Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X Brakes and Rotor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a 2022 Model X and rarely use the brakes since the regen is so good. Recently I braked hard but the car shook while doing so. I took it into Tesla and they told me the rotors and brakes are shot and I need to replace all four. The car only has 20,000 miles. I thought the brakes can go for 100K miles. They billed me almost $1900. Has anyone else experienced this?

I picked up a 2022 Model X and rarely use the brakes since the regen is so good. Recently I braked hard but the car shook while doing so. I took it into Tesla and they told me the rotors and brakes are shot and I need to replace all four. The car only has 20,000 miles. I thought the brakes can go for 100K miles. They billed me almost $1900. Has anyone else experienced this?
Seems pretty odd for CA weather. Normally you don't use the brake pads much but it is still highly recommend to get the brake system cleaned and lubed ever year or two. I didn't and had to replace my front brakes and rotors because they were not sliding on the rods and wore the pads and rotors as they were getting 'stuck'.

Seems pretty odd for a 2022. Was yours used or did you get it new? ie. do you know how it was used (or "abused").

I drive with 3 kids all the time so definitely not abusing it. I always try to single pedal drive and have always been on pavement. It was a brand new 2022 X. Probably the first couple hundred made with the refresh. Whats more strange is that they told me the brake pads are good but the rotors are shot. They still told me I had to change both the pads and rotors for all 4. I always thought the pads go first and then the rotors. This was definitely not an expense I was expecting because I drove the 2018 X for 4 years without any cleaning or lubing and it was fine.
Seems pretty odd for CA weather. Normally you don't use the brake pads much but it is still highly recommend to get the brake system cleaned and lubed ever year or two. I didn't and had to replace my front brakes and rotors because they were not sliding on the rods and wore the pads and rotors as they were getting 'stuck'.

Seems pretty odd for a 2022. Was yours used or did you get it new? ie. do you know how it was used (or "abused").

I drive with 3 kids all the time so definitely not abusing it. I always try to single pedal drive and have always been on pavement. It was a brand new 2022 X. Probably the first couple hundred made with the refresh. Whats more strange is that they told me the brake pads are good but the rotors are shot. They still told me I had to change both the pads and rotors for all 4. I always thought the pads go first and then the rotors. This was definitely not an expense I was expecting because I drove the 2018 X for 4 years without any cleaning or lubing and it was fine.
I didn't know if you bought it 2nd hand and the previous owner abused it. I understand the situation now.

It makes zero sense the rotors would wear out before the brake pads. Goes completely against the design of those parts. It is 100% common to change pads with the rotors tho.

Maybe the rotors are not wore down but they are just warped and that is what they mean by 'shot'.

I sure was tired of the expense of brakes and rotors on our Explorer and then Expedition.

Since I'm in Chicagoland I'd say our clean and lube requirement is different than fair weather places (ie. snow, road salt, etc)