Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 S. GPS quit after couple weeks. Waiting 40 days for part normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought new 2023 Model S in August. GPS quit after 3 weeks. Service “fixed” it by shielding antenna wire. Worked for a couple weeks. Service has rescheduled replacing antenna wire twice, now say they have no expected date for the new cable, guess by Oct 30, so scheduled for service that date. Says known issue.
Anyone else have this problem? No navigation, autopilot or FSD functionality.
Bought this for road trips, 405 mile range. Loaners are not allowed to travel > 200 miles from service center. WTF?

Ugh, I feel your pain. I have an August 2023 build Plaid and had issues, see this thread:

My issues appears to be resolved now. They replaced the antenna the first time, but the 2nd time they sanded some ground connections, and it turns out the antenna that they replaced wasn’t connected properly. It’s been almost 2 weeks now and everything is working properly.

I have no idea why they need so much time to get your parts. Good luck .

Upvote 0
Hi Phred, wondering how your latest service visit turned out and if the GPS issue is fixed.

I posted on a different thread of the same issue as yours and it is happening to me the 3rd time seemingly after firmware upgrades, still looking for resolution and help from Tesla.

Upvote 0
Hi Phred, wondering how your latest service visit turned out and if the GPS issue is fixed.

I posted on a different thread of the same issue as yours and it is happening to me the 3rd time seemingly after firmware upgrades, still looking for resolution and help from Tesla.

Check the post I linked to above. Service center fixed it for me by removing paint from ground connection, and loose (soft set ) connection on antenna. Could be contributing to your issue maybe?

IMG_0109.jpeg

Upvote 0
Interesting-- I have been having this issue for months (Plaid S, March build) I booked a service appointment and the center removed my wire tap for my radar detector which apparently restored GPS function and gave the car back to me admonishing me not to use the mirror as my radar detector power source.

Within a week, the GPS started becoming inaccurate and positioning the car 20 feet away from it's actual location (which, of course, makes Homelink unusable). I now have a second appointment--what do I need to tell them so this is fixed once and for all? I am growing tired of relying on my phone and Waze to navigate and not being able to use FSD.

Upvote 0
Interesting-- I have been having this issue for months (Plaid S, March build) I booked a service appointment and the center removed my wire tap for my radar detector which apparently restored GPS function and gave the car back to me admonishing me not to use the mirror as my radar detector power source.

Within a week, the GPS started becoming inaccurate and positioning the car 20 feet away from its actual location (which, of course, makes Homelink unusable). I now have a second appointment--what do I need to tell them so this is fixed once and for all? I am growing tired of relying on my phone and Waze to navigate and not being able to use FSD.

My experience is posted in post #4 above. Based on that, and what I’ve read from other posts here and elsewhere, it seems like fixes are:

1) Replace GPS antenna (and make sure it is corrected properly, as happened in my case)
2) if that doesn’t work, replace GPS computer/harness

They also sanded grounds on my car due to paint on the grounding points. Not sure how much of a difference this makes, but myGPS has been working fine since my visit back in early October.

It sounds like when they worked on your car they only removed the wire tap and didn’t replace the antenna. Is that right? If that’s the case, I think they will replace the GPS antenna, and hopefully that will be the fix for you.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0