Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X Drivers Seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone who has a 2023 Tesla Model X measure the driver's seat for me? I can't find any specs online. I want to know if the distance from where it hits the back of the seat to the front is about 20" as it is in my 2019 Model X. On long trips I find leg support very important so before I upgrade to a 2023 I want to make sure the seat has the needed length there to support my leg. My wife's Model Y is about 18 inches and I really notice it in a drive.

Reactions: PreguntsAnswrs
D6752B8A-9282-48FB-A68B-4F3833E51782.jpeg

Looks to be a hair under 20”.

The new X is better on long trips. The old is awful on long trips. Not sure what's doing it. Foot is in wrong "angle" on older X. I seriously need to do a comparisons one day. All the "vs" on YouTube is *sugar*
Is newer seat more narrow? I realize this is subjective. I prefer the pre-refresh Model X driver seat because it’s LESS firm than the 2023 model X seat. In fact, I am using a 3rd party cushion that I sit on top of the driver seat on my 2023 model X. But the 2020 seat feels just right. Anyone else have similar or different experience?

Is newer seat more narrow? I realize this is subjective. I prefer the pre-refresh Model X driver seat because it’s LESS firm than the 2023 model X seat. In fact, I am using a 3rd party cushion that I sit on top of the driver seat on my 2023 model X. But the 2020 seat feels just right. Anyone else have similar or different experience?
Yes, the newer Model X seat is more narrow. It's a smaller seat overall.
The 2020 seat is built differently and is lager. Read on ...

The newer (21-23) Model X seat I bought and took apart. (I also bought the older seat to compare and use in the rebuild process)

What is revealed is interesting.
On all Model S / X there's larger (than model 3/Y) seat bolsters. It looks impressive and might provide "support".
But....

For the newer Model X (and assume S as well) Tesla moved the thick heavy rod / wire to inside the foam seat bottom instead of outside attached to the metal frame. The wire goes entirely around the foam base but inside the foam. The problem is that it is inside the foam and can cut into the person sitting in the seat. It makes the seat effectively smaller!

While on the older seat for Model X (and I assume S as well), they used a wire loop attached to the outside of the seat frame.

When I compare the foam base of both, the older foam bottom is quite a bit larger. The newer foam bottom is quite a bit smaller. Because the newer one must "entirely" fit inside the frame and the only support for the wings is the metal from within the foam.

The foam isn't very thick either. I just pushed on both foams. The newer foam is more similar to the other cars, model 3 / Y with softer thinner foam.

The foam seat bottom is on the same metal seat base used in every model Tesla. The metal base is marked S3XY. It has attachment points for the wire loops for the older style model X/S on the outside of the metal frame. They are unused on the model 3/Y. And they are unused on the newer model X/S 21?-23.

A problem can arise whereby the person has a slightly wider hip width (or is a bit larger, etc.) like I do and they will be pressing into that heavy duty wire. It will hurt on long trips. The wire makes the seat feel smaller, because there is less room, now inside of this wire loop. In the worst case it can "cut into" the sensitive outside point of the hips and thighs. A person might feel one side more than the other, depending upon many factors.

I think Tesla may have also used the softer foam across the models. The foam in the 3/Y is very soft and relatively thin. The foam in older Model X / S seem to be a more dense foam.

This newer seat is a disaster and the worst possible seat design for people with slightly larger bone structure.

I was thinking I'd "upgrade" to a Model X one day to get more room and larger more comfortable seats, only to learn the Model X (and likely S) has the worst possible seat design for me. So I kept my Model 3 and rebuilt the seat.

I now have a rebuild for the Model X seat in the works as well...

Last edited:
Reactions: Roshay77