Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 LR AWD(not performance) power ratings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I look up horsepower ratings for 2023 Model 3, all I get with every link I can find is the RANGE of power from 271-455. Well its obvious 271 is for the RWD, 455 is for the performance, but I can't for the life of me find an official statement of the horsepower and torque ratings for the *non-performance* LR AWD. Wikipedia has it at 34 hp and 376 ft-lb torque. I *assume* this is correct and probably lower than previous years as the 0-60 is slower???

Also, is the acceleration boost option still available for purchase with 2023 LR AWD?

I placed an order this past Wednesday when the $7500 discount was offered. Seemed like a great deal, time will tell if they drop prices in 2023 and offer the RWD LR again but the rebates seem awfully up in the air.

The P is limited to about 435 KW (~585hp) max.

The boosted LR is limited to something like 377 KW (505hp) max.

The regular LR is limited to something like 325 KW (435hp) max.

D448BBD4-DB68-4E21-B617-3D1839F3F08C.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: dfwatt
You'd be surprised how quickly one gets used to 400, 600, 1000 hp... and besides 435 or 505hp isn't nearly as exhillerating when dealing with 4.2K lb of curb weight (especially when throwing that weight around or trying to bring it to a stop).
The power to weight ratio is unrelenting.

These cars can be fast and can accelerate all too quickly (relative to public road speed limits), but unless you're young and in need of an ego boost or intend to use them as track toys - then for daily driving duty they are best as calm and steady cruisers, city/town chore workhorses and roadtrip people and gear haulers.

Reactions: cappo3
The P is limited to about 435 KW (~585hp) max.

The boosted LR is limited to something like 377 KW (505hp) max.

The regular LR is limited to something like 325 KW (435hp) max.

View attachment 888843
I have had mine show 462 KW “Max Discharge”. However, that is power at the battery. There are a lot of losses that happen between the battery and the wheels.

26F777F0-2C05-40D0-B72F-E540EE7360BB.jpeg

“Max Discharge” is more like power in the gas for ICE cars. It isn’t even power at the engine. “Max Discharge” is power before the motors.

That being said the “Max Discharge” value can tell you a lot about the car’s potential for acceleration. SOC can be almost irrelevant sometimes.

Here is an example with 89% SOC and only 365 KW “Max Discharge”. That is a 97 KW(132 HP) difference between the lowest and the max value that I have seen.

219ACF65-3A72-4FD1-9FCD-EF98C0445AD6.jpeg

I can’t stress enough how important optimal heat in the battery is. If these dyno runs are done with less than optimal heat in the battery they are essentially useless.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I have had mine show 462 KW “Max Discharge”. However, that is power at the battery. There are a lot of losses that happen between the battery and the wheels.

View attachment 889016

“Max Discharge” is more like power in the gas for ICE cars. It isn’t even power at the engine. “Max Discharge” is power before the motors.

That being said the “Max Discharge” value can tell you a lot about the car’s potential for acceleration. SOC can be almost irrelevant sometimes.

Here is an example with 89% SOC and only 365 KW “Max Discharge”. That is a 97 KW(132 HP) difference between the lowest and the max value that I have seen.

View attachment 889019

I can’t stress enough how important optimal heat in the battery is. If these dyno runs are done with less than optimal heat in the battery they are essentially useless.
I have observed the same swings in my S3XY app as well, and was equally intrigued at how much battery temp can make a difference!

I have read in multiple places from the folks who deep-dive the Tesla systems that the overall power limit is somewhere around 430-435kw, but indeed I do not know if that is the maximum that the BMS will allow to leave the battery at any given time, the maximum that can reach both inverters at any given moment (subtracting transmission losses), the maximum that will reach the motors at any given moment (subtracting inversion losses), etc.

In any case, I have also seen ~525whp (390kw at the wheels) on an All-Wheel dunk for the M3P at some like 90% SOC with no mention of preconditioning, so indeed regardless we are looking at mid-high 500s somewhere in the powertrain. Interestingly, I have also even seen somewhere someone used a Draggy to estimate HP, and it peaked at over 600hp (unknown if it estimates crank or wheel HP), and this was with the user charging to near-100%, and then navigating back to the supercharger so the car continues to heat the battery before he did the pass (and I think he ran something like 11.19).

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I have observed the same swings in my S3XY app as well, and was equally intrigued at how much battery temp can make a difference!

I have read in multiple places from the folks who deep-dive the Tesla systems that the overall power limit is somewhere around 430-435kw, but indeed I do not know if that is the maximum that the BMS will allow to leave the battery at any given time, the maximum that can reach both inverters at any given moment (subtracting transmission losses), the maximum that will reach the motors at any given moment (subtracting inversion losses), etc.

In any case, I have also seen ~525whp (390kw at the wheels) on an All-Wheel dunk for the M3P at some like 90% SOC with no mention of preconditioning, so indeed regardless we are looking at mid-high 500s somewhere in the powertrain. Interestingly, I have also even seen somewhere someone used a Draggy to estimate HP, and it peaked at over 600hp (unknown if it estimates crank or wheel HP), and this was with the user charging to near-100%, and then navigating back to the supercharger so the car continues to heat the battery before he did the pass (and I think he ran something like 11.19).
As far as I can tell I am the only one who has gone 11.1s. That was with 205 lbs of weigh reduction though.

I monitor HP and Torque throughout the run and HP peaked at 581 HP when calculated from the torque value. The torque value is reported from the motors I believe.

The real-time HP value is reported from the battery so that is MUCH higher. I have seen as much as 609(448 KW) HP for that value but that isn’t realistic.

C92D473F-E127-42CE-812F-F578FDFD414C.jpeg

As far as I can tell I am the only one who has gone 11.1s. That was with 205 lbs of weigh reduction though.

I monitor HP and Torque throughout the run and HP peaked at 581 HP when calculated from the torque value. The torque value is reported from the motors I believe.

The real-time HP value is reported from the battery so that is MUCH higher. I have seen as much as 609(448 KW) HP for that value but that isn’t realistic.

View attachment 889075
Oh! Lol I guess I was citing you the whole time :p

• Funny
For anyone curious, this thread references @mpgxsvcd ’s comments I mentioned: