Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 MY SR v 2022 MY LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning all,

Looking to swap out of a company car and into a car allowance, but having a slight dilemma in where to put my money, options below

2024 MY SR on personal lease, £399/month with 9 payments upfront, circa £18k over 3 years.

2022/23 MY LR on the used market, ~ £30k, would finance using 50% cash savings and 50% low cost loan (pre-approved)

Usage would be circa 10-15k per year (15k would increase personal lease costs). 1 return trip every 3 weeks (220 miles each way, motorway), would install a home charger and have access to free office charging.

My gut feeling is that the loan/cash option would be financially better, but obviously it would start to lose the standard warranty fairly soon (if under 50k miles). The LR would also suit my usage a little better with the longer trip.

Crystal ball time on future EV values but would prefer to own the asset as it gives a little more flexibility...thanks all.

I’ve owned a 2021 SR+ M3 and now have a MYLR. The extra battery is great on longer journeys and it charges quicker. The extra performance is noticeable. But the SR could be charged to 100% (LFP battery) whereas the LR I only charge to 80% daily. Therefore in day to day driving the ranged are pretty similar.
The M3 RWD was a sweeter handling car, I’ve driven M3LR and the dual motors do corrupt the steering slightly.
I do think the LFP cars range Varys dramatically in winter. The SR+ would drop to 180 miles in winter vs 250 in summer. My LR will do 300 sumner and 250 winter.
Would you longer trip be past Tesla Superchargers? If so it’d be painless. If not, I’d get a LR to mitigate public charging issues.

Reactions: NorthYorkEV
My gut feeling is that the loan/cash option would be financially better, but obviously it would start to lose the standard warranty fairly soon (if under 50k miles). The LR would also suit my usage a little better with the longer trip.
This view has been challenged recently with auto makers especially Tesla playing havoc with the market. There is a nuanced view about this especially if you are buying EVs in general and Tesla in particular. Tesla value drops dramatically and there is no clear trend other than Tesla producing more than demands for various reasons. The 30K you drop in today may lose its value to 12-15K in 2 years and that is unheard of with traditional ICE cars.

If you have a low interest lease option from Tesla go for that option. I have done a separate thread on SR vs LR, you can go thro' it for further information.

Check this thread:

And this too:

Last edited:
Thanks all for the comments. I've done some further maths and the lease option for a brand new LR model @ 15k per year is only £100/month more than a used example.

I tend to cruise at 75mph so I think the LR version will help to extend the range.

Decisions..

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I tend to cruise at 75mph so I think the LR version will help to extend the range.
Tesla’s energy app predicts how much % you will consume for a trip - what I do is try and do 1% better than Tesla prediction as my challenge to keep it interesting. I have checked the time it takes to do the trip if you do on normal motorway speeds of 70-75 and reducing the speed to 60-65mph increases the time only by 15 minutes in UK roads. However, the difference is much higher in Europe because of less traffic.

Yes, I would have gone for LR if money isn’t a major issue.

Tesla’s energy app predicts how much % you will consume for a trip - what I do is try and do 1% better than Tesla prediction as my challenge to keep it interesting. I have checked the time it takes to do the trip if you do on normal motorway speeds of 70-75 and reducing the speed to 60-65mph increases the time only by 15 minutes in UK roads. However, the difference is much higher in Europe because of less traffic.

Yes, I would have gone for LR if money isn’t a major issue.

Agree, doesn't save you much time but I find 75mph keeps you in a sweet spot of making decent progress without worrying about speed cameras and police (what police?)

I couldn't do a 220 mile trip at 60mph but could see why and how people do..

Reactions: Adopado and spdpsba