Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Plaid - Wheel and Tire questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all
Been lurking and reading and thought it was time for my first post:

Took delivery of a model s plaid a few weeks ago, traded in my 2018 100d.

Love the car but I am really struggling with the tempest wheels…I love the ride but I really don’t love the look, with or without the caps. My plan is to put snows on these and buy a 20” setup.

Right now I’m trying to source 4 of the rear wheels from the model x plaid, which are 20x10 40mm offset. It should work nicely for a square setup, which I want so I can rotate the tires and get the most life out of them possible, and I really like the look of the Cyberstreams. Plan to mount pilot sport as4s on these wheels.

My questions:
- whats the right size? 285/35?
- I’m sure has been discussed at length but will I take a noticeable range hit with this setup do you think? Would 275s give more efficiency?
- for guys running square setups, do you run spacers in the rear? I was thinking 10mm?

Thanks!!

Love the car but I am really struggling with the tempest wheels…I love the ride but I really don’t love the look, with or without the caps.

I never understood when people say this. It's not like you can see the car when you're driving around because you're in it. Are we so worried about what other people see that we're willing to spending thousands of dollars on wheels that we, for the majority of the time, will never see anyways? Unless we just like seeing new wheels on a stationary car?

Or, maybe, just maybe, some of you actually hire people to drive your car around while you follow in another car so you can admire your car driving down the road with the new wheels? :) (yes, I've contemplated this since my P85D has the 21" turbines and I still do wonder what my car looks like driving down the road, lols).

I never understood when people say this. It's not like you can see the car when you're driving around because you're in it. Are we so worried about what other people see that we're willing to spending thousands of dollars on wheels that we, for the majority of the time, will never see anyways? Unless we just like seeing new wheels on a stationary car?

Or, maybe, just maybe, some of you actually hire people to drive your car around while you follow in another car so you can admire your car driving down the road with the new wheels? :) (yes, I've contemplated this since my P85D has the 21" turbines and I still do wonder what my car looks like driving down the road, lols).
What a silly take. The exterior look of any car is a primary factor in the purchase decision - this has been proven repeatedly over a very long period of time, and is why manufacturers spend so much R&D on design studios. Further, many feel the wheel design is a primary factor to the exterior look. The logical outworking of your take would have us all driving Pontiac Azteks.

Post of pic of yourself in your Sunday Best.

Hi all
Been lurking and reading and thought it was time for my first post:

Took delivery of a model s plaid a few weeks ago, traded in my 2018 100d.

Love the car but I am really struggling with the tempest wheels…I love the ride but I really don’t love the look, with or without the caps. My plan is to put snows on these and buy a 20” setup.

Right now I’m trying to source 4 of the rear wheels from the model x plaid, which are 20x10 40mm offset. It should work nicely for a square setup, which I want so I can rotate the tires and get the most life out of them possible, and I really like the look of the Cyberstreams. Plan to mount pilot sport as4s on these wheels.

My questions:
- whats the right size? 285/35?
- I’m sure has been discussed at length but will I take a noticeable range hit with this setup do you think? Would 275s give more efficiency?
- for guys running square setups, do you run spacers in the rear? I was thinking 10mm?

Thanks!!
I've got four TS5 20-inch rims waiting to get put on the car. Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 - 285/35/ZR20 I have not bought spacers as TS didn't think it needed them. But I can let you know once I put them on the car.

I've got four TS5 20-inch rims waiting to get put on the car. Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 - 285/35/ZR20 I have not bought spacers as TS didn't think it needed them. But I can let you know once I put them on the car.
What is the appeal of 20 inch rims vs 19 vs 21 inch? Do you have a photo? Thanks. I am debating about changing mine down the road.

Having 20's can be like the Goldilocks option. Not too big or too small and the size the track pack brake kit has if you get the wheel/tire option.

I am going with square 20's on mine. I am running 295/35/20. It has taken longer than I wanted but I should have them installed tomorrow.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Having 20's can be like the Goldilocks option. Not too big or too small and the size the track pack brake kit has if you get the wheel/tire option.

I am going with square 20's on mine. I am running 295/35/20. It has taken longer than I wanted but I should have them installed tomorrow.
What does not too big or too small refer too? Do you get the benefit of smoother ride, but still performance of 21 inch and attractive appearance?

Would 20” require camber adjustment and all the hassle of the factory 21”s like inside wear?

Would 20” require camber adjustment and all the hassle of the factory 21”s like inside wear?
From what I've seen, it shouldn't. I already did the camber adjustment and alignment so I should be golden.
What does not too big or too small refer too? Do you get the benefit of smoother ride, but still performance of 21 inch and attractive appearance?
Pretty much nailed it. I have gone with lightweight wheels to help maximize performance as well. The 21's have a bigger efficiency hit but I think they look awesome on the car. The 19's definitely ride better but it may not be that much of a difference depending on the roads you are on. In Chicago or NYC, I wouldn't consider 21's at all. In Florida they work pretty well. In Dallas, really depends on where you are at.

Here is what my car looks like on 21's just after I had PPF done. The wheels are Signature SV303S. I think they look awesome and even better in person. Unfortunately, I had clearance issues with my track pack brakes. So I ordered 20" wheels from Jamie @SignatureSales in a square config. These wheels have been a tremendous conversation starter and I don't think I've ever gotten more compliments on a set of wheels. Unfortunately the track pack brakes are massive and they didn't work with these wheels. So I will sell these 21's once my 20's are installed.

Plaid_0420.JPGPlaid_0421.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Yelobird and AMPd
From what I've seen, it shouldn't. I already did the camber adjustment and alignment so I should be golden.

Pretty much nailed it. I have gone with lightweight wheels to help maximize performance as well. The 21's have a bigger efficiency hit but I think they look awesome on the car. The 19's definitely ride better but it may not be that much of a difference depending on the roads you are on. In Chicago or NYC, I wouldn't consider 21's at all. In Florida they work pretty well. In Dallas, really depends on where you are at.

Here is what my car looks like on 21's just after I had PPF done. The wheels are Signature SV303S. I think they look awesome and even better in person. Unfortunately, I had clearance issues with my track pack brakes. So I ordered 20" wheels from Jamie @SignatureSales in a square config. These wheels have been a tremendous conversation starter and I don't think I've ever gotten more compliments on a set of wheels. Unfortunately the track pack brakes are massive and they didn't work with these wheels. So I will sell these 21's once my 20's are installed.

View attachment 971172View attachment 971173
How is your efficiency and feel with these 21 inchers, they do look nice. My passengers dont like the feel of the stock 21 inch wheels i have now.

My overall efficiency is 350 Wh/mile. I've round by not running it in low all the time ride comfort is better and I have no lowering links either. You can also try comfort mode.

The Signature 21" wheels with the stock tires seem more comfy than the 21" Arachnids. I have the Arachnids on now as I had to take the Signature wheels off as mentioned due to my brake clearance.

It varies by style. They had a sale going on when I ordered mine. If you reach out, Jamie may be slower than normal to respond. I think he is on vacation and out of state. Let me know if you don't have enough post count to DM him here.

Reactions: bhzmark
just to close this out, i'm going with 20x9s all around, and i'll be putting 275s on them. I may need to run a 5mm spacer in the back, we'll see. I bought four cyberstream wheels, these are the front wheels that come on the model x plaid.

I'm pretty pumped about this setup. with the 275s i'll end up with slightly more overall contact patch than the stock setup (285 rear, 255 front). I'm hoping this will give me the best blend of efficiency and performance. we'll see.

i'm trying to decide between michelin primacy and pilot sport AS4...I like the idea of noise reduction in the primacys but obviously the AS4s will be more responsive...that said, 99% of my drive time in this car i'll apprecite the noise reduction and comfort more than the responsiveness as it's a commuter for me. But the truth is the choice of tire doesn't matter too much because i'll be replacing them in 20k miles anyway right??

Reactions: SpicyPaneer

Just to respond quickly to this, I bought the car for me...I want it to look the way I like. It's not any more complicated than that.

Of course it's nice when a friend complements your car too... :)

If you plan to drive in the snow and run the same wheels/tires year 'round I would strongly encourage you to consider the Continental Extreme DWS 06+ as an option. Easily the best tires for year 'round use you can put on these cars IMO and far better than those you listed unless, of course, you don't plan to see any snow/ice use.

Oddly enough, those other tires review slightly better in the winter so I tried them thinking that they'd be worth the extra money. Wrong! they were downright dangerous in the same winter conditions in which the Conti's shine. After much first-hand testing on several vehicles I'm convinced that most of the reviews on the big name tire sites are all cooked. I mean, it could just be a lot of people in Southern California rating "winter" driving as superior but I doubt it.

They have a better tread wear rating and are cheaper than most of the competitor's A/S options as added bonuses. Every time I try another tire I always go back to them on my 19" & 20" Tesla wheels. If they made them in a size that fit the 21" wheels I may not even feel the need to swap out for smaller wheels as my primary motivation is to get a good quality A/S tire to run year 'round.

A little off topic but worth your consideration.

Reactions: bhzmark