Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Plaid - Wheel and Tire questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a quick pick of mine with the 20" Signature wheels. I will get another set of 20's for the winter. So far I am enjoying the setup.
IMG_2009.jpg

To each their own and at least we have choices. I don't mind the huge weight savings over the arachnids and tires are typically cheaper in 20" sizes. For me one of the compelling reasons to do what I did is the square fitment.

I can rotate wheels front to rear, and as a result my full treadwear warranty is in effect. With the staggered setup the manufacturers cut the treadwear mileage warranty in half. I have a feeling Michelin will be buying me a few sets of tires.

I am still getting a feel for this setup, but it seems like the car pushes less in turns now thanks to more tire up front. Still scuffing them in but it looks promising.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
To each their own and at least we have choices. I don't mind the huge weight savings over the arachnids and tires are typically cheaper in 20" sizes. For me one of the compelling reasons to do what I did is the square fitment.

I can rotate wheels front to rear, and as a result my full treadwear warranty is in effect. With the staggered setup the manufacturers cut the treadwear mileage warranty in half. I have a feeling Michelin will be buying me a few sets of tires.

I am still getting a feel for this setup, but it seems like the car pushes less in turns now thanks to more tire up front. Still scuffing them in but it looks promising.
A big part of why I always go squared too. We rotate regularly (every 3k miles) and somewhat recently we got 75% back of what we paid for a set of crappy Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 tires that wouldn't have been possible w/o a squared s/u that we rotated regularly.

I want to keep running the OEM spec Michelins. They’re insanely sticky, load rated, speed rated, quiet and 295s make a massive visual impact when seen rolling from the rear. Eventually I’ll add the n2itive suspension bits to improve tire wear.

I’m waiting on my fully USA sourced and assembled (rare bird) Forgeline wheels in the same specs as the Arachnids, but pushed out 10mm front and rear to sit a bit more flush with fenders. 21s look best imho.

I will never modify the air suspension with lowering links. I want to retain factory ride quality and longevity.

Once I get the wheels on, my MSP will look sorted for a long time with them big arse OEM ccbs peeking through the y mesh. Arachnids will sit pretty in storage for as long as I own my MSP.

Last edited:
just to close this out, i'm going with 20x9s all around, and i'll be putting 275s on them. I may need to run a 5mm spacer in the back, we'll see. I bought four cyberstream wheels, these are the front wheels that come on the model x plaid.

I'm pretty pumped about this setup. with the 275s i'll end up with slightly more overall contact patch than the stock setup (285 rear, 255 front). I'm hoping this will give me the best blend of efficiency and performance. we'll see.

i'm trying to decide between michelin primacy and pilot sport AS4...I like the idea of noise reduction in the primacys but obviously the AS4s will be more responsive...that said, 99% of my drive time in this car i'll apprecite the noise reduction and comfort more than the responsiveness as it's a commuter for me. But the truth is the choice of tire doesn't matter too much because i'll be replacing them in 20k miles anyway right??
to close out my close out, i ended up buying pirelli p zero GOE genesis in 275/35r20 square setup - basically the same rubber that came on the car. These have good sidewall height low rolling resistance, good treadwear rating (50k mile warranty) and cornering performance, and i should be getting < 1% speedo error due to how similar the rotating diameter is. Plan to run 5mm spacers in the rear. hopeful i won't get any rubbing in the front, we will see.

I never understood when people say this. It's not like you can see the car when you're driving around because you're in it. Are we so worried about what other people see that we're willing to spending thousands of dollars on wheels that we, for the majority of the time, will never see anyways? Unless we just like seeing new wheels on a stationary car?

Or, maybe, just maybe, some of you actually hire people to drive your car around while you follow in another car so you can admire your car driving down the road with the new wheels? :) (yes, I've contemplated this since my P85D has the 21" turbines and I still do wonder what my car looks like driving down the road, lols
🤦🏻‍♂️

I never understood when people say this. It's not like you can see the car when you're driving around because you're in it. Are we so worried about what other people see that we're willing to spending thousands of dollars on wheels that we, for the majority of the time, will never see anyways? Unless we just like seeing new wheels on a stationary car?

Or, maybe, just maybe, some of you actually hire people to drive your car around while you follow in another car so you can admire your car driving down the road with the new wheels? :) (yes, I've contemplated this since my P85D has the 21" turbines and I still do wonder what my car looks like driving down the road, lols).
You don’t understand why people care what their car looks like? 🥴

Yeah Conti DWS06 PLUS (the plus is important, they had a major update last year) are awesome; also Michelin Crossclimates are a great competitor - they're stunning in snow for an All-Season (*ran on an X5, not Tesla :/ ).
The Crossclimates are supposed to rate real well on efficiency too, unfortunately I couldn't find anything for rated efficiency on the DWS06 (I wish this was standard info!).

The Contis will probably drive a little better/sportier, the Crossclimates will definitely be a "comfort" tire (meaning dulled steering response) but that's expected on a set of "winter" AS tires...

The PS4-AS are rated as one of the best "sporty" all seasons on the market, and they should be awesome everywhere except potentially give up a little grip in fresh snow where the DWS and the crossclimates should excel.

Pick your flavor.

Also at OP - post some photos when you have the Model X 20's fitted - I was always curious on that look. I also love the size of the 20's and think it's the perfect size for Model S!

Sorry, I thought I already had. Apparently, I posted it in some other threads.

View attachment 979320
You actually did further up, my bad :/
I gotta say, that's probably the best looking Model S I've ever seen. Those wheels (and the brakes behind them) are just perfect!
Great move on the square fit too, not surprised it'd give the car a bit better balance.
What rim width and offset did you run for the 295's? Looks like they sit just right.

You actually did further up, my bad :/
I gotta say, that's probably the best looking Model S I've ever seen. Those wheels (and the brakes behind them) are just perfect!
Great move on the square fit too, not surprised it'd give the car a bit better balance.
What rim width and offset did you run for the 295's? Looks like they sit just right.
Thanks! I love the wheels as they are pretty light and really let the brakes show through. The Signature SV501S's were as close as I could get to the 3 pieces SV303S I had before and had them built specifically to clear the brakes. I loved my 303's. I put a photo below for reference. I didn't want to go with the SV104's that everyone seems to run.

I wanted that same look as the 303's but I couldn't go with as much concavity. Jamie @SignatureSales set me up with a set to fit. They are 20x10". I don't remember the exact offset but they fill out the wheel wells nicely and no rubbing or issues at any settings. I don't remember the exact offset but Jamie would have that.

My criteria was:
Clear the brakes
Square setup that I could rotate the wheels
Look like my SV303S
Lightweight

I think Jamie nailed it on all accounts.

Forged Signature Wheels 3 Piece SV303S. I am going to put them up for sale now that I have everything sorted for my car. I absolutely loved them and I still think they are the best looking wheel I've seen on my car. The concavity looks awesome but won't work with the track pack brakes as they are built. The SV501S are the closest I could get to these. I can't tell you how many compliments I got on the street. Now it is more about the massive brakes poking through and then they notice the wheels. ;)
Plaid_0420.JPG

Seems like objective performance vs subjective appearance. In general a smaller tire will result in improved acceleration and range due to decreased rotational inertia, wind resistance, overall car weight. Subjectively they may not look as good or may look better depending on personal taste which probably reflects many years of cognitive conditioning

Or, maybe, just maybe, some of you actually hire people to drive your car around while you follow in another car so you can admire your car driving down the road with the new wheels? :) (yes, I've contemplated this since my P85D has the 21" turbines and I still do wonder what my car looks like driving down the road, lols).
It's like saying "why do people care about how their house looks from the outside? It's not like you can see the house when you're living in it"

• Funny
Reactions: 85percent and bkcyk