Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Groaning Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y making Groaning Noise Youtube Video

I bought a Tesla Model Y on 2023 Dec 6. On the 2nd day, I started noticing groaning noise when ever car decelerates and steering is completely turned left/right. It happens when I do a reverse as well. I am only seeing the noise if the stopping mode is in “Hold” as this is kicking in regenerative breaking. The noise is not present when the car is in Roll/Creep mode. I had 2 service appointments in the first week. On the first one, they removed and replaced breaks to see if it resolves and closed the service request. When I went back, I saw its still present. So, they made a 2nd service and again same result and they told me that they opened a request to Tesla Engineering team. The service manager took a new model Y from inventory and even it had the same issue but the old cars in the demo they don’t have it. Looks like Tesla changed some hardware around Dec 2023. They are expecting this might be the issue. It feels like *sugar* paying 55k for a car and on day one you have this huge issue.

Picked up a MYLR yesterday and I can confirm I have exactly the same issue. prior to this I had a MYLR7 which did not have this problem. Have to open a service request ticket. Also, when comparing the driving dynamics between old and new, the MY I picked up yesterday steering feels much much stiffer.

This was occurring on my 2023 MYP I took delivery of in September. Only seemed to occur with the steering at full lock while decelerating. It went away at least few thousand miles ago, currently have around 10k miles on it.

I didn’t worry too much, I figured it was either the brakes or CV axles just needed to be broken in a bit, which seems to be the case.

2023 MYLR, picked up last week, almost about 500 miles. Same sound and issue, they seem to have changed something recently compared to my 2021. I have a ticket in for it, but from what I've researched it seems to go away after a few thousand miles. Call it breaking it in, I still kept it in my ticket, but fully expecting the "within spec" response from the service center.

I feel the steering is stiffer. My cousin has 2021 Model Y. Compared to his, mine is stiffer as well.

Sillyowl_07, let us know what the service center says on this.
Just got my car back from service and basically it’s “within spec”.
Here is the technicians write up.

“Concern: Customer states: There is a grinding noise when turning the vehicle and it is slowing
down. Check and advise.

Repair Notes: Technician perform road test with customer and confirmed the concern that there is a
grinding noise when accelerating and turning then hard decollating. The noise is a normal
characteristic of the car and does not effect the performance and no repairs are required at this time.”

• Informative
Reactions: wildguess