Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" vs. 19" Cost Breakdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went through a detailed estimate of the cost of the 21" wheels over the lifetime of the Model S. My entire blog post can be found here: 19 Tesla Owner

In summary:

1. For my driving conditions, the 21" wheels will cost a total of 8.3K more than the 19" wheels over 15 years.
2. Tires are recycled or reused about 80% of the time, so I can feel okay about buying a few more tires.
3. The replacement costs of the Model S 21" tires will be less than the Roadster because the tires are cheaper and also the low mode of regenerative braking.
4. The 19" tires will only last 50% longer than the 21" tires.

In the end, I changed my order from 19" to 21" wheels.

I know these estimates are really just guesses but as reasonably accurate as I could make them.

I did forget one item on my original blog post. Eventually the 19" wheels will show some aging through the wheel itself. I didn't look into this issue much but my Tesla representative did mention this fact.

I went through a detailed estimate of the cost of the 21" wheels over the lifetime of the Model S. My entire blog post can be found here: 19 Tesla Owner

In summary:

1. For my driving conditions, the 21" wheels will cost a total of 8.3K more than the 19" wheels over 15 years.
2. Tires are recycled or reused about 80% of the time, so I can feel okay about buying a few more tires.
3. The replacement costs of the Model S 21" tires will be less than the Roadster because the tires are cheaper and also the low mode of regenerative braking.
4. The 19" tires will only last 50% longer than the 21" tires.

In the end, I changed my order from 19" to 21" wheels.

I know these estimates are really just guesses but as reasonably accurate as I could make them.

I did forget one item on my original blog post. Eventually the 19" wheels will show some aging through the wheel itself. I didn't look into this issue much but my Tesla representative did mention this fact.

Did you factor in the cost of damaging a 21" RIM vs a 19" RIM? With the low profile (I have experience w/ my 650i) you are more likely to damage the larger "ALUMINUM" rims than the smaller rims. The replacement cost will prohibit a lot of owners in getting the 21"s. As we all know local municipalities have less money to maintain our roads which means more pot holes!!

Did you factor in the cost of damaging a 21" RIM vs a 19" RIM? With the low profile (I have experience w/ my 650i) you are more likely to damage the larger "ALUMINUM" rims than the smaller rims. The replacement cost will prohibit a lot of owners in getting the 21"s. As we all know local municipalities have less money to maintain our roads which means more pot holes!!

Roads without pot-holes, you say? Gasp! Is there such a thing?

- says a fellow NJ driver. :(