Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y 12 volt adapter not 12 volts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2023 Model Y’s 12 volt charger does not charge at 12 volts, it charges at a higher rate (15-15.5) and none of my 12 volt devices will work. Example: Can’t blow up my air mattress or paddle boards or anything else. What are people doing to remedy this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

12 volt 'charger'? I assume you mean the power port(formerly known as a cigarette lighter)?

Most 12V items will happily accept 14 volts or more since cars electrical systems can easily run that high with the engine running.

If you really want 12V, I'm sure someone makes an adapter. Its like one discrete component to get down from 15V to 12V.

Upvote 0
Normal car 12V is actually 13-14.5V if I remember correctly. The newer Teslas use a lithium ion battery for the "12V" system that when charging ends up at around 15.5V. You need devices that work at up to 16V on these cars. Not all devices will work, some cap at 15V I believe. I'Ve heard multiple people complain that paddle board inflaters don't work.
To remedy, you could buy a portable battery that charges from your car's 12 (15.5)V and in turn provides 12V...

Upvote 0
My 2023 Model Y’s 12 volt charger does not charge at 12 volts, it charges at a higher rate (15-15.5) and none of my 12 volt devices will work. Example: Can’t blow up my air mattress or paddle boards or anything else. What are people doing to remedy this issue? Any help would be appreciated.
My 2021 MY has a lead acid battery but I'm still moving away from the 12 volt connectors to rechargeable usb-c devices. Off the top of my head, I've got a rechargeable tire inflator, a rechargeable mattress inflator, a rechargeable vacuum, and several rechargeable lights, including a set of rechargeable road flares. Those 12 volt wires were very inconvenient, especially when I wanted to add air to all the tires.

Upvote 0