Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model S Base vs 2024 Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found that whatever thread you are asking in, that thread always goes with the car of the thread you are in. For example there recently was a poll between a '24 MYP and a '24 MX Base in the X forum and 90% chose X. I saw another in the M3P thread of a S Base vs M3P and almost everyone said M3.
I suspect a lot more people in the S forums have had experience with the Model 3. For example, I used to have an M3P and moved to an S Plaid. I doubt there are many people with a new S who moved to the new 3...

you will regret for not spending the extra $ on the Base S 2024, its far superior than the 3P, different level of ride quality; air suspension + adaptive dampers are just better. Having the front dash screen + yoke feels complete and way better to look at especially during AP/FSD (if you use them). S Aero is better than the 3P, and most importantly, S has active noise cancellation cabin while 3P has nothing other than passive soundproof. And of cos all the other perks you already know, more battery capacity, better power distribution (battery temperature lower as you have more of it), more trunk/frunk space, interior space etc, dont get fooled by the ludicrous badge.

Last edited:
you will regret for not spending the extra $ on the Base S 2024, its far superior than the 3P, different level of ride quality; air suspension + adaptive dampers are just better. Having the front dash screen + yoke feels complete and way better to look at especially during AP/FSD (if you use them). S Aero is better than the 3P, and most importantly, S has active noise cancellation cabin while 3P has nothing other than passive soundproof. And of cos all the other perks you already know, more battery capacity, better power distribution (battery temperature lower as you have more of it), more trunk/frunk space, interior space etc, dont get fooled by the ludicrous badge.
I agree with everything except the active noise cancelling. It’s rubbish, and does nothing. 😂

Reactions: terranx
The 3 should have been a hatchback. With that it would be close to perfect. As a dog owner that was the main reason we opted for the MYP. But baby sitting a friends 2022 S LR for a few days with easy side by side and back to back drives, the S is on another level. So some time this fall or early winter we are looking to trade up to the S LR.

Here’s an interesting fact I recently noticed, the S LR is rated at 3.1 seconds to 60 WITHOUT the 1 ft roll-out and the 3P is rated at 2.9 seconds to 60 WITH the 1 ft roll-out. So both cars are in a dead heat.

Reactions: TBrownTX
The 3 should have been a hatchback. With that it would be close to perfect. As a dog owner that was the main reason we opted for the MYP. But baby sitting a friends 2022 S LR for a few days with easy side by side and back to back drives, the S is on another level. So some time this fall or early winter we are looking to trade up to the S LR.

Here’s an interesting fact I recently noticed, the S LR is rated at 3.1 seconds to 60 WITHOUT the 1 ft roll-out and the 3P is rated at 2.9 seconds to 60 WITH the 1 ft roll-out. So both cars are in a dead heat.
I’ll have a more accurate time in the next couple weeks but I’ve run a 10.61 in my S LR and I’m nearly positive I’m below the quoted 3.1 from Tesla

I have had 3 Model S leases, including my current 2022 MS LR, and have loved them all. Agree with all things said about the model S but I want to add one thing: Due to lower predicted depreciation, the M3P is about 1/2 the lease cost of the MS. If you are going to buy the car and drive it into the ground, this does not matter, buy the MS LR for sure, but if you are considering a lease or might sell the car in a few years, this is something to take into consideration. My lease is up soon and I am trying to make the same decision..MS vs M3P. If I purchase, I get a MS or MSP. But I might just do a short term 2 year lease on a M3P and then consider buying the MS or MSP once that lease is up and hopefully the MS gets a significant refresh and HW5. Thoughts?

I have had 3 Model S leases, including my current 2022 MS LR, and have loved them all. Agree with all things said about the model S but I want to add one thing: Due to lower predicted depreciation, the M3P is about 1/2 the lease cost of the MS. If you are going to buy the car and drive it into the ground, this does not matter, buy the MS LR for sure, but if you are considering a lease or might sell the car in a few years, this is something to take into consideration. My lease is up soon and I am trying to make the same decision..MS vs M3P. If I purchase, I get a MS or MSP. But I might just do a short term 2 year lease on a M3P and then consider buying the MS or MSP once that lease is up and hopefully the MS gets a significant refresh and HW5. Thoughts?
Have you driven an M3P? If not; do. Both great but very different. Especially the MSP.

Just drove home my new S. One this is for certain, it's a heck of a lot quieter than my former '21 M3P, like not even close. No idea if it's the sound system or not (yet) but holy moly.
I've owned a '20 M3 Performance and now a '23 Model 3 Performance. In recent months, the road/wind noise has really started to irritate me. Nothing is 'wrong' with the car or can be corrected, it's just loud. Distractingly so at >65mph.

So I've been test driving the Model S LR and '24 Model 3 LR. Both 2-3 times, each. Different conditions and cars.

Normally, I'm not a big 'test driver'. I just pick the car I like with my objective and subjective features already determined via months of research and considerations.

But things like wind noise and road comfort are so subjective! I do think the new generation of Model 3 had made improvements. But the Model S is in a different league. Especially with interior quality. Just from the observable view and touchpoints from the driver's seat, the material quality is noticeable. I won't pretend it's S-Class/7-series/Audi level. But it shows attention to detail and a level of premium materials that simply doesn't exist on either new or old 3.

As I'm about to turn 50, I think I've finally come to the realization that I'm looking for something a bit more refined/premium in my cars. I used to joke 25+ years ago about how my uncles/grandparents loved Lincolns, and now I think I'm starting to figure it out :D

For short trips/errands, my Model 3 Performance is basically the perfect car. Easy to park and maneuver. But for my 45+ min commute, or any road trip, the S feels like it could check all the boxes for me.

Hopefully they'll turn on the FSD transfer option in Q3 or Q4, and I can pull the trigger on an S (possibly Plaid). Will likely hang onto the Model 3 too.

I've owned a '20 M3 Performance and now a '23 Model 3 Performance. In recent months, the road/wind noise has really started to irritate me. Nothing is 'wrong' with the car or can be corrected, it's just loud. Distractingly so at >65mph.

So I've been test driving the Model S LR and '24 Model 3 LR. Both 2-3 times, each. Different conditions and cars.

Normally, I'm not a big 'test driver'. I just pick the car I like with my objective and subjective features already determined via months of research and considerations.

But things like wind noise and road comfort are so subjective! I do think the new generation of Model 3 had made improvements. But the Model S is in a different league. Especially with interior quality. Just from the observable view and touchpoints from the driver's seat, the material quality is noticeable. I won't pretend it's S-Class/7-series/Audi level. But it shows attention to detail and a level of premium materials that simply doesn't exist on either new or old 3.

As I'm about to turn 50, I think I've finally come to the realization that I'm looking for something a bit more refined/premium in my cars. I used to joke 25+ years ago about how my uncles/grandparents loved Lincolns, and now I think I'm starting to figure it out :D

For short trips/errands, my Model 3 Performance is basically the perfect car. Easy to park and maneuver. But for my 45+ min commute, or any road trip, the S feels like it could check all the boxes for me.

Hopefully they'll turn on the FSD transfer option in Q3 or Q4, and I can pull the trigger on an S (possibly Plaid). Will likely hang onto the Model 3 too.

EXACT same thoughts here. I'm 51 so similar in age. Traded my '21M3P for a '24 MSLR Saturday. ZERO regrets.

Reactions: turns2stone
I'm 33 but I'm definitely on board with having a fast comfy car as my daily driver. Had an M3P but switched to an MSP last year. I do still enjoy a more connected feeling car for the occasional weekend drive and that sort of thing, but the Model 3 doesn't really go far enough in that direction to satisfy that desire. My old BMW M3 fills that role nicely, but eventually I'd like to have a 911 or something.