Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP MCU constantly freezing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all had my car for about 2months now and the weirdest most noticeable issue I’ve been constantly having is the MCU freezing intermittently.

My previous non amd model y had no issues like this one. I’m not even able to factory reset the vehicle as the option is greyed out.

I’ve tired the button reset , car shut off and nothing. The issue keeps coming back. Tried changing the usb storage from regular thumb drives to ssd

Has anyone had this issue? It’s really aggravating because when I’m trying to change something the screen is totally unresponsive

Reactions: Zalick
Hey all had my car for about 2months now and the weirdest most noticeable issue I’ve been constantly having is the MCU freezing intermittently.

My previous non amd model y had no issues like this one. I’m not even able to factory reset the vehicle as the option is greyed out.

I’ve tired the button reset , car shut off and nothing. The issue keeps coming back. Tried changing the usb storage from regular thumb drives to ssd

Has anyone had this issue? It’s really aggravating because when I’m trying to change something the screen is totally unresponsive

I second the recommendation to submit a service ticket. I also suggest that in your service ticket you provide the date / time you experienced one of these freezing events. If you cant remember the exact time, within an hour or two on a specific day probably works. If you are unsure of that, and this is a repeating thing, I would wait till the next time it happens, then note that down and submit the ticket on that same day.

The reason I am focusing on the date / time is, that will make it much easier for the Tesla service techs to pull the logs (either remotely or in person) and see what happened or what the car logs say at that time, and possibly authorize computer replacement or other actions that might be needed.

I second the recommendation to submit a service ticket. I also suggest that in your service ticket you provide the date / time you experienced one of these freezing events. If you cant remember the exact time, within an hour or two on a specific day probably works. If you are unsure of that, and this is a repeating thing, I would wait till the next time it happens, then note that down and submit the ticket on that same day.

The reason I am focusing on the date / time is, that will make it much easier for the Tesla service techs to pull the logs (either remotely or in person) and see what happened or what the car logs say at that time, and possibly authorize computer replacement or other actions that might be needed.
Thanks I’ve been having a lot of issues with this car, my interior camera doesn’t seem to work in any low light setting as well, didn’t think a newer build would have so many problems

okay so the strangest thing, ive been using the tesla usb stick the car came with, its been fine so far fingers crossed. I dont understand I was using a samsung t5 and t7 ssd both reformated via the vehicle and both those ssds have issues i guess causing the freeezing. I will keep an eye but this makes me wonder whats going on

okay so the strangest thing, ive been using the tesla usb stick the car came with, its been fine so far fingers crossed. I dont understand I was using a samsung t5 and t7 ssd both reformated via the vehicle and both those ssds have issues i guess causing the freeezing. I will keep an eye but this makes me wonder whats going on

I have definitely (like 100%, in multiple threads) seen people having issues with the screen / interface freezing be related to the USB drive they are using. Normally, its because its full, but I have seen a few having issues with various USB drives.

There is very little reason to have such a big storage device attached there for most people, except if they have big music collections. If you do have a big music collection, the freezing could be your music collection indexing / re indexing, etc.

I personally use a 256gb SD card, in an adapter (a pro one designed for endurance) and have used the same drive for the past 4 years I have had the car, with no issues.

I bought the same drive for my wifes model Y and its been in there since march of this year when we got the car with no issues.

TL ; DR -- this could definitely be the root cause of your specific issues (the USB drive), and if you find it continues to work with the tesla drive in there, consider not putting SSDs back in there.

Reactions: Corndart
I have definitely (like 100%, in multiple threads) seen people having issues with the screen / interface freezing be related to the USB drive they are using. Normally, its because its full, but I have seen a few having issues with various USB drives.

There is very little reason to have such a big storage device attached there for most people, except if they have big music collections. If you do have a big music collection, the freezing could be your music collection indexing / re indexing, etc.

I personally use a 256gb SD card, in an adapter (a pro one designed for endurance) and have used the same drive for the past 4 years I have had the car, with no issues.

I bought the same drive for my wifes model Y and its been in there since march of this year when we got the car with no issues.

TL ; DR -- this could definitely be the root cause of your specific issues (the USB drive), and if you find it continues to work with the tesla drive in there, consider not putting SSDs back in there.
Yeah this is just so odd I haven’t had the freezing for 3 days now and the car actually feels normal again. Both ssds were reformatted via car and pc. Just so weird considering that they seemed fine at first then the freezing started to happen

Keep us posted, I still don’t get why this is happening based off a usb

Because the media computer (which powers the screen) reads the USB for files / music.

If either of you have music on that USB, try NOT having any music on it and see if the problem goes away. I remember threads here that boil down to people having issues with some file names (symbols in file names) in music files possibly being an issue.

To rule that out, try using your USB drive with no music on it if you have music.

Because the media computer (which powers the screen) reads the USB for files / music.

If either of you have music on that USB, try NOT having any music on it and see if the problem goes away. I remember threads here that boil down to people having issues with some file names (symbols in file names) in music files possibly being an issue.

To rule that out, try using your USB drive with no music on it if you have music.
I’ve never touched my usb. Nothing on it.

That would also be some crappy programming by the software team if the type/size of the drive or file names on it could cause the McU to freeze.

Really… so that’s their excuse? I kind of don’t believe this answer because I had this problem before I was on the fsd beta build and even with the beta I still have this issue
I believe it. I don’t have FSD anything. And from what it appears in my case it’s clearly software related.

I don’t think they have any clue where in the code to look for the bug…..