Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Y Performance alignment not fixed after 2 service visits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. First Tesla (2023 Y Performance). Love the car. Noticed immediately after taking ownership the car pulled slightly left. Enough that if held perfectly straight the car will enter the oncoming lane after 50 yards or so. I basically always have to hold the wheel about 5 degrees to the right. While not a big issue, it annoys the living hell out of me. I’ve taken it in twice now, free of charge I should note, and have been told they made minor changes to the alignment both times but that the techs did not notice it when driving it (of course). I’m at a loss at this point. They obviously don’t believe me, and I’m not sure what to do. Any advice is much appreciated, cheers all.

Pete

Hello, and welcome to TMC,

The only suggestion I have is reading through this existing thread to see if anyone else was able to get this solved:

Feels relevant since you mention "when I hold it straight it tracks....."

Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

It comes down to two options, you continue to try to get Tesla to fix it or you go with a third-party alignment shop

You say it "annoys the living hell out of me", so how much $ is that worth to you?
If $0 out of pocket, then continue trying with Tesla
If $100 out of pocket, then get a front alignment from a third-party shop

I had the same issue with a new BMW, was unsuccessful with trying to get the dealer to fix it for free, so I just lived with it until I eventually took it to a third-party shop and got a front alignment

Personally I would try once with the dealer or service center in this case, but that's just me, for you maybe you're willing to try as many times it takes, hill to die on

Last edited:
I don't think the SC perform any alignment and It seems that
your SC didn't bother taking your car to a tire shop to check it,

I would recommend taking your car yourself to a tire shop to check the alignment.
Since it is a brand new car, I would request that they only check and don't make any change.

You might be charged only half the cost, or even more get no charge if no alignment
was required, especially if you were a previous customer.
So this way you will have a valid report to show to the SC if needed.

From what I previously noticed when reading various TMC threads,
when an alignment was ordered by a SC, the customer never received a copy of the report.

I personaly took my brand new car to a tire shop to check the alignment, so I would have
a reference for later use. In fact, this was a good idea because one of the rear tires had too much toe.
This was not noticeable when driving but this tire would have certainly be worn out
faster that the other tires, forcing to replace both tires on the same axial.

I would recommend getting an electronic thread gauge to check regularly the tire's threads.

• Helpful
Reactions: zoomer0056
I just got an alignment at a local shop known for working on high end vehicles. They had to align my car four times to get it right, but they test drove it every time, and brought it back if the wheel was even a little bit off.

They said that Teslas are very finicky for some reason - they never can get it right on the first try. But they do eventually, and don't let the car go until it is.

Needless to say, my factory alignment was trash.

Tesla wants $300 in my area for an alignment and I don't think they would have put the time or effort in that these guys did. ($260, but that's on the high end for my area)

• Helpful
Reactions: chobra