Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 AWD or LR Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried searching before starting a new thread. I was surprised to not find a lot of questions on this subject. I have a M3 with FSD and I am considering getting a MY and transferring the FSD. I know the new MY has HW4 and FSD beta won't be available for a while and V12 will lag at least 6 months behind for HW4 vs HW3 vehicles. My focus is long term.

I was set on the LR until I put aside the hype and looked at real numbers and real world circumstances. I was amazed at how little real world difference the range of the LR has over the AWD. It actually has no real world everyday advantage for the vast majority of people. Even on trips it doesn't save on the number of stops and charging times are really close. The rest of the vehicle is basically the same. So the differences left are the DU and the battery. Which DU and battery offer the better long term performance and lifespan?

It appears from the information that I've found is that all the MY's are getting the same motor and it's limited by software. Are they all hairpin DU's? As for the battery, the 4680's are already not delivering on what we were told they would deliver so is it a safer bet to go with the 2170 battery? For both the DU and battery I'm looking for long term reliability.

Is there anything else I should consider?

In advance, thank you to everyone who responds with something more than, use the search function.

2170 has been proven for over 6 years now with many examples of high mileage and often supercharged cars doing fine.

4680 is only a bit less than 1.5 years in the market so there is no long term data. So far seems to be inferior in charging performance to 2170.

I was set on the LR until I put aside the hype and looked at real numbers and real world circumstances. I was amazed at how little real world difference the range of the LR has over the AWD. It actually has no real world everyday advantage for the vast majority of people. Even on trips it doesn't save on the number of stops and charging times are really close. The rest of the vehicle is basically the same. So the differences left are the DU and the battery. Which DU and battery offer the better long term performance and lifespan?
I looked into the same thing as you. When I looked at the actual real-world performance the AWD would end up making the same number of stops as a LR for all the destinations I looked at. The longer charging times really didn't bother me as we have two small children that generally need lengthier breaks anyway. The only time I would use an SC would be on a trip so day to day the extended charging time was inconsequential as I would be charging at home. I picked up my MYAWD on August 18 and to this point I am very pleased with my decision. Unless you are frequently taking lengthier trips or really desire the acceleration boost, I don't see any issues with the AWD.

I looked into the same thing as you. When I looked at the actual real-world performance the AWD would end up making the same number of stops as a LR for all the destinations I looked at. The longer charging times really didn't bother me as we have two small children that generally need lengthier breaks anyway. The only time I would use an SC would be on a trip so day to day the extended charging time was inconsequential as I would be charging at home. I picked up my MYAWD on August 18 and to this point I am very pleased with my decision. Unless you are frequently taking lengthier trips or really desire the acceleration boost, I don't see any issues with the AWD.
Thank you for your comment. I appreciate the feedback. I've been going back and forth with this decision and I agree with everything you said. The one thing that's still keeping me from moving forward is that I've been reading somewhat negative comments about the current 4680 combined with the fact that there is only about $2500 difference between the LR and standard range after discounts.

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate the feedback. I've been going back and forth with this decision and I agree with everything you said. The one thing that's still keeping me from moving forward is that I've been reading somewhat negative comments about the current 4680 combined with the fact that there is only about $2500 difference between the LR and standard range after discounts.
When I placed my order at the end of July, there were no discounts and no units in stock where I purchased (Columbus, OH). It looks like inventory has improved since and I have even seen a couple with discounts on the LR that would make it less than what I paid for my AWD. If that were the case, I would probably just go ahead and get the LR in that situation. In my use case, however, I didn't feel the $3k difference in price mattered much to me. My wife has a relatively new Honda Odyssey that we would use for any lengthier trips (10+ hours). I was coming from a Nissan Titan XD so I'm realizing a huge amount in savings already on fuel and maintenance. That meant that my vehicle wasn't practical for taking the kids to sports practices, dance lessons, etc. This is primarily where my MYAWD has taken over and it fits that usage perfectly.

My reasoning was if I keep the car long enough to degrade by 20% or more the range of the AWD might be annoying. And really the price diff is pretty insignifant after a couple of years.
However to each his own - neither is a bad choice.

Thank you. Disappointing. The 4680’s seem like a dud. Tesla needs to get out in front of this and indicate what’s happening with them. 2 years ago everyone was saying to wait until the 4680’s were out. Now I see repeated warnings about them and to get the 2170’s.

Here in Canada there is only one choice as all our 3’s and Y’s come from China. I’m pretty sure they are 2170’s but unfortunately also shorter range.

Cheers.

Reactions: cdub and El joe
Standard AWD Y is no longer avail for sale.
Wow! Maybe reserving all 4680 for Cybertruck production? But that also means they have to shut down a whole production line completely since that was the only model with the front casting and structural battery. 🤔

Or maybe Y AWD was meant to be a “Guinea pig” all along to test out structural battery and front casting viability before going all in on those for Cybertruck. 🧐

Wow! Maybe reserving all 4680 for Cybertruck production? But that also means they have to shut down a whole production line completely since that was the only model with the front casting and structural battery. 🤔

Or maybe Y AWD was meant to be a “Guinea pig” all along to test out structural battery and front casting viability before going all in on those for Cybertruck. 🧐
I guess it's possible the cybertruck uses the 4680 battery and mega castings and they need to divert resources.
It would be surprising if they just let the megacasting presses sit idle.

Maybe slow sales on that model? Some deeper problems they need to correct? So many questions....

With the redesigned 3 coming, maybe they are raising the price and the SRY was in a "dead" zone between the 3 and LRY?

So many questions, but curious unexplained move by Tesla.

Reactions: E90alex
Standard AWD Y is no longer avail for sale.
Kind of true. I was surprised to see it's now not availble on tesla's website to "design" and order. However, you can still buy one new from existing inventory:

Agreed, LR with the better charging curve is a much better value. Resale will also be higher so not sure you are really "saving" the ~$2500; especially if you hold for less than 5 years.

As another posted - if you keep the car 5-10 years then degradation could make the AWD range a major issue.
I'd agree for under $3k, but all the ones I've seen are $4-5k difference, at mount kisco.

I pick up my new Y on Thursday. I went with the LR with the tow package. The LR was only $1570 more than the identically equipped standard version after figuring in the higher discount on the LR. That made it a no brainer if only for the resale value. What actually made me look for the LR at a great deal was the feedback about the first gen 4680 batteries being unproven and that they appear that they might not be holding up as well as they should. Now I need to sell the M3 after I get the title for it.

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it. BTW, this is my first new Tesla and so far it's the easiest purchase I've ever made. We'll see how the pickup goes.

I pick up my new Y on Thursday. I went with the LR with the tow package. The LR was only $1570 more than the identically equipped standard version after figuring in the higher discount on the LR. That made it a no brainer if only for the resale value. What actually made me look for the LR at a great deal was the feedback about the first gen 4680 batteries being unproven and that they appear that they might not be holding up as well as they should. Now I need to sell the M3 after I get the title for it.

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it. BTW, this is my first new Tesla and so far it's the easiest purchase I've ever made. We'll see how the pickup goes.

Congrats!

Yes LR is worth much more than the small $1570 you paid. The charging curve really sucks on the 4680 pack. As you say resale is also better. Finally I'd also be worried about repairs if you decide to hold the vehicle a long time. The more prevalent model will ultimately have much cheaper parts and batteries than a more rare hard to find 4680 structural pack model.