Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR approximate range 80% of battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But like you say the 80% ‘limitation’ also applies to the RWD. You can’t really ‘get around it’ by charging it up to 100% because it takes forever and just as long as charging the LR to 100%.

I don’t disagree on the value/price argument though, the extra range is very expensive unless you put a lot of value on having the extra motor for the additional speed given the SR and LR interiors are the same on the Y unlike the 3.

Tesla no doubt know this but price to the fact that most people think they need a lot more range than they actually do. Like I said, I went with the SR 3 because the extra didn’t make that much difference in the real world. This was particularly the case when I bought the car as I don’t think the LR would get me much further down the road because of where the chargers actually were. There are more now of course.

some are worried about battery SCed to 100% 5-6 times in a long journey (again the charging is going to be too slow and not very good for battery).

My view is that it really isn't realistic to be charging to 100% at Superchargers unless you have no choice due to the particular route. The Tesla Supercharging advantage is the speed of charging and you are on your way. Charging to 100% isn't just a bit slower, it's massively slower. Two short charges would be quicker than one long charge up to 100% in many cases. (This is even ignoring whatever the long term effects on battery degradation might be.)

Mine fully charged today shows 260miles. Hope as mentioned by @MrBadger over a period of time BMS/CAC improves certain bit of range and the assumptions it makes !

It seems to start at a value that equates to the EPA range then drops off before levelling off within a bounds of a few miles or so - ours fluctuates (>4yr/30k) between mid 280’s and low 290’s - started off at 310. That’s certainly how our car behaved on both occasions (new and CAC reset) and how similar cars on TeslaFi have behaved - although there are some outliers.

giphy.gif

@spdpsba We faced a similar choice on battery size years ago, to go with a standard range X or long range.

The X is the least efficient car Tesla made, and with a standard range battery its probably got the lowest range, I get about 150-200 miles depending on weather, speed etc.

However SC is fast, easy, and our car is going to be 7 years old in 2024 with has 73k miles on the battery. This summer we drove to Itay, the longest day included driving from Lake Como to Bern. This was with a fully loaded car, 6 people + luggage whilst crossing one of the highest Alpine passes in Europe (Stelvio).

Last year we went to Norway and got as north as the Atlantic Highway, next summer will be more subdued due to needing to focus on house renovations, but we'll probably drive down to France somewhere (We've been to France every year since getting the car COVID aside.)

Only you know the value of the cost difference between SR and LR for your own usage/bank account. But every Tesla ever built was designed for long road trips, and have no issues traversing Europe, even our coming to up a decade old, small battery X!!!

53430715718_1ac9ff2c47_c_d.jpg

img

I should add, our daughter loves road trips, her friends cannot believe you can drive to these amazing places in Europe versus flying to some generic holiday resort. Having your own car gives you so much more freedom to explore Europe :).

53066196551_72133e00a3_c_d.jpg

@spdpsba We faced a similar choice on battery size years ago, to go with a standard range X or long range.

The X is the least efficient car Tesla made, and with a standard range battery its probably got the lowest range, I get about 150-200 miles depending on weather, speed etc.

However SC is fast, easy, and our car is going to be 7 years old in 2024 with has 73k miles on the battery. This summer we drove to Itay, the longest day included driving from Lake Como to Bern. This was with a fully loaded car, 6 people + luggage whilst crossing one of the highest Alpine passes in Europe (Stelvio).

Last year we went to Norway and got as north as the Atlantic Highway, next summer will be more subdued due to needing to focus on house renovations, but we'll probably drive down to France somewhere (We've been to France every year since getting the car COVID aside.)

Only you know the value of the cost difference between SR and LR for your own usage/bank account. But every Tesla ever built was designed for long road trips, and have no issues traversing Europe, even our coming to up a decade old, small battery X!!!

53430715718_1ac9ff2c47_c_d.jpg

img

I should add, our daughter loves road trips, her friends cannot believe you can drive to these amazing places in Europe versus flying to some generic holiday resort. Having your own car gives you so much more freedom to explore Europe :).

53066196551_72133e00a3_c_d.jpg
Well said. I fully agree.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
My Model Y LR is currently parked at 80% & switching to miles the app shows 262 remaining (extrapolating = 328m@100%, 13 months old, 11k miles).

When I still had a lot of SuC miles remaining I did used to charge to 100% quite regularly on a journey so I could use them all before the May 4th deadline but with only 382 miles remaining now I just add what is needed to reach a destination at 10% min. Fully charging & departing immediately from a SuC has no adverse impact based on my experience with two Teslas.