Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y -- Do I have lithium ion battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I took delivery of my 2022 MYP last Monday. I know I have the AMD Ryzen chip the information in the computer says so. However, how does one know if they also have the newer lithium ion battery as well? Is there somewhere I can look in the car information on the screen? Anything I can see from looking under the frunk? A label somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

for 12V battery, the current is Lithium-ACID . New technology is Lithium-ION which I believe Tesla is using in the S model. Lithium-ION 12V battery is supposedly better (no need to be replaced every 4-5 yrs)
For current production Tesla vehicles the older 12V lead-acid battery (not lithium) has been replaced with a smaller, lighter 15V lithium battery module that will hopefully last longer and be more reliable.

J: my bad. I thought of "lead-acid' but wrote "lithium-acid" . That's the sign of old age and why I ordered my Y ,but won't get it until Dec 2022
My friend bought the S-Plaid and he told me that his car came with a 12V lithium-ion which he said "does not need to be replaced" . Will see
I have 3 questions that I could not find the answer for (1) does my Y come with a 4680 battery? (2) does my Y come with a 12v lithium-ion battery? (3) does my Y come with a trunk cover to hide stuff underneath?
I am driving the 1996 MB E-320 and it's still going strong after 27 yrs and very little maintenance required. Amazing I6 engine, but lack of current safety features
Have a nice day U all

So the 12V battery in my Tesla must be lithium-ion like my high volt battery, right? NOPE! Much like that of a gas-powered car, your Tesla has a lead-acid 12V battery (minus the refreshed 2021 S & X). What’s the difference between these two?

For starters, lead-acid batteries are far cheaper than lithium-ion batteries up front, but over the course of the batteries’ lifetime, lithium-ion batteries make far more sense.

Not only that, but lead batteries have a limited cycle life. Lead batteries are good for about 500 to 1000 cycles as the best deep cycle. If you’re frequently tapping into your battery bank, that could mean that your batteries may need a replacement in less than two years.

In fact, Tesla had a reoccurring issue with its 12-volt batteries. Many in the community have seen their 12-volt batteries die on them with no warning sign whatsoever which could cause you to be locked out of your vehicle and essentially stranded.

Elon did address that they would be solving this by giving customers a heads up when their 12-volt battery is going to die, but that doesn’t address the problem and how to resolve it until their most recent 2021 Model S and X refresh. In fact, in an interview with Sandy Monroe, Elon did acknowledge that in their new refreshed vehicles for Model S and X 2021, and probably later, they’re going to be changing their 12-volt battery to a lithium-ion battery.

This means more capacity, more cycles. Essentially, your battery shouldn’t need to be changed quite nearly as often and should essentially last the same amount of time as your main battery pack. So if you drive a Tesla that is older than the new 2021 Model S or X, most likely, your 12-old battery is going to need to be replaced soon.

J: my bad. I thought of "lead-acid' but wrote "lithium-acid" . That's the sign of old age and why I ordered my Y ,but won't get it until Dec 2022
My friend bought the S-Plaid and he told me that his car came with a 12V lithium-ion which he said "does not need to be replaced" . Will see
I have 3 questions that I could not find the answer for (1) does my Y come with a 4680 battery? (2) does my Y come with a 12v lithium-ion battery? (3) does my Y come with a trunk cover to hide stuff underneath?
I am driving the 1996 MB E-320 and it's still going strong after 27 yrs and very little maintenance required. Amazing I6 engine, but lack of current safety features
Have a nice day U all
LOL - I read your post and thought, ‘Lithium Acid batteries? Am I that out of touch that there’s a new battery that I’ve never heard of???’

Just to clarify, though, all batteries have a finite number of charge cycles; they just differ in their characteristics.

Reactions: Rocky_H
The later 2021 and now 2022 Tesla Model 3, Model Y vehicles that have the Ryzen processor for the infotainment system also have the new 12V lithium battery module (actually measures 15.5V).
J: I know nothing about battery technology so I have to ask. Are U saying that 2022 Tesla 3 and Y cars now have the new 12V lithium battery module? I trust your knowledge but I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

I found this Utube for those who want to replace the 12V battery when the time come. Last yr I replaces AMG? batteries for my 1996 MB E-320 and my 2015 Lexus CT200h myself for approx $200 each, so $400+ Ohmmu battery is quite steep but maybe they do not have competitions, not yet anyway

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
J: I know nothing about battery technology so I have to ask. Are U saying that 2022 Tesla 3 and Y cars now have the new 12V lithium battery module? I trust your knowledge but I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

I found this Utube for those who want to replace the 12V battery when the time come. Last yr I replaces AMG? batteries for my 1996 MB E-320 and my 2015 Lexus CT200h myself for approx $200 each, so $400+ Ohmmu battery is quite steep but maybe they do not have competitions, not yet anyway

It is a different lithium battery technology from the Ohmmu 12V lithium aftermarket replacement battery. The new Tesla 12V battery used in the current Tesla vehicles is actually a 15.5V, 7.5Ah battery module. It is smaller and lighter than the older 12V flooded lead-acid battery or the Ohmmu lithium aftermarket replacement battery.

Hello. I took delivery of my 2022 MYP last Monday. I know I have the AMD Ryzen chip the information in the computer says so. However, how does one know if they also have the newer lithium ion battery as well? Is there somewhere I can look in the car information on the screen? Anything I can see from looking under the frunk? A label somewhere?

Thanks in advance.
Hi did you determine you had the new AMdD Ryder chip? I got my Y yesterday & I’m trying to figure out both of these details and I did not get a window sticker.