Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - vehicle 4 weeks old already 2 tire punctures - warranty coverage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone.

My model Y is less than 4 weeks old and already has it's second tire puncture. The first one on the inside shoulder only a week ago ($600 cad tire replacement). Now another puncture, same wheel outside shoulder (again $600 cad replacement). Ouch.

I live in Vancouver, BC and am no stranger to construction but in my 30+ years driving in this city, I have never experienced such frequency of bad luck. I've read Tesla's are especially susceptible to nails, screws, etc due to the extra weight they carry.

Question: Should I stick with Tesla and have them service my tire replacement for the quoted $600 cad, or go with Canadian Tire that offers a $17 warranty that offers free replacements. I have induction rims, so i'm weary of using a 3rd party do the mount and rebalance.

Also, any know if Tesla offers a warranty under these circumstances? The car is so new afterall.

Thanks in advance.
ENzo.
the same thing happened to me in my new Model S....Going to my grandson's college baseball game and got low air pressure light....fortuntely only 1 mile from a Goodyear service center....they patched from inside after cutting small gap in foam......Two weeks later, same tire after rotation, another screw in middle....Patched again and have 28k miles on it and 10 trips to Salt Lake City from Irvine California........try and get it repaired.....

No tire shop is going to patch those. They're outside of the channels in the center of the tire.
You might find a chain tire shop that'll plug it, but they won't write you up - and do it as a courtesy, or you might find an independent mechanic who does tires, that'll plug it for you - but plugs are typically shied away from these days.
I have my own plug set for these exact scenarios, but usually it's to hold me over until I can bring it in to get it properly patched.
For those that can't be patched, I take into consideration how much tread is left, and if it's worth the risk of a blowout if the plug fails.
agree....too close to edge

Yes. That's what Discount Tires told me too. I turned down the offer because they will not replace all 4 tires. They only replace the damaged tire. Having one new tire and 3 old tires will make things worse. You pay upfront $225 for a new tire but you will pay more to replace all 4 tires sooner because all 4 tires are imbalanced, unless you replace all 4 at the same time. My car had nail puncture after 1 week too. I brought to Discount to replace. It costed $350. Tesla asked for $550.
discount is good......I would probably buy 2 tires and put them on the front.....put the other 2 on the back.....you have steering in the front, so tires should go there....

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
I haven't seen a single tire in this thread that couldn't be safely patched with a DIY plug kit from Autozone that would last the life of the tire.
Maybe the first two, but I wouldn't plug this one with the slit. Maybe a patch.

img_3764-jpeg.982780

True - I didn't catch that one. :) And it might be possible with an interior patch if drilled out correctly, but definitely not a DIY plug kit. Still would have to see if the belts were sliced much to make a safe determination.
I'd probably put 2 plugs into that and see how it held up. Maybe I'd see if Les Schwab would patch it. You're the tire guy though, so I can see you shaking your head at me now.

... I did use double plugs once when a rock punctured a tire while Christmas tree hunting. Rather than monkey around with a donut, I pulled the rock out using pliers, and put 2 plugs into the wide puncture. Inflated the tire with the Harbor Freight unit I keep in every vehicle.

Only got 2 days of use with that repair since I had already scheduled tire replacement.

Reactions: kpanda17
Although I've had the misfortune of replacing three tires on my Y, at least the Tesla tire repair van comes right to my house to replace and balance the new tires. I have no intention of driving 75-80 MPH on I95 between NJ and Florida with plugs in my tires. Two dangerous in my opinion.

Attachments

• Tesla Left Rear Tire IMG_9758.JPG
    Tesla Left Rear Tire IMG_9758.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Tesla RR 012924 IMG_0329.jpg
    Tesla RR 012924 IMG_0329.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Tesla RR 012924 IMG_0330.jpg
    Tesla RR 012924 IMG_0330.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Tesla Only Flat on the Bottom IMG_0328.jpg
    Tesla Only Flat on the Bottom IMG_0328.jpg