Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing front passenger seat back in a 2023 X plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with a 2023 X ever remove the front seat backs? Saw a video from RPM showing an older version just pop off after you remove the pin and take off the headrest. I followed the steps and successfully got the head rest off but the seat back wouldn’t come off even pulling as hard as I could. Is there a change in the 2023 model that makes the process different? Trying to take off the seat back so that I can install an after market one that has a folding tray table. On road trips, my wife usually sits in the back with our toddler and having a flip down tray table would be helpful in snack/food prep for the toddler.

Hi. I'm having the same issue as you. I've removed the headrest bit can't seem to get the seatback off no matter how hard I pull.

Did you have to push down from the top of the seatback pretty hard before pulling it out?

I'm afraid of breaking a clip or the holes where the headrest bars go into if I pull too hard incorrectly.

Thank you so much!

If you already fully removed the headrest, push down and pull out the seat back. It will feel like it will break but the seat back will finally come off.
Welp, I gave it a good effort, reclined the seat, had it upright, 45 degree angle, every which way, put my entire body weight on it and pulled, still didn't come off. 😞 It feels as though there are still some things attached to the top area of the seatback. The bottom and sides budge just fine, it's only the top area that's stuck.

If you already fully removed the headrest, push down and pull out the seat back. It will feel like it will break but the seat back will finally come off.
Can you do me a huge favor?

Is there anyway you can snap a picture of the upper area of the inside of the stock seatback covers? Specifically, the upper tabs where the headrest prongs insert into? I'm trying to figure out of there's a bit of a "hook" on those tabs that's holding onto the seat frame even after removing the headrest.

Thank you!!!