Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model S LR - FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure based on what they rolls the software out... but I was very surprised to get the update today…
Short Answer: “Can you say, ‘End of quarter FSD revenue recognition?’ That’s great, I knew you could!” Apologies to Mr. Roger’s neighborhood.

Longer Version: Last month I successfully schedulied FSD camera upgrade for my 2017 Model S that shipped with AutoPilot 2.0. Previous attempts were met with the standard put-off, “These cameras are in limited supply. We’ll notify you when it’s your turn.” The shift to Autopilot 4 cameras probably freed up Autopilot 2.5 / 3 cameras for the upgrade.

Additional good news - the cameras worked through sun glare! Revision codes: B-Pillar cameras were 1069104-SL/R-D and side repeaters were 1495866-22-C.

This left me in FSD Beta limbo. Finally got the cameras, but FSD Beta software was embargoed.

When I started my S on Friday, March 31 I saw a notification that a software update was available. Initiated installation when I parked at my destination. I almost heard the “Ka-Ching!” as Tesla’s accounting software brushed the dust off my 4-figure EAP-to-FSD upgrade payment from one of Tesla’s “need cash NOW“ markdown sales and added it to their first-quarter revenue total.

Saturday, April 1 I used FSD Beta 11.3.4 for nearly my entire 500-mile Philadelphia-NYC/JFK airport-Washington,DC-Philadelphia marathon. The merged stack was great on the highway, baffled by some DC traffic circle etiquette and maneuvers.

Our younger daughter’s return flights from work in Madagascar were scrambled by an Air France strike and the intense storms that swept across Eastern US. I assured her I would ferry her home from any airport on US East Coast.

Once she was on a flight to JFK I timed my arrival to meet her. Kicked myself when I discovered the airport’s free Cell Phone parking lot had L3 CCS /CHAdeMO chargers. The Tesla adapter at the charger I tried was nonfunctional and I had not returned my CCS or CHAdeMO adapters to my frunk after removing them to maximize cargo capacity on an earlier trip.

As we expected, our daughter’s JFK-IAD (DC international airport) connection was cancelled due to weather shortly before her arrival. If the flight had operated, she would have taken it and I would have enjoyed dinner at some interesting restaurant. They’re easy to find in NY City.

We crossed the storm front in Southern New Jersey. Fortunately, we sat out most of the excitement at our Supercharger stop. Our daughter marveled at the relatively long stop, compared to her family’s Model Y, due to the 2017 100 KWh pack’s modest and short 150 KWatt peak charging speed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Good point. I suspect it will take a while to integrate FSD with 2023 software.

First, FSD is rapidly evolving right now. Thus it’s a moving target for integration.

Second, the 2023 software supports different cameras and FSD computer. Thus, more integration points. And likely lots of nearly-from-scratch Dojo neural net training to accommodate that hardware.

My first guess is FSD will integrate with 2023 when CyberTruck production starts, or soon afterwards.

After more thought…there’s a relatively small fleet with the new cameras - higher pixel count, possibly better color, certainly different aspect ratio and coverage. This means Dojo is collecting useful camera footage for Autopilot 4 hardware at a much lower rate than for Autopilot 2.5 / 3.

Lower traction to climb the learning curve likely means a slower journey.

Reactions: aerodyne