Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 Inch Tires for Aftermarket wheel recommendations.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at exact same upgrade myself. Really concerned reading about all the hits to range on 22". Wondering if i get really light aftermarket forged rims (found some that are approx 30 lbs) with right rubber if i can negate the hit? What tires have the lowest rolling resistance in the 22" size?

Wondering if i get really light aftermarket forged rims (found some that are approx 30 lbs) with right rubber if i can negate the hit? What tires have the lowest rolling resistance in the 22" size?

It's a great idea but you will be disappointed. Set your expectations that 22's are for aesthetics and you will see a range penalty for it. Not to mention the higher risk of flats and blowouts. I run 22's in summer and 20's with snow tires in winter. If I was concerned about range at all I'd put LRR tires on 20's.

I'm upgrading my 20s to aftermarket 22s and was looking to get recommendations on the best tires to go with. I have been eyeing the Pirelli Zero Asimmetricos or ExtremeContact DWS06. Thanks in advance!
I have been running the Unplugged Performance UP-03 Super Lightweight Forged wheels with the titanium lugnuts. They are very high quality very well made forged wheels. I did a square setup with 22 x 9.5 rims and I run ExtremeContact DWS06 265/35-22 all the way around. These rims are as stated super light. I believe they weigh in around 22-23 lbs each. The ExtremeContact DWS06 is also one of the lighter tires available and reasonable priced with good performance attributes. I like the square setup because it allows me the ability to do tire rotations. I also can say that i suffer very little to no mileage penalty from running 22s on MX when compared to the 20s because they are so light weight. Perhaps the only down side is the limited towing capacity with the use of any 22" inch rims.

Reactions: VikH and DIL
I run stock pirelli 22s first set lasted me ~40k miles on staggered ...probably could have gone 50k no problem as the wear was even ...as far as range hits ..yes 22s I take a range hit ;)..don’t think I have ever been able to get more than 220miles on 90% charge driving at 70mph

How is the handling and ride quality on MX w/ UP rims? I have 21” arachnids on my MS and prefer the sporty/firm ride.

I have been running the Unplugged Performance UP-03 Super Lightweight Forged wheels with the titanium lugnuts. They are very high quality very well made forged wheels. I did a square setup with 22 x 9.5 rims and I run ExtremeContact DWS06 265/35-22 all the way around. These rims are as stated super light. I believe they weigh in around 22-23 lbs each. The ExtremeContact DWS06 is also one of the lighter tires available and reasonable priced with good performance attributes. I like the square setup because it allows me the ability to do tire rotations. I also can say that i suffer very little to no mileage penalty from running 22s on MX when compared to the 20s because they are so light weight. Perhaps the only down side is the limited towing capacity with the use of any 22" inch rims.

Range penalty will depend on driving.
On the highway the aerodynamics of a "pretty" rim are going to hurt.

Heavy wheel weight can have an impact when frequent acceleration and poor regen utilization, but for high speed cruise is complete non-factor.

Folks here are irrationally fixated on wheel weight, yes it can matter, but not nearly as much as you assume.

Range penalty will depend on driving.
On the highway the aerodynamics of a "pretty" rim are going to hurt.

Heavy wheel weight can have an impact when frequent acceleration and poor regen utilization, but for high speed cruise is complete non-factor.

Folks here are irrationally fixated on wheel weight, yes it can matter, but not nearly as much as you assume.
Highway driving still has a 15-20% range penalty. It’s been shown many times over.
Here's how tire and wheel choice affects electric vehicle range

I haven't watched that video at least not recently.
That said read the two paragraphs under the XL1 pic.
He correctly states performance tires hurt range then ignores the supplied tires in the next paragraph talking about rim diameter..............
Meaning that article is entertainment not coherent study.

I haven't watched that video at least not recently.
That said read the two paragraphs under the XL1 pic.
He correctly states performance tires hurt range then ignores the supplied tires in the next paragraph talking about rim diameter..............
Meaning that article is entertainment not coherent study.
Maybe you should watch the video then before responding.