Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S Base versus 2024 Model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am in the process of looking into replacing my 2022 Model Y with either
A. 2024 Model 3 LR new - ~50K with destination
B. 2022 Model S LR 19 inch wheels 12K miles (but with Tesla additional 1 year and 10K mile warranty) 61500

I am currently not eligible for the tax credit so that won't help me.

In the wisdom of TMC is the Model S range, space, upgrades worth the additional 11500?
I was watching out of spec reviews and they concluded the new model 3 as a better option (Performance variant). On one hand I like having the larger vehicle, but on the other hand having a brand new car is also nice.

I actually went and drove both of them back to back, and from the drivers seat they seem very much on par. The new model 3 suspension is dramatically improved. But is the extra space and 60 miles of range worth it? The 19 inch wheels on the model S with their staggered spacing limits tire rotation increasing costs compared to 18 inch on model 3.

Thoughts?

I think 300 miles of range with the supercharger network is plenty. I got by on ~240 with my P85D. A few times I wish I had more, but 300 is plenty.

Difference in tire costs over the lifetime of the car will be negligible compared to depreciation. Check insurance rates as well.

I think the uniqueness of the S is a big selling point, and the S will be noticeably faster, especially over 50 mph. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 3 or Y these days.