Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22" Wheels on a 2014 P85D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading some old posts, I decided to start one of my own to get some advice for my specific situation.

I own a 2014 P85D with the plus (air) suspension. I also installed the unplugged lowering kit a few months back. My current wheels are the staggered 21" turbine wheel setup.

I'm thinking about upgrading to 22" wheels. I've seen a few posts with tire/wheel sizes people here are running.

Is there a "definitive" size tire/wheel I should get?
Will I need to match the 21" diameter closely, or did the update that allowed you to change your wheel size through the MCU change that requirement at all?
Has anyone run 22" wheels on the plus suspension? I assume it's not a big deal, just checking before I invest the money into the new setup.
Any advice from someone that has had this setup for some time would also be appreciated.

I realize there is a majority of people that will say not to get wheels like this for a myriad of reasons. Im aware of the inherent risks and downsides. I'm willing to deal with all of those.

Front: 22x9 Wheel, 245/30/22 Tire.
Rear: 22x10.5 Wheel, 285/30/22 Tire

The outer diameter of that setup matches OEM close enough, and doesn't cause any issues with the ECU.

I had 22's on my P90D with Air Suspension for a couple years, it looks great. Just remember that those tires are quite thin, and will be prone to bending your wheels (like I did mine).

I eventually switched to 21's of the same width to give myself a little less to worry about when daily driving. But that's just me, don't let it sway you - they fit, they work, and if you like it, go for it.

7oA6Bhw.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: sdq_11 and All In
Thank you for the reply. That setup looks great! Mine is daily driver (for the most part, have a second car I can use) so the curbing a wheel is something that would be a concern for me.

Was yours lowered at all?

Wonder if anyone has heard of a way to fool the ECU into accepting a bigger tire.

I think the plus suspension will make you even more vulnerable to wheel damage. The plus suspension is great and very responsive, but it is stiffer than the standard air suspension. The plus suspension will absorb less energy in the bumps, and the wheels and chassis will end up taking more of it.

Thank you for the reply. That setup looks great! Mine is daily driver (for the most part, have a second car I can use) so the curbing a wheel is something that would be a concern for me.

Was yours lowered at all?

Wonder if anyone has heard of a way to fool the ECU into accepting a bigger tire.

Mine was lowered with Unplugged Brackets.

You don't need to fool the ECU into accepting a bigger tire, it doesn't care. I had 255/30/22 and 285/30/22 on my car at one point, and from an ECU standpoint it was just fine....but it rubbed like crazy all the time.

I think the plus suspension will make you even more vulnerable to wheel damage. The plus suspension is great and very responsive, but it is stiffer than the standard air suspension. The plus suspension will absorb less energy in the bumps, and the wheels and chassis will end up taking more of it.

Im curious if anyone has put 22" on a plus suspension MS

Stock height; position for picture set in LOW setting.
Front = 9.0”
Rear = 10.5”
> some slight smooth rubbing when going in reverse, but worth the trade-off for the stance.
> ride feels the same way as it was with my 21” turbines.
> you won’t want to go any larger this this set up.
53C687F9-3FED-4AD6-91D9-0F50EA52EBB8.jpeg

Reactions: All In
Did you experience any issues with the vossen wheels? With just the unplugged kit? What’s your new set up? Thanks

No issues with the Vossen 22's. I'd actually recommend Lowering Links instead of the unplugged kit - the unplugged brackets are not adjustable, so if you don't like the height, you're SOL.

I currently have 21" Vossen HF4T's with Lowering Links and the EV Tuning Adjustable Upper control Arms (camber kit)

No issues with the Vossen 22's. I'd actually recommend Lowering Links instead of the unplugged kit - the unplugged brackets are not adjustable, so if you don't like the height, you're SOL.

I currently have 21" Vossen HF4T's with Lowering Links and the EV Tuning Adjustable Upper control Arms (camber kit)
nice and pics?! I got the same vossen hf4t in 21x9 +30 and 21x10.5 +38 . I don’t want slam it I just want to be able to close the fender and wheel gap. U think I will have any issues not running adjustable control arms?

Front: 22x9 Wheel, 245/30/22 Tire.
Rear: 22x10.5 Wheel, 285/30/22 Tire

The outer diameter of that setup matches OEM close enough, and doesn't cause any issues with the ECU.

I had 22's on my P90D with Air Suspension for a couple years, it looks great. Just remember that those tires are quite thin, and will be prone to bending your wheels (like I did mine).

I eventually switched to 21's of the same width to give myself a little less to worry about when daily driving. But that's just me, don't let it sway you - they fit, they work, and if you like it, go for it.

7oA6Bhw.jpg
I have 22 on my car. Black special rims . All chrome is rapped. Or is it de chromed. Entire car has real carbon fiber in and out.