Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y - Neck Pain . . . Seat Replacements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! Turning to the forum as a last resort. I love my Model Y and am a huge fan of the brand generally. With that being said, ever since I picked up the new Y in December 2022, I have been having awful radiating shoulder/neck pain. No matter what, I can't seem to find a comfortable position, and I'm beginning to worry this is going to have longer term physical issues. Have never had a neck problem up until now. What's weirdest is I actually rented a Model Y multiple times for work during 2022, and in some instances did very long drives (~2600 miles on one) and had absolutely no issues. But for whatever reason, I can't drive for five minutes in this without my neck really aching. I suspect it might be the headrest, although the guy at the dealership said the seats haven't changed from the 2022 model, so no reason why they would be suddenly so painful for me now.

Regardless, was curious (a) if anyone had a similar experience/solution; (b) if anyone had insight into after-market seat replacements (yes, it's getting that bad). I don't want to sell the car, but I drove in an X5 last weekend for a work trip and it felt like a completely different experience. Thanks!

I completely modified my seats.
From top to bottom.

I removed the headrest and bent the two metal rods until my neck was straight up.
Some just simply reverse the headrest. It will give you an idea anyway.

Mid/Upper back
I inserted a rectangular block of foam in the upper seat back, vertically, from the lumbar to the top, access from behind, not difficult.

Lower back
I removed the stock OEM lumbar support.
I inserted a rectangular block of foam HIGHER in the seat back to replace the lumbar support.

Seat bottom
I rebuilt the seat bottom.
I pulled the stock OEM Tesla foam out the tossed it!
I found a more dense foam and "sewed" the Tesla faux leather cover onto the replacement foam.
I also installed blocks of foam underneath the seat foam.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my new seat.

I sincerely hope this helps you,

Reactions: zoomer0056