Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'22 SLR: Is This PPF on Door Handle That's Peeling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gravastar

Jack of all trades, master of none
Aug 31, 2018
Dallas
(See this link, TMC might be having problems accepting images?)

I knew there was PPF applied at factory on rear quarter panels but didn't know door handles had it too? Or is this something else? It almost looks like temporary protection film you see on electronic devices that are intended to be removed when unpackaging... but this isn't that.

EDIT-1: Image won't upload
EDIT-2: Damn, can't use a presigned link to S3?
EDIT-3: Here's the actual link URL <removed>
EDIT-4: OMG!!! Try this link https://bit.ly/3Kfp18n

Last edited:
I don't know how old your car is, but it could be a protective film that's been on there too long and dried up.

Your choices are to schedule an appointment and have Tesla deal with it, or pull hard in an attempt to remove it, and hope it's a film instead of the painted clear coat. If it's the painted clear coat and you pull on it, you may risk Tesla blaming it on you.

• Helpful
Reactions: gravastar
I don't know how old your car is, but it could be a protective film that's been on there too long and dried up.

Your choices are to schedule an appointment and have Tesla deal with it, or pull hard in an attempt to remove it, and hope it's a film instead of the painted clear coat. If it's the painted clear coat and you pull on it, you may risk Tesla blaming it on you.
Haha! There’s Murphy’s Law for you… I pull, then get the blame. Car is a ‘22 that I’ve had since Dec ‘21.

I scheduled appt vía app and they almost immediately responded confirming no charge but didn’t didn’t say it was/wasn’t PPF.

Then also included a line item to the service call labeled ‘boombox firmware correction’ which immediately sent my brain to screen saver. Isn’t firmware OTA? And I’m not sure the last time I used it anyway. I hope it’s cover to upgrading storage to give me Steam. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Then also included a line item to the service call labeled ‘boombox firmware correction’ which immediately sent my brain to screen saver. Isn’t firmware OTA? And I’m not sure the last time I used it anyway. I hope it’s cover to upgrading storage to give me Steam. Fingers crossed.
RE isn't firmware OTA, not necessarily. There are multiple layers to what many think of as "just software". Firmware typically will refer to a level of software that's installed into the hardware at the lowest level and tells it how to even talk to the operating system level. This would include the layer that even allows it to talk with outside world to even load on OTA for the application layers build on top of the firmware. So yes, it's routine for anything that requires an actual firmware update to require a physical programming tool to be connected to the device.

Now I have no idea what the firmware update for you means, whether it is related to giving you Steam capability or not.

• Helpful
Reactions: gravastar
Any updates on this? I just got a new 2024 MSLR with some tape on the handles and it’s peeling and looks terrible up and close. Thank you
IMG_2590.jpeg