Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to purchase a used Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking into purchasing a pre-owned MYP.

I'm looking to ensure that the one I get has matrix headlights, the ryzen chip, USS, the supposedly upgraded comfort suspension, and the double paned windows.

Without having to drag myself to physically check if it has all of these in person, Is there a way to decode the VIN numbers to verify it has all of these I want?

Or is there a way to deduct that it has the ryzen, for example, based on interior differences from the late 2021 versus 2022+ model years?

I'm looking to ensure that the one I get has matrix headlights, the ryzen chip, USS, the supposedly upgraded comfort suspension, and the double paned windows.

Without having to drag myself to physically check if it has all of these in person, Is there a way to decode the VIN numbers to verify it has all of these I want?

Or is there a way to deduct that it has the ryzen, for example, based on interior differences from the late 2021 versus 2022+ model years?
I don’t think you can figure out all that from just the VIN except the model year.

I took delivery of May 2023 built MYP mid-May last year. It’s one of the last one to have Hardware 3. HW4 Model Ys started delivery soon after my delivery.

This MYP does not have USS but has the matrix HL, double pane front windows, Ryzen chip, and the “comfort” suspension.

What year model and month build is your MYP?

Reactions: P-Lo801
I don’t think you can figure out all that from just the VIN except the model year.

I took delivery of May 2023 built MYP mid-May last year. It’s one of the last one to have Hardware 3. HW4 Model Ys started delivery soon after my delivery.

This MYP does not have USS but has the matrix HL, double pane front windows, Ryzen chip, and the “comfort” suspension.

What year model and month build is your MYP?
I'm still in the process of looking. I think it may be impossible to get everything I want so I may have to think about what I prioritize more.

Reactions: RoBoRaT

Can't be done. Most of which you are looking for is hardware 4, but that doesn't include USS. If you get a 2024 MYP manufactured with hardware 4, you should get Ryzen, matrix headlights (which still can't be used 'matrixly'), comfort suspension and double-paned (front) windows. Mine, delivered in late August 2023, has all that. I did a MYP road test in July 2023, and the test car had all that. I think HW4 was introduced in spring 2023, but it's a guess.

I'm reasonably sure HW4 did not exist in 2022 or 2021 models, but you should have USS in there somewhere. Also lumbar support on front passenger seat.

HW4 can be identified by a red color in the camera lenses. None of the HW4 have USS.

• Helpful
You can have HW4 or USS…but not both. FWIIW, the park assist has gotten better with HW4. It’s still not down to the inch precision of USS, of course, but I expect it to improve. When I was test driving cars with HW3 and without USS, the park assist was pretty bad (it would give lots of inaccurate data). It was a reason I held off on my purchase. Though I am not sure if the improvement is due to HW4 or just that the software has gotten better. Maybe someone with HW3 w/o USS can chime in.

You can have HW4 or USS…but not both. FWIIW, the park assist has gotten better with HW4. It’s still not down to the inch precision of USS, of course, but I expect it to improve. When I was test driving cars with HW3 and without USS, the park assist was pretty bad (it would give lots of inaccurate data). It was a reason I held off on my purchase. Though I am not sure if the improvement is due to HW4 or just that the software has gotten better. Maybe someone with HW3 w/o USS can chime in.
Yeah, I mostly agree with this based on my experience coming from a 2021 Y with HW3 and having the USS disabled, and then moving on to a 2023 Model X LR with HW4. I still much prefer USS, though, but it has gotten loads better with software updates.

I understand now that it's gonna have to be either or, so thanks for clarifying that.

Reactions: mborkow