Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MY: Tapping the penthouse in a 16-volt system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Background: I have successfully used the penthouse to power a NVX audio amp in my 2019 Model 3, but I also know that is a 12-volt system. Ran for 2 years and never had any alerts.

Now I have a 2023 Model Y that uses a 16-volt system and I want install that same system. Does anyone know if there is connection still on the penthouse and if so, if it is 12-volt? I'm assuming if they are still putting the connection points in there, it is 16-volts, but asking in case someone else has already figured it out. I've been reading other threads and watching videos but haven't been able to find a clear answer re: the penthouse itself. (I believe there is a connection off of the 16-volt lithium ion battery in the front trunk, but haven't confirmed if it is really 12-volt yet.)

Thanks!
Stephen

this is the only thread you'll ever need.

basically it's always 15.5v, you need to get a 2nd battery to not cause any warnings/errors and hook it up parallel with the front battery directly and NOT the penthouse. no more 12v!!

Reactions: St3phen
this is the only thread you'll ever need.

basically it's always 15.5v, you need to get a 2nd battery to not cause any warnings/errors and hook it up parallel with the front battery directly and NOT the penthouse. no more 12v!!
Thanks! Really bummed the penthouse option is now removed. That worked great for my prior NVX install on a Model 3. Someone needs to make an amp that can use 15.5v

Thanks! Really bummed the penthouse option is now removed. That worked great for my prior NVX install on a Model 3. Someone needs to make an amp that can use 15.5v
The thread reference is mine.
I wouldn’t say you “can’t” hook up directly to penthouse. Just that for me and the kicker amp I’m using, it’s too much of a draw when the car first wakes up from sleep and the MOSFETs engage. I don’t know what the threshold or delay required to get the car to wake up and then let the amp fully charge its little capacitors. That’s above my pay grade of electrical know how or calculation. I went the “throw more money at the problem” route and purchased the extra battery and ran wire all the way up to the front truck/battery.

Reactions: St3phen