Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent AC compressor replacement -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My AC recently went out. I was told it was the AC compressor that needs replacement and will cost $1200.
I dropped off car at the shop and I am now being told that AC compressor requires replacement due to internal short. He is also recommending receiver drier replacement due to debris in the filter. "A lot of external debris was also found between the condenser and radiator that is preventing proper AC cooling. He is recommending to attempt to clean the debris from the condenser. If it is unable to be cleaned and is clogged, then condenser replacement would be recommended. IF condenser needs to be replaced then the receiver drier op-code will be deleted as condenser comers with a new one installed."

New quote is $2500

Does anyone have any experience with this and know what I am dealing with. Is there any chance the cannot just clean out the debris? Not sure if they are just charge me for additional unnecessary service.

The only reason I am paranoid is because a year ago I had a flat. Car was towed to Tesla and they stated flat could not be repaired based on location of nail and would have to be replaced. I then bought it to tire shop and they said it was no problem to fix it and they did if free of charge. I'm afraid they are just trying to replace another part and charge me another $1300 bucks.

What would you guys do?

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
If you have the time to try and access it and clean it, give it a shot because an additional $1300 is no joke. What part of the 'condenser' exactly is dirty? I googled a M3 condenser and I got about 3 different things that all look like a radiator apparatus to me.

What model do you have?

My AC recently went out. I was told it was the AC compressor that needs replacement and will cost $1200.
I dropped off car at the shop and I am now being told that AC compressor requires replacement due to internal short. He is also recommending receiver drier replacement due to debris in the filter. "A lot of external debris was also found between the condenser and radiator that is preventing proper AC cooling. He is recommending to attempt to clean the debris from the condenser. If it is unable to be cleaned and is clogged, then condenser replacement would be recommended. IF condenser needs to be replaced then the receiver drier op-code will be deleted as condenser comers with a new one installed."

New quote is $2500

Does anyone have any experience with this and know what I am dealing with. Is there any chance the cannot just clean out the debris? Not sure if they are just charge me for additional unnecessary service.

The only reason I am paranoid is because a year ago I had a flat. Car was towed to Tesla and they stated flat could not be repaired based on location of nail and would have to be replaced. I then bought it to tire shop and they said it was no problem to fix it and they did if free of charge. I'm afraid they are just trying to replace another part and charge me another $1300 bucks.

What would you guys do?
Hey boss. Did you end up doing the replacement? I replaced my compressor as well this past week but at a local shop not the SC. Found an aftermarket compressor from R&Y compressor in north Miami Florida. Good so far.