they are not docked and others are not. For example if you haven't docked the streaming icon, you can click the ellipsis, then click the streaming icon. If you haven't docked the browser you can click the ellipsis, then click the browser icon. However if you don't dock the steering wheel heater or seat heater (etc.) you can't access them by clicking the ellipsis. Yes, they're available elsewhere in the menus, but why have two classes of dockable functions?

If I choose not to dock the steering wheel heater or seat heaters, having them behind the ellipsis would allow me to access them without turning on the climate controls. I often run with just the seat/wheel heaters on in cool weather, and it bugs me (probably more than it should, but still...) that I had to turn on the climate control, adjust those heaters, then turn the climate controls back off. Now I have those items on the dock, but there still aren't enough spaces available on the dock for everything I would want immediate access to, so I'd welcome them making all the icons available behind the ellipsis.