Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Highland M3LR Hands Free Boot Option - Anyone got it to work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Works fine but you need the UWB key in your iPhone. Doesn’t work with Android.

It works by standing still and you will hear 3 beeps and opens if the car is already unlocked. If locked I get one beep and it opens after a short time delay to connect to the car.

Reactions: wow400
Works fine but you need the UWB key in your iPhone. Doesn’t work with Android.

It works by standing still and you will hear 3 beeps and opens if the car is already unlocked. If locked I get one beep and it opens after a short time delay to connect to the car.
Thanks - as I understand it, an iPhone 15 pro is able to be a UWB key and Nearby interactions are turned on which implies UWB. I’ve upgraded my key within the app so the app now just offers phone key best practices….
I’ve done a 2 key reset of the car as well but locked or unlocked, I just stand there by the boot for up to a minute & nothing happens 🤷‍♂️

Thanks - as I understand it, an iPhone 15 pro is able to be a UWB key and Nearby interactions are turned on which implies UWB. I’ve upgraded my key within the app so the app now just offers phone key best practices….
I’ve done a 2 key reset of the car as well but locked or unlocked, I just stand there by the boot for up to a minute & nothing happens 🤷‍♂️
There's a different setting which can disable UWB:

You may also need to do Phone Key > Upgrade
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...C4__GUID-C5AB82D0-2DA3-4087-8BB2-BAD08ECDE2EB

There's a different setting which can disable UWB:

You may also need to do Phone Key > Upgrade
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...C4__GUID-C5AB82D0-2DA3-4087-8BB2-BAD08ECDE2EB
Thank you for that - that was a setting I hadn’t found regarding UWB. Unfortunately it was already turned on.
I did the phone key upgrade when I changed to the iPhone 15 and there nothing left to upgrade now!
Thanks for the info though 👍

Thank you for that - that was a setting I hadn’t found regarding UWB. Unfortunately it was already turned on.
I did the phone key upgrade when I changed to the iPhone 15 and there nothing left to upgrade now!
Thanks for the info though 👍
Weird, I'll have my car on Saturday and assuming it has this software on or I can update it to it then I'll let you know if I can get it working.

I collected my M3LR 2024 from Southampton this morning. When I got home, the Locks/Hands-Free-Trunk option did not seem to be available, nor did I have the phone key upgrade option available on my iPhone 13 Pro (iOS 17.5.1). I feared I might have issues.

However. a software upgrade was available for the car (at software 2024.2.200.2.7 as shipped). It took a while to download and install software 2024.14.9 (wi-fi connection needed). Once installed, the Locks/Hands-Free-Trunk option was visible on the iPhone and selected. The phone key upgrade option was now available on the iPhone and the boot actuallly beeped and opened hands-free!

Reactions: FastLaneJB
So got my car today, had to update to 2024.14.9 which was waiting to download. Once that was on, app wanted to upgrade the key which I did. Jumped in the car and turned this feature on and tried it out, worked first time.

Hope you get yours sorted. It’s quite a nice way of getting around not having a kick sensor.

So got my car today, had to update to 2024.14.9 which was waiting to download. Once that was on, app wanted to upgrade the key which I did. Jumped in the car and turned this feature on and tried it out, worked first time.

Hope you get yours sorted. It’s quite a nice way of getting around not having a kick sensor.
Thanks - I’ve opened up a service request so we’ll see what happens!
Enjoy the car 👍

Reactions: FastLaneJB
2024 M3LR + iPhone 15Pro with App version 4.33.0. Hands free trunk enabled in car settings.
Nearby interactions turned on & location set to always yet I stand behind the car & nothing happens.
Any ideas why?
I have mine working the first time after the vehicle's software update to 2024.14.9. But then it stopped working. I then tried to uninstall and reinstall the app, now the app does not asks for permission to use nearby interaction, nor did it give me an option to upgrade the key. Not sure what else I can try.

Not helpful, but just let you know that you are not alone....

I have mine working the first time after the vehicle's software update to 2024.14.9. But then it stopped working. I then tried to uninstall and reinstall the app, now the app does not asks for permission to use nearby interaction, nor did it give me an option to upgrade the key. Not sure what else I can try.

Not helpful, but just let you know that you are not alone....
Yep, Tesla support have been working with me to try find out what’s going on and have just asked me to delete app & keys and start afresh. Now I don’t even have ability to ‘upgrade key’ nor nearby interactions 🤷‍♂️

Strangely just on way back from London. Drove to train car park just fine, now looking in app to turn on climate before I get back to it and it wants me to setup my phone as a phone key… so somehow it’s just forgotten it’s a key to my car. My wife’s Model 3 is still in my app and not complaining it’s not a key.

Good job I have my keycard on me this time, I don’t always.

New update to the IOS app 4.34.1 which has enabled nearby interactions so I’ll see if this makes any difference in hands free trunk operation 🙏
The app update solved my issue. I updated the app this morning. As I open the car's door with the app open, it asks for permission to access nearby interaction. I pressed allow and then UWB seems to be working, e.g., hands free trunk works again if I stand near the rear trunk with the phone in my pocket. Hope the updated app resolved the same issue you encounter as well!

The app update solved my issue. I updated the app this morning. As I open the car's door with the app open, it asks for permission to access nearby interaction. I pressed allow and then UWB seems to be working, e.g., hands free trunk works again if I stand near the rear trunk with the phone in my pocket. Hope the updated app resolved the same issue you encounter as well!
And mine too!
Hands free trunk finally works for the 1st time 💪