Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 Radiator Rock Puncture requiring replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a radiator leak requiring replacement at 19k miles from a rock puncturing the radiator. These are the photos they sent. They're charging $1330.30 for a radiator replacement. Is this normal? It's not under warranty apparently due to outside influences. I live in Vegas and just do highway driving to and from work.

Attachments

• Image (1).jpeg
    Image (1).jpeg
    513.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Image (3).jpeg
    Image (3).jpeg
    648.7 KB · Views: 2
We had a radiator leak requiring replacement at 19k miles from a rock puncturing the radiator. These are the photos they sent. They're charging $1330.30 for a radiator replacement. Is this normal? It's not under warranty apparently due to outside influences. I live in Vegas and just do highway driving to and from work.
Why would you consider a rock hitting your radiator warranty service?

Think we all agree it’s out of pocket
No warranty for the rad did not fail

Btw, your vehicle insurance might cover as it’s a collision

Post repair consider

Front grill mesh protection, via Amazon
1719949487543.png

Under vehicle protection
1719949668683.png

You’re a road warrior, these front and under vehicle protections are def big improvement to help avoid your current situation from happening again.

Think the insurance route plus rhe protections will help you

Think we all agree it’s out of pocket
No warranty for the rad did not fail

Btw, your vehicle insurance might cover as it’s a collision

Post repair consider

Front grill mesh protection, via Amazon
View attachment 1061645
Under vehicle protection
View attachment 1061648

You’re a road warrior, these front and under vehicle protections are def big improvement to help avoid your current situation from happening again.

Think the insurance route plus rhe protections will help you
I'll definitely be purchasing one of these! Yeah, I've contacted the insurance already. Just wanted to see if this has been an issue for a lot of other people as I only drive highways here in Vegas but it sounds like I'm just one of the few unlucky ones lol appreciate the info!

Um. A family member driving his M3 down a highway in the dark of night ran into a bit of road debris, presumably something that fell off a truck or something. It dented the heck out of the front bumper and, on his car, destroyed at least one of the ultrasonic sensors.

While he was grousing about this to me my brain finally lit up and issued the words, "Road hazard!"

He did take it to his insurance company. I think it was covered under comprehensive, not collision, but am not sure. In any case, he paid the deductible, not the whole amount for the repair.

How it works out for you depends upon your state, your insurance contract, and whether they cover stuff like that. I guess it might be one thing if you're having fun off-roading and something like this occurs, but a different thing if you're going down an I-XX interstate. Dunno, call your insurer and see.

Reactions: kpanda17